2002 camry P0420 catalytic code help

fabchef

Hi everyone. It's been a while now that I've been getting 2 codes that pop up often:
P0420 catalytic below threshold
P1349 vvt bank 1 issues
I have put in an oem vvt solenoid. Still get code.i know this car has a screen filter for the vvt solenoid and i'' sure it's never been changed (car has 257000 km on it).
As per the cat code, is there anything i can do to fix this up?
Thanks
Fab

I had the VVT(i) solenoid issue too. Changing the solenoid fixed it for me though. I did change the mesh filter as well but it was pretty clean and unless you've had some seriously dirty oil in your car the filter shouldn't be clogged and is not likely your problem.

the 420 is either your catalytic thats dying or a bad o2 sensor.

I've fixed multiples 2000' era toyotas (corollas and camry mostly) with p0420 and it was always the downstream o2 sensor, not once was the catalytic converter in bad shape.

Thermalace...i read on a couple other sites about the downstream 02 sensor. My question is...doesn't the rear sensor basically tell the computer that there is an issue with the front 02 only? Or does it also tell it that there's an issue with the cat? Thanks fab

it has to do with the ecu using the downstream o2 sensor to confirm proper operation of the upstream O2. however if the upstream o2 sensor react has expected by the ecu (varying widly in voltage when close to a ratio of 1 lambda (14.7afr)) but the rear o2 sensor doesn't copy that behavior, the ecu will send a p0420 code more often than not (could also be because of a catalytic converter not doing its job, however you would have had to drown the thing with fuel/oil for a long time for it to go bad, assuming it is a oem cat).

Usually when upstream o2 go bad, you will notice poor fuel economy and power for a long time before the computer will throw the code (assuming we are not talking about sensor heater).

Thermalace...thanks again. Ok i was worried as i thought that the rear sensor was ONLY there to tell the ecu there is a problem with the top 02 sensor, but I guess it can tell ecu the cat isn't up to snuff. The thing is...the light isn't constantly on...it comes on from time to time (at least once in a full tank of gas worth lets say). I need to remove code with obd reader.
Just this week i had exhaust work done and managed to shine a light to see the secondary cat...looked goid inside.
I think it's oem cat in there.
Also..i loooked at downstreme 02 sensor..it seems to be a Denso sensor..wouldn't that mean its not original sensor? Thanks. Fab

Thermalace...thanks again. Ok i was worried as i thought that the rear sensor was ONLY there to tell the ecu there is a problem with the top 02 sensor, but I guess it can tell ecu the cat isn't up to snuff. The thing is...the light isn't constantly on...it comes on from time to time (at least once in a full tank of gas worth lets say). I need to remove code with obd reader.
Just this week i had exhaust work done and managed to shine a light to see the secondary cat...looked goid inside.
I think it's oem cat in there.
Also..i loooked at downstreme 02 sensor..it seems to be a Denso sensor..wouldn't that mean its not original sensor? Thanks. Fab

Denso is owned by Toyota and does a lot OEM parts for various car manufacturers. It could be the original one.

Change it, will solve the p0420 99% sure.

Tekzou..thanks. Question..the car seems to be running well. If I don't change the sensor, will it ultimately damage the cat, or other components? Thanks
Fab

Update***
So i changed the downstream 02 sensor. It seems it was the original one that was on there(i have 260 000 km on the clock).
First impressions:
Car seems to shift and idle a bit more smoother.

Question: will the car automatically readjust the fuel trim? Or is it necessary to do a "battery pull"?
(I don't want to do this as i'll loose the idle. If i need go do it, what is the procedure to relearn the idle?
Thanks
Fab

here is a pic of the old one..
image1(1).JPG

was looking at the upper 02 sensor...not sure if it should be changed? or should i wait till i get a code?
thanks

here is a pic of upper:
image2(1).JPG

these "lean/rich" conditions code are mostly from afm/maf malfunction, I've never seen a bad o2 send that code. usually you get performance or response code from a malfunctioning upstream o2

Update. So i changed out the downstream 02 sensor. The cel light came on one after a day or two along with the vvt code. I thought about it, and thought of changing the upstream one as well as the both seemed to be the original ones. I changed it yesterday...so far no cel lights came on, car seems to be operating smoother, will see if fuel consumption changes. Fab

Update. So i changed out the downstream 02 sensor. The cel light came on one after a day or two along with the vvt code. I thought about it, and thought of changing the upstream one as well as the both seemed to be the original ones. I changed it yesterday...so far no cel lights came on, car seems to be operating smoother, will see if fuel consumption changes. Fab

theres a tsb for that vvti code to replace the actuator (camshaft gear)

Back