Roof guys get in!

Mtlalex

Legacy Member
So I bought my house in 2010. According to the inspection the roof/shingles would need to be done in the next 5 years as the proper method/material were not used by the previous owner. In simple terms they used shingles on what they consider a "flat" roof. So 8 years later and 0 water infiltration i do realize that the roof will need to be done next summer.. I got a few quotes for the real deal (elastomere) and they are all quoting me around 10-12k + taxes. So its making me think that, do i really need to go to elastomere? I mean the shingles lasted over 12 years?? Im having a hard time understanding that i could get my roof done twice in the next 25 years for less than elastomere?? I also dont think i will be here for an other 10?

What do you guy think? Should i pony up the 10k or stay with shingles?

I dunno what surface you have to cover but 10-12k is not much more then a proper shingled roof with all the actual proper materials.

Also, if you have sub 2:12 slope shingled roof you will want a Ice/water membrane AND a breather membrane on the full surface, driving cost up. That's not even getting into warranty issues.

I cannot phantom that a full shingled roofing job would be less than 8k if your get it done by a certified roofer with bills and everything.

Last edited:
Ne connaissant pas ta surface, 10-12k pour une élastomère, c'est dans les prix. Honnêtement, j'irais avec ce qui se fait de mieux et ils ont tendance à être plus durable que les applications standard.

I dunno what surface you have to cover but 10-12k is not much more then a proper shingled roof with all the actual proper materials.

Also, if you have sub 1:12 slope shingled roof you will want a Ice/water membrane AND a breather membrane on the full surface, driving cost up. That's not even getting into warranty issues.

I cannot phantom that a full shingled roofing job would be less than 8k if your get it done by a certified roofer with bills and everything.
I guess ima have to look more in to it cuz the guys willing to do the job with shingles were around 4-5k. Im gona need to do more research on what material they were going to actualy use???

Thanks

c'est quoi ta pente?
y a pas manufacturier de single qui garantisse les faible pente.

Je ne pourais pas te dire sa mais je sais quelle est considerer plat... je suis quand meme capable de rentrer dans mon grenier.

anyone knows when it became code to have elastomere under a certain slope?

Je ne pourais pas te dire sa mais je sais quelle est considerer plat... je suis quand meme capable de rentrer dans mon grenier.

[url]http://i.imgur.com/k7voVZg.jpg[/url]

anyone knows when it became code to have elastomere under a certain slope?

4:12 is what most shingle compagnies will say thye will warranty to, 2:12 is the absolute minimum you should go with.

Can you figure out how to calculate yours? The installer that will warranty the job will tell you, I don't think it's a code thing, it's all about product and work manship warranty.

Edit: Oui c'est dans le code pis le minimum semble être 2:12 pour le bardeau d'asphalte.

Back