Porsche 919 Evo: 5:19.55 New Ring Record

Gregster

Legacy Member
The 919 EVO just shattered the 962s record at the ring. 5:19.55 is the new benchmark

https://press.porsche.com/prod/pres...nsf/Content?ReadForm&languageversionid=875290
7ff65b27cdf32231a9e01bf942673d80.jpg

Once I had a chance to look at the video, I realized how short the "ring really is. At times, he looked busier sawing the wheel than a sub minute lap at ASE.

Mind blowing - car doing 5:19 at the ring and 1:04 at Mosport- what did that older F1 car do at RA?

Tabarnak!!!
Ca accélère rageusement a 200, y shift la 7 a 300 et atteint 368km/h. Irréel.

allo le downforce et le power !

Le monde pogne la carousel autour de 80km/h, lui il passe a coté a 100km/h lol

Et il y a 2 place sur la piste que les char normale décolle de terre et lui il suit la piste collé dessus.

Juste wow

I'm impressed but still staggered by the 956s time. All the modern tech, modern tires and the 919 only after 20km and 150 corners is only 5:19 Vs 6:11 ..

Doux jésus, le vidéo a l’air fast forwarded ca l’a juste pas de sens, on dirait que ca défit les lois de la physique lol

Once I had a chance to look at the video, I realized how short the "ring really is. At times, he looked busier sawing the wheel than a sub minute lap at ASE.

Mind blowing - car doing 5:19 at the ring and 1:04 at Mosport- what did that older F1 car do at RA?

1.01.2 using the potato camera

I'm impressed but still staggered by the 956s time. All the modern tech, modern tires and the 919 only after 20km and 150 corners is only 5:19 Vs 6:11 ..

Exactly, color me not impressed.

Just goes to show how high tech and way ahead of their time those Group C cars were. Will never forget the one and only time they came to Montreal 1990, a car sucked an iron manhole right out of the ground and spit it out almost killing the driver following. Shows how much downforce could be achieved with full ground effects. The Sauber C9 was near 6000lbs of downforce at over 200mph, (twice the amount of F1 cars from late 80's) I would imagine the 956 was just slightly less. The 956 had only 650hp, H pattern 5 speed and 3 pedals. Factor 100+ shifts for Bellof's lap and he was running a legal car during a race weekend. The 919 is pushing over 1100hp, using illegal WEC rules aero package (running DRS) and probably made up a good portion of the lap time going over 350km for 1/2 a minute on the straight. Not sure why everyone is so impressed, a 956 or a C9 can probably get close just by using modern compound slicks of today.

we are impressed because it is impressive no matter how they did it- not taking away past records impression, but that is old news.

we are impressed because it is impressive no matter how they did it- not taking away past records impression, but that is old news.

The sheer number looks impressive can't deny that, I just wanted to add to Greg's comment on 'modern tech, tires and only 5:19 Vs 6:11'.

When you factor in this was an illegal purpose built car, the electric motor just for the front wheels alone is almost the power for the entire 956, regen braking, KERS, non spec ground effects, illegal active aero, DRS....this isn't a car anymore but more like a rolling PC. Michelin even made a special tire just for this run yet with no traffic at all and no cars to pass this rolling computer with 90% more hp than a 956 could only go 50 seconds faster? Context is very important here and only highlights how incredible Group C cars were 30 years earlier.

The sheer number looks impressive can't deny that, I just wanted to add to Greg's comment on 'modern tech, tires and only 5:19 Vs 6:11'.

When you factor in this was an illegal purpose built car, the electric motor just for the front wheels alone is almost the power for the entire 956, regen braking, KERS, non spec ground effects, illegal active aero, DRS....this isn't a car anymore but more like a rolling PC. Michelin even made a special tire just for this run yet with no traffic at all and no cars to pass this rolling computer with 90% more hp than a 956 could only go 50 seconds faster? Context is very important here and only highlights how incredible Group C cars were 30 years earlier.

Not really. It was a spec car, then modified to break the rules. Had it been build from the ground up to be open class and it had that time I would be less impressed.

6:16= 376 seconds
5:19 = 319 seconds

Delta = ~ -15%

To be honest the next big step is full active aero. The cars are practically planes on the ground with the speeds they're going, why not have flaps and rudders. The Hurican Performante is a prime example of just how much it can make a difference.

Not really. It was a spec car, then modified to break the rules. Had it been build from the ground up to be open class and it had that time I would be less impressed.

Delta = ~ -15%

To be honest the next big step is full active aero. The cars are practically planes on the ground with the speeds they're going, why not have flaps and rudders. The Hurican Performante is a prime example of just how much it can make a difference.

That was the next step for F1 after active suspension, Patrick Head and Newey started experimenting with it. Teams such as Redbull experimented with the active aero concepts such as the flexible wing years ago.. The FIA now mandates the amount of flex parts can have.. Full active aero is banned for safety reasons. The cars would be insanely fast and development costs would be insano. Same in the early days of DRS, drivers would open it up in the corners.

Delta = ~ -15%

You just made my point...that a specially modified one-off (illegal) car with every single technology available (legal or not) along with a special designed tire was required to take 15% off the record. There is a reason for this. It's very possible a 919 running legal WEC rules and without special tires would not have beaten the record which would have been a PR embarrassment Porsche wouldn't want to chance.

That was the next step for F1 after active suspension, Patrick Head and Newey started experimenting with it. Teams such as Redbull experimented with the active aero concepts such as the flexible wing years ago.. The FIA now mandates the amount of flex parts can have.. Full active aero is banned for safety reasons. The cars would be insanely fast and development costs would be insano. Same in the early days of DRS, drivers would open it up in the corners.

This ^^. Active aero is not new. Apart from being insanely fast and expensive it would not solve the problem of turbulence and would only make following another car even worse and not solve the problem of passing in F1. You'd have cars with rudders, elevators, X-wings everywhere. They need to go back to basics, the aero needs to be under the car like it was from the 80's - early 90's and not on top. Bring back flat bottoms and some ground effects, you wouldn't even need wings. The Brabham BT49 and Lotus 78 had enough downforce and raced without a front wing and most circuits would run with hardly any rear wing too.

You just made my point...that a specially modified one-off (illegal) car with every single technology available (legal or not) along with a special designed tire was required to take 15% off the record. There is a reason for this. It's very possible a 919 running legal WEC rules and without special tires would not have beaten the record which would have been a PR embarrassment Porsche wouldn't want to chance.

This ^^. Active aero is not new. Apart from being insanely fast and expensive it would not solve the problem of turbulence and would only make following another car even worse and not solve the problem of passing in F1. You'd have cars with rudders, elevators, X-wings everywhere. They need to go back to basics, the aero needs to be under the car like it was from the 80's - early 90's and not on top. Bring back flat bottoms and some ground effects, you wouldn't even need wings. The Brabham BT49 and Lotus 78 had enough downforce and raced without a front wing and most circuits would run with hardly any rear wing too.
Liberty and the FIA are looking into bringing back ground effects but teams say they will need adaptive suspension to make it work properly specifically Mercedes as guess what they have a working model. Wings on ground effects cars were a driver prefrence thing.. as it could add understeer or oversteer.

I'd like to see active suspension but it would need to be a spec part

Back