Quick question about Impreza 5dr vs. Crosstrek.

I understand that Subaru isn't MR's favourite brand but for those who know, why is the Crosstrek available with a 6 speed manual (6MT) but the regular Impreza 5dr only in a 5MT? It's the same engine and body except I guess modified bumpers, raised suspension, etc. I also noticed the base price of the Crosstrek is higher than the Impreza, so it's as if they force you to pay more for 1 extra gear. A 5MT seems so antiquated nowadays when many cars come with at least 6MT standard.

Outre la transmission, RPM recommande la Crosstrek qui supposément règle le probleme de suspension qui cogne dur sur les impreza. Par contre moi j'ai eu une WRX donc j'ai pas essayer ni un ni l'autre.

In what sense?

I'm looking at fuel economy and lowered engine speed on the hwy as benefits.

Then you clearly dont know how engines/transmission and fuel economy works...

Lower RPMS dont mean better fuel economy, there is a point where it's gonna get worst because you need more throttle to fight wind and rolling resistance. It's about volumetric efficiency of a specific engine at a specific load/rpms.

also, you can have a 4-5-6-7-8 speed transmission and the 8th gear could be higher than the 4-speed 4th gear on the highway because of how it's setup. It means absolutely nothing. My 6th gear on my WRX is geared higher than the 6th gear of a Crosstrek...

The tires being bigger on the Crosstrek means the diffs or the transmission would be geared differently VS an Impreza anyway so that's partially why they went with a different transmission in either vehicle.

I think the Crosstrek shares the transmission with the 6 speed Legacy.

I have a 2018 Crosstrek and 2018 WRX
I can say that of course both are different
The Crosstrek is lazy, but fuel efficent. Need more power, but its just fine in city driving.

Then you clearly dont know how engines/transmission and fuel economy works...

Lower RPMS dont mean better fuel economy, there is a point where it's gonna get worst because you need more throttle to fight wind and rolling resistance. It's about volumetric efficiency of a specific engine at a specific load/rpms.

also, you can have a 4-5-6-7-8 speed transmission and the 8th gear could be higher than the 4-speed 4th gear on the highway because of how it's setup. It means absolutely nothing. My 6th gear on my WRX is geared higher than the 6th gear of a Crosstrek...

The tires being bigger on the Crosstrek means the diffs or the transmission would be geared differently VS an Impreza anyway so that's partially why they went with a different transmission in either vehicle.

I think the Crosstrek shares the transmission with the 6 speed Legacy.
I'll agree that more gears doesn't mean better performance and/or better fuel economy, but 6-speeds vs 5-speeds on a 150 horsepower engine is nearly always better. Every car i've ever driven with 5 speeds could have benefitted from a taller ratio at highway speeds...save from my ex-girlfriend's 1991 Tercel. That thing's 4th was tall enough for the power that thing made.

I have no idea why manufacturers don't offer 6 speeds on anything with more than 110 hp.

I don’t drive an Impreza, but my car in 5th on the highway (100) is at 3000rpm and I’m still getting 6.5/100km. An old 5 speed transmission can still be good.
i'm sure you could get better mileage if it was revving at 2500 @110 km/h, unless your car doesn't make much power...in which case you'd benefit performance-wise with a ratio somewhere inbetween.

I understand that Subaru isn't MR's favourite brand but for those who know, why is the Crosstrek available with a 6 speed manual (6MT) but the regular Impreza 5dr only in a 5MT? It's the same engine and body except I guess modified bumpers, raised suspension, etc. I also noticed the base price of the Crosstrek is higher than the Impreza, so it's as if they force you to pay more for 1 extra gear. A 5MT seems so antiquated nowadays when many cars come with at least 6MT standard.

Its about driving perception using shorter gears. They are just trying to give the Crosstrek a sportier feel in the lower gears by shortening the ratios in 1st and 2nd and giving it a shorter final drive.

GearCrosstrek 6 SpeedImpreza 5 Speed
1st3.8183.454
2nd1.9471.888
3rd1.2961.296
4th1.0290.972
5th0.8250.738
6th0.738
Final Drive4.4444.110

IMO it has little to do with overdrive and fuel economy.

Its about driving perception using shorter gears. They are just trying to give the Crosstrek a sportier feel in the lower gears by shortening the ratios in 1st and 2nd and giving it a shorter final drive.

GearCrosstrek 6 SpeedImpreza 5 Speed
1st3.8183.454
2nd1.9471.888
3rd1.2961.296
4th1.0290.972
5th0.8250.738
6th0.738
Final Drive4.4444.110

IMO it has little to do with overdrive and fuel economy.

actually the 5th gear transmission on the impreza rev lower at highway speed than the 6 speed from the crosstrek.

because the 5 vs the 6 are the same exact ratio but the final drive is lower on the impreza

I just don't know the tire size...

ScreenHunter_1970 Sep. 11 12.20.jpg

I like how this thread has evolved. Yes I admit to have lacked understanding of the gear ratios for these two models and encourage knowledgeable MR members to step up with ELI5 (Explain like I'm 5) answers.

Back