Pedestrian crossings laws

CRNKY

I can't find any info on unmarked pedestrian crossing laws in Quebec. Would somebody with actual knowledge mind chiming in? This is how I know it

Crosswalk-yield-diagram621.jpg

Today I got attitude from a fat chick and her tiny friend for blocking traffic with my bike to let old lady cross the street at a corner because nobody slowed down even though she was clearly trying to cross standing on the road at the sidewalk. ps their middle fingers hurt my feelings, I will not be able to sleep for weeks and might need a safe space with crayons and puppies. ;)

csm_panneau-passage-pietons_8d6ded231b.jpg
Technically, you needed that sign to do exactly what you did.
But this is NOT a right of way for pedestrian,

[...] You have the right-of-way when you begin crossing the road. [...]

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road-safety/modes-transportation/as-a-pedestrian/what-the-law-says/
Pedestrians have priority at crosswalks and drivers and cyclists must yield the right of way. However, pedestrians must make sure they can cross safely, in other words, that the vehicles and cyclists have seen them and are yielding the right of way.

Un piéton est sensé céder le passage dans le cas #3 sauf pour une voiture qui tourne à droite sur une lumière rouge.

Le cas #2 est une traverse piétonnière où il a priorité

Le cas #1 est d'habitude assujettit à un Stop pour l'auto, un autre cas ou l'auto doit céder le passage.

View attachment 34402
Technically, you needed that sign to do exactly what you did.
But this is NOT a right of way for pedestrian,

[...] You have the right-of-way when you begin crossing the road. [...]

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road-safety/modes-transportation/as-a-pedestrian/what-the-law-says/
Pedestrians have priority at crosswalks and drivers and cyclists must yield the right of way. However, pedestrians must make sure they can cross safely, in other words, that the vehicles and cyclists have seen them and are yielding the right of way.

That's the sign for a crosswalk not at the intersection. Unmarked pedestrian crossings are unmarked, the name says it all, it's pretty much most intersections where there is a sidewalk on both sides. These are all unmarked pedestrian crossings, ignore the ones with stop signs, there pedestrians always have the right away.

pcross.jpg

Un piéton est sensé céder le passage dans le cas #3 sauf pour une voiture qui tourne à droite sur une lumière rouge.

Le cas #2 est une traverse piétonnière où il a priorité

Le cas #1 est d'habitude assujettit à un Stop pour l'auto, un autre cas ou l'auto doit céder le passage.

That picture is from an actual law book, but not from Quebec. If you drive in the US they ticket at unmarked pedestrian crossings (pretty much any regular intersection) if you don't stop and let people cross.

Anyone with actual info on unmarked pedestrian crossings laws for vehicles?

Anyone with actual info on unmarked pedestrian crossings laws for vehicles?

We just told you, they don't have priority in Quebec this one of the reasons qhy many tourist find drivers in Quebec to be assholes... drivers don't stop here(rightly soo) the moment you put your feet down at an intersection like it is required in many other places. Problem here is that it is hard to cross even at marked pedestrians crossing.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvell...hausses-cycliste-pieton-apprentis-conducteurs

Si vous êtes piéton
En l’absence de trottoirs, les piétons peuvent désormais marcher sur l’accotement des routes en sens inverse de la circulation.

Les piétons seront également un peu mieux protégés sur la route, puisque les automobilistes doivent se tenir à au moins un mètre de distance d'eux dans les zones où la vitesse maximale permise est de 50 km/h ou moins, tandis que cette distance minimale passe à 1,50 m lorsque la vitesse maximale est de plus de 50 km/h.

Les piétons ont priorité aux passages pour piétons dès qu’ils manifestent l’intention de traverser la voie publique à cet endroit.

Les piétons ont maintenant la priorité d’engagement. Avant, on devait s’engager [dans le passage pour piétons] pour avoir la priorité. Maintenant, dès qu’on signale notre intention, on a la priorité.

André Fortin, ministre des Transports du Québec

Back