Confession automobile thread

Not faster? Dude, where have you been? Driven anything modern lately?

Modern vehicles are so fast these days it's ridiculous.

An Integra GS-R used to be a "fast car" 20 years ago. It takes 7.4 seconds to get to 100kmh according to the 1999 Guide de l'auto. This was significantly faster than most new cars on the road back in the day. The V6 accord coupe (auto) was listed at 8.4s. V6 Camry at 9 and 4 cylinder camry at 11.7s.

Fast forward to now and it gets spanked by a Ford Escape 2.0T (6.8 - 7.1) or ginormous super crew F-150 (5.7 (2.7TT) to 6.3 (5.0) according to some tests on the internet. These are perennial best sellers. They're what joe public is driving off the lots in.

That F-150 would likely be neck and neck/slightly faster than a first Gen VW R32 "hot hatch"

Audi claims 5.6 seconds 0-60mph for the mainstream 2019 2.0T A4. The 2018 2.0T accord was tested at 5.7 and the 2018 v6 Camry at 5.8 by motor trend.

Let that sink in for a second. These are your average midsize sedans...

One of the few vehicles I've seen go "down in power / up in size" is the new VW Tiguan. The new model is "down" to 184hp from 200hp in the name of efficiency. I'm sure it has no issues performing DD duties even at that lesser power level.

Those midsize sedans are 35-40k, they aren't really your average car. If you look at the Quebec market, people actually buy 1.8l CVT Qashqais and 140-160hp compact cars. My Elentra has 150 (korean) hp, but with the automacrap transmission and extra weight, it's hardly faster than a good old Civic 1.6l in real life, especially en reprise since there's no kickdown switch under the pedal. I'm sure that the 0-100 is a second faster on paper, but in real life the difference isn't that big.

Last edited:
Those midsize sedans are 35-40k, they aren't really your average car. If you look at the Quebec market, people actually buy 1.8l CVT Qashqais and 140-160hp compact cars. My Elentra has 150 (korean) hp, but with the automacrap transmission and extra weight, it's hardly faster than a good old Civic 1.6l in real life, especially en reprise since there's no kickdown switch under the pedal. I'm sure that the 0-100 is a second faster on paper, but in real life the difference isn't that big.

35k-40k c'est rendu pas mal le prix d'un average car me semble.

Et je comprends pas ta dernière affirmation.
Une seconde de différence sur un 0-100 , cest énorme.
C'est clair que tu le ressens "in real life".
T'essaye de défendre l'indéfendable .

Je suis puzzle ben raide avec ma voiture.

Va au travail... Reviens. Tombe en vacance, arrive partir... Char part pas.

Pas de check engine, la fuel pump start, j'ai même craquer l'écrou du filtre à essence et ça coule quand je mets la clef à on. Mon timing est bon (la base est a tdc et la tête est aligner, donc oui la timing belt est la a pas skipper de dents)

J'ai vu du spark (tester seulement sur le 4eme cylindre par ce que je suis tout seul.
Mon distributeur a les bonnes valeurs de résistance.
Mes spark plugs sont encore correct mais sont du dans pas long...
Mes injecteurs ont tous 12v quand la clef est à on.
Mes plugs d'ordi sont ultra clean, zero corrosion.
Mes 3 grounds sont bien (thermostat, transmission et valve cover)
J'ai même ajouté un ground pour tester...

Civic eg 95 ben ben stock
Fusibles!

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

Confession que a chaque fois que je regarde bien vite une BMW génération E3X de profil, je pense a une Tercel!

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

35k-40k c'est rendu pas mal le prix d'un average car me semble.

Et je comprends pas ta dernière affirmation.
Une seconde de différence sur un 0-100 , cest énorme.
C'est clair que tu le ressens "in real life".

Ils tweakent mieux les chars pour avoir de bons 0-100 qu'avant. Déjà, une civic 1.6 hatchback ça venait en 175-70-13 de série. Avec mes falken d'été en 195-60-14, je sauvais probablement autour de .3 seconde sur l'écart papier de 1 seconde (peut être moins que ça j'ai pas les chiffres officiels sous la main)

Puis une auto récente c'est plus gros, plus haut, plus isolé, la suspension squat moins, donc tu feel moins l'accélération. Et comme je dis la Hyundai n'a pas de kickdown switch. L'autre jour ma mère conduisait et me disait "elle accélère moins que ma Fit manuelle pour dépasser rapidement". Je lui dis voyons donc, elle a 35hp de plus, faut juste que tu donnes un coup de gaz rapide pour que ça kickdown. Sur le chemin du retour je conduis et test le kickdown et en effet, y'a pas de switch, pis l'ordi prend une bonne demi seconde avant de décider s'il downshift ou pas. Donc dans la vraie vie tu te fais bouffer .5-1 seconde à l'accélération à cause de l'ordi niaiseux. Évidemment, si t'as une DSG ou une manuelle ça ne s'applique pas.

Ça a l'air de prendre 9 secondes

Une civic ça doit être 9.5 avec de bons pneus, pas besoin de passer la 3ième vitesse sur la hatchback.
sedan manuelle

Je suis puzzle ben raide avec ma voiture.

Va au travail... Reviens. Tombe en vacance, arrive partir... Char part pas.

Pas de check engine, la fuel pump start, j'ai même craquer l'écrou du filtre à essence et ça coule quand je mets la clef à on. Mon timing est bon (la base est a tdc et la tête est aligner, donc oui la timing belt est la a pas skipper de dents)

J'ai vu du spark (tester seulement sur le 4eme cylindre par ce que je suis tout seul.
Mon distributeur a les bonnes valeurs de résistance.
Mes spark plugs sont encore correct mais sont du dans pas long...
Mes injecteurs ont tous 12v quand la clef est à on.
Mes plugs d'ordi sont ultra clean, zero corrosion.
Mes 3 grounds sont bien (thermostat, transmission et valve cover)
J'ai même ajouté un ground pour tester...

Civic eg 95 ben ben stock

Finalement le spark etait weak... J'ai retester avec un outil puis j'ai juste pus de feu...

36k was the average car price in Canada last year...

Besides, every category has seen significant increases in power. The average EK civic had 106hp and 103 lb.ft of torque. The common 1.5T now has 174 and 162lb.ft of torque. It's gone from a 9.2 second (stick shift) down to 6.8 with the CVT. It's obvious the automatic civic from back then was even slower. More so if it's not a 3d hatch. There's a significant difference there I'd say.

Jeep Wranglers with the almighty 4.0L had 180hp. They have 285 now. It used to take 8.6 second from 0-100, now it's 6.1 on a stick shift 2 door v6. We're not talking about a vehicle whose purpose was ever about speed and I'm comparing the old "top" motor to the new base motor. I'm sure the comparison between an old dodge caravan and the new ones would show a significant difference in performance as well.

New cars get better performance and do so in a quieter, more controlled manner. It doesn't feel as if we're going as fast or working the car as hard. They're also much safer.

36k was the average car price in Canada last year...

Besides, every category has seen significant increases in power. The average EK civic had 106hp and 103 lb.ft of torque. The common 1.5T now has 174 and 162lb.ft of torque. It's gone from a 9.2 second (stick shift) down to 6.8 with the CVT. It's obvious the automatic civic from back then was even slower. More so if it's not a 3d hatch. There's a significant difference there I'd say.

Jeep Wranglers with the almighty 4.0L had 180hp. They have 285 now. It used to take 8.6 second from 0-100, now it's 6.1 on a stick shift 2 door v6. We're not talking about a vehicle whose purpose was ever about speed and I'm comparing the old "top" motor to the new base motor. I'm sure the comparison between an old dodge caravan and the new ones would show a significant difference in performance as well.

New cars get better performance and do so in a quieter, more controlled manner. It doesn't feel as if we're going as fast or working the car as hard. They're also much safer.
Average civic has the 2.0, not the 1.5t. I get your point, but real life performance improvements aren't as good as they make it seem on paper imo, especially when we compare NA vs NA and not NA vs turbo.

La position de conduite d’un Grand Cherokee WK est bizarre en esti. Le plafond qui descend en avant donne une drôle d’impression sur la route.

Not faster? Dude, where have you been? Driven anything modern lately?

Modern vehicles are so fast these days it's ridiculous.

An Integra GS-R used to be a "fast car" 20 years ago. It takes 7.4 seconds to get to 100kmh according to the 1999 Guide de l'auto. This was significantly faster than most new cars on the road back in the day. The V6 accord coupe (auto) was listed at 8.4s. V6 Camry at 9 and 4 cylinder camry at 11.7s.

Fast forward to now and it gets spanked by a Ford Escape 2.0T (6.8 - 7.1) or ginormous super crew F-150 (5.7 (2.7TT) to 6.3 (5.0) according to some tests on the internet. These are perennial best sellers. They're what joe public is driving off the lots in.

That F-150 would likely be neck and neck/slightly faster than a first Gen VW R32 "hot hatch"

Audi claims 5.6 seconds 0-60mph for the mainstream 2019 2.0T A4. The 2018 2.0T accord was tested at 5.7 and the 2018 v6 Camry at 5.8 by motor trend.

Let that sink in for a second. These are your average midsize sedans...

One of the few vehicles I've seen go "down in power / up in size" is the new VW Tiguan. The new model is "down" to 184hp from 200hp in the name of efficiency. I'm sure it has no issues performing DD duties even at that lesser power level.

Yes many segments are much quicker than they used to be (most in fact). I never said cars aren't getting more powerful. The increase in quickness and efficiency hasn't been in balance with the increase in power and technology because they keep increasing size and adding useless features. And Broody's post refers more to the types of cars I'm taking about. I often check specs on new cars and see 0-60 times of 8-9 seconds.. Just can't believe anything coming out these days is that slow.

An Integra GSR was never fast by any standard. A 1997 Camry V6 5 Speed did 0-60 in 7 flat with 194hp. Sure a V6 Camry does it in 5.8 now but it needs 301hp to do it. The 203hp Camry XLE now needs 7.6 seconds to get to 60, with technology that's 22 years newer.

Jme demandais bien pourquoi les fils de speaker sur mon catfish fittais pantoute !!!

J'étais sur que l'ancien proprio avais enlever l'amp Monsoon quand ya poser le headunit.

Bin non cris. Head unit -> Amp -> Amp lol ça faisais pas débile.

Mais bon tout est fontionnel et reste juste a finir le fillage

And Broody's post refers more to the types of cars I'm taking about. I often check specs on new cars and see 0-60 times of 8-9 seconds.. Just can't believe anything coming out these days is that slow.

An Integra GSR was never fast by any standard. A 1997 Camry V6 5 Speed did 0-60 in 7 flat with 194hp. Sure a V6 Camry does it in 5.8 now but it needs 301hp to do it. The 203hp Camry XLE now needs 7.6 seconds to get to 60, with technology that's 22 years newer.

The only stragglers are economy cars and subcompacts. Their price hasn't increased as fast as other segments either. These buyers want safety and a low cost of entry. Can't have top shelf performance too.

The GS-R was very much a mainstream performance car back in the days. It would trounce the overwhelming majority of cars on the road back then and most of it's competitors. (240sx, VR6 VW, Celica GT-S) J-Body Cavaliers were 9-12 second cars. So were most vans. Utility vehicles and trucks were in the 10-12 second range. There weren't many cars out on the road that could take it on, let alone outrun it.

Fast forward to today and a bone stock GSR should probably think twice before "racing" against a dodge grand caravan from enterprise rent a car.

Mon focus SVT était un pas pire performer en 2002..mais aujourd'hui je me fais torcher par des petit SUV, char de tout les jours.
Oui mon maxima 2001 avait de meilleur perfo que mon SVT...mais c'était pas le meme calibre de char pentoute.....aujourd'hui tout est au niveau de mon maxima SE 2001 côté luxe aussi.

je confesse que la nouvelle cayman gt4 viens finalement d'être annoncée avec un flat 6 N/A de 4.0L et une manuelle 6 vitesses et je la veux plus que jamais

The only stragglers are economy cars and subcompacts. Their price hasn't increased as fast as other segments either. These buyers want safety and a low cost of entry. Can't have top shelf performance too.

The GS-R was very much a mainstream performance car back in the days. It would trounce the overwhelming majority of cars on the road back then and most of it's competitors. (240sx, VR6 VW, Celica GT-S) J-Body Cavaliers were 9-12 second cars. So were most vans. Utility vehicles and trucks were in the 10-12 second range. There weren't many cars out on the road that could take it on, let alone outrun it.

Fast forward to today and a bone stock GSR should probably think twice before "racing" against a dodge grand caravan from enterprise rent a car.
totally agree. but despite the relative slowness of yesterday's Integra GSR, I still find it's one of the best looking sport compacts ever to come out of Japan.

Today, I couldn't care less about 0-100 times, top speed, peak power...it's almost meaningless. If Acura built a brand new 1997 Integra, I'd have it over the fastest compact on the market any day.

Man that was a good era for cars...

4b64f65afff13ae1a9f20f3e147fca34.jpg

Je venait de finir une grosse maintenance sur le 3000gt spyder du bo pere, jpensais avoir du temps pour m'occuper du miens. Mais comme ya 61 ans pi qu'il a hate d'en profiter, front turbo smokes, 4WS coule en arrière au dessus du différentielle, fak on va lui arranger ça pas cher en priorité! On remet sa sur des chandelles en fds.

Je viens d'y commandé 2x CHRA turbo TD04 9b rebuild pour 435$ us (shop sur FB en oregon), 2 gaskets de couvert de valves oem pour 93$ us(partsouq.com, fucking moins chere que dealer locaux), je lui ai trouvé un 4WS delete kit gratis que j'avais en stock a maison en double a un ami, il lui donne en échange de parts usagé lol.

Je me surprend de lui avoir trouvé autant d'aubaine!

Ben hate d'y accrocher un sourire dans face.

J ai fait des backfire sous un viaduc plein de police qui regardait le monde dans l'autre direction.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back