Upcoming Scotland trip - Driving experience welcome

Snail

Banned
Later this month, we'll be in Scotland for 4 days, mostly in Edinburgh and the Highlands. I'll be hiring a petrol motorcarriiage, without a doubt.

Has anyone rented a car there? How's the parking situation; cheap and easy? Rare, expensive and painful? Somewhere in between and on par with most cities?

Any very useful recommendations and not so obvious tips on how to survive the UK driving experience? It's the first time in a RHD driving on the wrong side of the road, so I'm a little nervous. And out of the 4 people, I'll be the sole driver since my wife has only been driving for 12 months and the two others don't have a license.

I'm very much looking forward to getting to the Highlands. I've read a lot of good things.

Dont have any tips but i ll be waiting for any inputs since i ll be in scotland and ireland for all sept. and driving for the most part.

1 question though, i ve read that we dont need the international driving licence. Correct?

Have a great time there

I've been to the UK enough... .

1. Roundabouts
2. The smaller the car the better, village roads, car parks etc are narrow and small.
3. Gas is sold in liters but speed and distance is in MPH
4.Scottish Highlands , watch out for sheep. If you hit a sheep you must report it to the cops
5. Driving is fine, just follow traffic. Traffic rules are close enough to here

Beware of AVG speed cameras on motorways and especially in construction zones.

Parking is going to be expensive in Edinburgh but only because the £ Vs CAD is crap. Look for hotels that offer free parking or air bnbs that have parking

Here is what you need to watch for. Your cc will cover the loss of the car and loss of use usually between 50-60k cad... You might want to purchase supplemental insurance. Also rental car companies check the wheels for curb damage, especially the FL

Ask me more about UK and Ireland I can answer

Dont have any tips but i ll be waiting for any inputs since i ll be in scotland and ireland for all sept. and driving for the most part.

1 question though, i ve read that we dont need the international driving licence. Correct?

Have a great time there
Very cool! I'll re-post my experience here when I'm back so you can check it out. And no, from what I read, you don't need an international driver's license in Scotland. UK, I assume not wither.

I've been to the UK enough... .

1. Roundabouts
2. The smaller the car the better, village roads, car parks etc are narrow and small.
3. Gas is sold in liters but speed and distance is in MPH
4.Scottish Highlands , watch out for sheep. If you hit a sheep you must report it to the cops
5. Driving is fine, just follow traffic. Traffic rules are close enough to here

Beware of AVG speed cameras on motorways and especially in construction zones.

Parking is going to be expensive in Edinburgh but only because the £ Vs CAD is crap. Look for hotels that offer free parking or air bnbs that have parking

Here is what you need to watch for. Your cc will cover the loss of the car and loss of use usually between 50-60k cad... You might want to purchase supplemental insurance. Also rental car companies check the wheels for curb damage, especially the FL

Ask me more about UK and Ireland I can answer
Great, thanks for the input! I got 4 tickets in Italy, so I need to watch my speed a lot closer than I thought necessary.

Interesting about the sheep hazard.

I'll probably be renting the smallest thing with 4 seats.

Very cool! I'll re-post my experience here when I'm back so you can check it out. And no, from what I read, you don't need an international driver's license in Scotland. UK, I assume not wither.
You don't need an "international driver's license" I've never been asked for one in the UK , Ireland, Germany etc It's such a scam, seriously the document is a joke

In Ireland you need to provide written proof from your CC company that they have rental coverage. If not you are forced to take supplemental insurance

Why need additional insurance than cc? Cc insurance doesn't state (from memory) a max coverage amount, they do however specify type of car categories not covered and it's loosely defined. Any 4 door compact or sedan taken at a rental car agency will be fully covered for theft, collision, whatever.

Ask me how I know... There's a post from me somewhere here on this forum.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Why need additional insurance than cc? Cc insurance doesn't state (from memory) a max coverage amount, they do however specify type of car categories not covered and it's loosely defined. Any 4 door compact or sedan taken at a rental car agency will be fully covered for theft, collision, whatever.

Ask me how I know... There's a post from me somewhere here on this forum.

The coverage is in CAD but you will be billed for damage, loss of use or total car replacement in GBP. Do the math... Keep that in mind

They pay in local currency. You dont pay yourself.

I'd have to go back to the fineprint on max coverage

They pay in local currency. You dont pay yourself.

I'd have to go back to the fineprint on max coverage

You might want to re- read that. Mine specifically states value covered 65k Canadain Dollars" TD aeroplan

d0e360dccea4b8b0991bd95cb082c1e2.jpg

I've had to make a £900 claim on a car and asked about it if a total loss.

Yes, 65k cad... But realistically, no 4 door compact or sedan at the mainstream car rental agencies costs that much in any country. So why bother with incremental insurance?

Regarding RHD, it’s fine as long as you constantly think about it when there is low traffic. As long as you see cars it’s easy to adapt, when you are alone on the road you tend to forget and get back to the right. Your passengers will be helpful sometimes ^^
You rent a manual ? It’s fun
I did not go to Scotland, I’ve been to Ireland west coast, cliffs, etc. with a friend and a rental. Great experience. Awesome local roads. Speed limits were a challenge.
Scotland is a must-see, I’m looking forward to visit and hike. You’ll have a nice trip !

Yes, 65k cad... But realistically, no 4 door compact or sedan at the mainstream car rental agencies costs that much in any country. So why bother with incremental insurance?

If you end up with something decent it adds up. All I was saying is watch out and make sure you have proper coverage

Je reviens d'un voyage en Irlande, mon père chauffait. Assire toi d'avoir une lettre de ta carte de crédit qui statue que ton assurance est valide en Irlande, c'est super important. Assure toi qu'il n'y a pas d'erreur dans la lettre, ils vont tout faire pour te charger leur assurance et te feront peur avec les frais en cas d'accident. Il y a des lignes partout sur les voies qui indiquent les directions, les gens sont super courtois sur la route et sont conscients des touristes donc ça s'est super bien passé. Mon père a eu un 5-10 minutes pour s'habituer à shifter de la main gauche mais après c'était correct. Essaie d'avoir un bon copilote à côté de toi, au début tu as toujours le réflexe de regarder du mauvais côté quand tu tournes. C'est vraiment moins pire que ce que c'est!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Je reviens d'un voyage en Irlande, mon père chauffait. Assire toi d'avoir une lettre de ta carte de crédit qui statue que ton assurance est valide en Irlande, c'est super important. Assure toi qu'il n'y a pas d'erreur dans la lettre, ils vont tout faire pour te charger leur assurance et te feront peur avec les frais en cas d'accident. Il y a des lignes partout sur les voies qui indiquent les directions, les gens sont super courtois sur la route et sont conscients des touristes donc ça s'est super bien passé. Mon père a eu un 5-10 minutes pour s'habituer à shifter de la main gauche mais après c'était correct. Essaie d'avoir un bon copilote à côté de toi, au début tu as toujours le réflexe de regarder du mauvais côté quand tu tournes. C'est vraiment moins pire que ce que c'est!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Merci pour les bons tips! C'est soulageant que les gens disent la même chose et qu'on s'habitue assez rapidement. Je suis content que ma femme est une excellente copilote et sais comment bien communiquer les directions. Elle est super attentive. Ça devrait bien se passer je crois.

Bref, je commence à avoir hâte en maudit.

Witch rental company would be best (cost, service and quality of cars)? I was looking at sixt and europcar and the smallest 4 doors i can find. Anything else?

Witch rental company would be best (cost, service and quality of cars)? I was looking at sixt and europcar and the smallest 4 doors i can find. Anything else?
If you have a Costco membership the prices are generally better through Costco travel. It will be the Budget/Avis

I'd say Sixt would be best for quality of cars.

Je sais pas si OP est revenu pour nous donner ses impressions

J ai une question concernant la preuve d assurance. Est ce que ca prend une lettre officielle ou la convention d assurance de l emeteur de lamcarte de credit fait quand meme?

Je sais pas si OP est revenu pour nous donner ses impressions

J ai une question concernant la preuve d assurance. Est ce que ca prend une lettre officielle ou la convention d assurance de l emeteur de lamcarte de credit fait quand meme?
Pas encore! Présentement on est en Barthelone et ce jusqu'à Dimanche. Ensuite Londre, et finalement à Edinburgh. Notre location d'auto commence juste le Jeudi de la semaine prochaine, malheureusement, mais je reviendrai ici pour en parler certain!

Back