Ottawa vs Riyad

I don't disagree.

If this newfound ballsack leads to changes in policy I won't complain. I think like many people i sit between the liberals and conservatives, and this could swing centrist voters his way.

This ain't about balls. It's about virtue signaling and convenience.

They flat out engineered a foreign diplomacy spat. Their strategists are banking on this causing "manageable" economic losses for maximal Liberal political gains ahead of a federal election.
It's so fucking obvious they were just looking for a roundabout way to sabotage the "conservative's" armored vehicle deal. They couldn't simply pull out so they banked on Saudi's over reacting.
It's not like were asking for the release of a Canadian Citizen. Badawi is not and has essentially no meaningful ties to canada. We couldn't care less about her. It's just a pretext to rattle the hornet's nest and try to look good while doing it.

How can we cheer for economic self-harm to "make a point" that doesn't serve Canadian interest here or abroad.

You know, something the rest of the world is already keenly aware of.

This ain't about balls. It's about virtue signaling and convenience.

They flat out engineered a foreign diplomacy spat. Their strategists are banking on this causing "manageable" economic losses for maximal Liberal political gains ahead of a federal election.
It's so fucking obvious they were just looking for a roundabout way to sabotage the "conservative's" armored vehicle deal. They couldn't simply pull out so they banked on Saudi's over reacting.
It's not like were asking for the release of a Canadian Citizen. Badawi is not and has essentially no meaningful ties to canada. We couldn't care less about her. It's just a pretext to rattle the hornet's nest and try to look good while doing it.

How can we cheer for economic self-harm to "make a point" that doesn't serve Canadian interest here or abroad.

You know, something the rest of the world is already keenly aware of.

I don't disagree that there's a political angle and calculation behind all of this, to simply chuck it all up as purely virtue signaling is simplistic and conveniently serves your point.

Was it also virtue signaling when the PM brought up human rights in China, which by all accounts is the reason why we haven't entered formal free-trade talks with them? Isn't that also economic self-harm to deprive ourselves of a potentially massive export market?

Yet that position is not only consistent with the government of Canada's position on the issue of human rights, it's a direct continuation of Harper's own policy.

From 2014:
'Canadian values' important in ties to China
"You may remember there was some controversy in the early days of this government, when we said that when we conducted relationships with China or any other country there were really three elements to that," he said.

"There were not just economic interests, there were also fundamental human values, Canadian values and also our security interests .... We insist that all of those things be on the table in this and any other relationship."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/st...s-with-chinese-president-xi-jinping-1.2829146

From 2012:

He followed that up with the strongest words he has said public on this five-day trip about an issue that once seemed close to his heart – the rights and freedoms of the 1.3 billion citizens of the world's most populous country.

"As Canadians, our history has taught us that economic, social and political developments are, over time, inseparable… therefore, in relations between China and Canada, you should expect to continue to raise issues of fundamental freedoms and human rights," he told a room full of Canadian and Chinese business executives who sat stoically through that section of the speech.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...an-rights---but-whos-listening/article545221/

So was it also all about virtue signaling and convenience when Harper also defended human rights on the international stage at the potential detriment of canada's economic interest? Or maybe just maybe it's actually an ingrained Canadian value? Have you heard any of the conservatives,ndp,green,wtv the bloc calls itself these days criticize the governments position on this?

What's my point / my angle on this besides calling BS on this BS.

Not getting into further deals or trade agreements vs sabotaging something you've already got are different IMO.

Besides, being preachy as fuck is somehow seen as a way to keep Canada relevant (ie a country with a population smaller than california) on the world stage. It sounds hollow to me when you consider some of the longstanding challenges faced here in our northern communities.

Why advocate for building a hospital in a community that needs it here when you can grandstand on the world stage and stroke your ego / build your "legacy"

I like the Canada that minds its own business vs Canada trying to live up to the hype.

We're well past being relevant on the world stage. Let's fucking face it and move on.

What's my point / my angle on this besides calling BS on this BS.

Not getting into further deals or trade agreements vs sabotaging something you've already got are different IMO.

Besides, being preachy as fuck is somehow seen as a way to keep Canada relevant (ie a country with a population smaller than california) on the world stage. It sounds hollow to me when you consider some of the longstanding challenges faced here in our northern communities.

Why advocate for building a hospital in a community that needs it here when you can grandstand on the world stage and stroke your ego / build your "legacy"

I like the Canada that minds its own business vs Canada trying to live up to the hype.

We're well past being relevant on the world stage. Let's fucking face it and move on.

That it's all superficial and manufactured posturing and not actually based upon some deeper value held by the society/government at large.

I don't see how sabotaging a deal that they defended, went through the media/public scrutiny for and that has largely been forgotten gains them anything. Although Samar has no ties to this country, she is the sister of Raif, who's wife and children are now resettled here. It's not like it's a massive stretch for Freeland to voice her opinion when the sister of the guy that both conservative and liberal governments have pressed SA to release.

Why do you think they are longstanding challenges? Probably because there isn't a miracle solution to it, didn't this government pledged more money to indiginous communities than any before it (let's see if they actually deliver)?

and since when does opening a hospital here and international affairs have anything to do with the other? never mind that they're the exclusive jurisdiction of 2 different levels of government (except for when the feds are filling generous and decide to chip in some money so they can attend the press conference).

A Canada "that minds its own business" is a Canada that walks lockstep in the shadow of the US when it comes to international affairs and at this present time we couldn't possibly have more opposite views/perspectives/interests in that regard.

Thanks to power-hungry heads of state in China, Russia and our neighbours to the South, the “Free World” is getting less free everyday.

Canada is standing up so the world stays free, so that Canadians can feel safe and so they can get the respect they deserve.

My political views are changing as I get older, but I believe that human rights and freedom are more important than anything else. And Trudeau is doing the right thing to remember the world about what matters the most.

Alors là, est-ce qu'on devient ami avec Assad et Putin? Ça, ça ferait chier l'AS et les USA.

2pierres - 1coup.

C'est beaucoup plus complexe mais pour les faire vraiment chier c'est d'ouvrir des échanges commerciaux direct avec l'Iran.

Surtout que c'est dit par un TARÉ.

certes il a probablement besoins de soins, mais pour reprendre ses mots: qu'on lui dise qu'il a tord?!?!

personne a date lui a dit quil a tord.

je connais pas beaucoup de religion qui dit que tu peux avoir 4 femme legit pi si tes pas capable de fournir pour 4 tu as droit a un esclave lol. Qui encourage de se faire justice soit meme avec la lapidation, qui rétrograde la femme a une époque pire que les années 1600, ya fucking rien de bon dans leur mentalité.

If ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, or (a captive) that your right hands possess, that will be more suitable, to prevent you from doing injustice.

Cest profondément taré.

Et aussi, le Canada a les moyens de remplacer the oil qu'on achète de l'AS. Ça donne juste une bonne raison pour développer la chaîne de distribution a l'intérieur du Canada.

MOAR PIPELINES

Sa prends des pipelines! totalement en Accord avec toi

on est le deuxieme plus grand producteur de petrole au monde... et on vend a rabais notre crude au states. 90% de notre production sen va ce faire raffiner des les mega raffineries du texas puis il nous le revend au prix du gros....

aucun rapport avec le thread mais fallait jen parle...

Back