Buying car from Ontario then swapping engine

ElliottG

Hi guys

I was curious what the process is if I want to buy a car from Ontario with a blown engine, bring it to Quebec, and then swap an engine from a different car into it.

How would you go about doing it since an inspection is required once you get it to Quebec if you want it licensed for the road, but they won't inspect it if the engine is blown, would they?

Obviously I'd like to get it registered in Quebec before I do the engine swap since I don't want any problems with them for that... And I don't plan on rebuilding the blown engine that's in it either...

What do you guys think?

Car needs to be in running condition for the inspection.

Alright. Do they do any scans on the ECU? If I did do the swap first and then got it inspected, what things in terms of engine do they look for? Emissions equipment needs to be in place of the original car? I want to convert it from gas to diesel...I guess it's just easier to find a donor car from Quebec then :(

Alright. Do they do any scans on the ECU? If I did do the swap first and then got it inspected, what things in terms of engine do they look for? Emissions equipment needs to be in place of the original car? I want to convert it from gas to diesel...I guess it's just easier to find a donor car from Quebec then :(

Je crois que ton meilleur bet serais vraiment d'apeller directement la bas et leur demander ce qu'il en retourne. Souvent c'est des garage indépendant (ici c'est un dealer Honda) pas vraiment rélié a la SAAQ alors ils sont lousse un peu meme si ils ont des compte a rendre. Moi le check engine d'allumé ca leur derangeait pas mais abs et srs devais etre eteint.

They don't scan anything... Or really look at the engine. Most they check in the engine bay is for a loose battery

Engine swap are fine
This is a safety check...lights, horn, washer fluid, wiper, seat belt etc...
Engine compartment, good engine mount, battery support

Engine swap is mostly a problem with your insurer. If you don't tell them and something happen....well you could be in real s**t for breech of contract.

Il vérifie si toute est sécuritaire, en bonne condition et solidement fixé.

Mon chum a passé 3x a l'inspection (police...) avec son Dakota R/T

Y'avait un 360 avec des headers et une ligne 3 pouces double sans silencieux ni Cat. A l'inspection ca disait que le systeme d'échappement était en bonne condition, solidement fixé et ne présentait pas de fuite.

Mon chum a meme passé sa Supra avec le spare dessus (mag était croche)

Back