Runaway Diesel engines - I didn't know it was a thing...

Why can't they just shut them off?

Diesel engines do not have a throttle plate. Power is added by throwing more fuel into the engine - in effet, your pedal is connected to the fuel pump.

SO, if for some reason a burnable fluid enters the stream, and diesels can burn a shitload of stuff, and there is no way to limit the stream, the engine will rev and rev and rev until destruction.

Leaking turbos are an awesome way to get a runaway engine.

Check this out. As Gregster was saying, the only way to stop it is to stop the air going in - provide a makeshift throttle plate.

Old dude has pretty good nerves!

This
You can shut it off.. block the air intake. It's caused by oil leaking generally from a bad seal, turbo etc. It will overspeed until it blows up. Some old diesel trucks/equipment have a manually cable driven flap that blocks airflow for when this happens
And this.
Diesel engines do not have a throttle plate. Power is added by throwing more fuel into the engine - in effet, your pedal is connected to the fuel pump.

SO, if for some reason a burnable fluid enters the stream, and diesels can burn a shitload of stuff, and there is no way to limit the stream, the engine will rev and rev and rev until destruction.

Leaking turbos are an awesome way to get a runaway engine.

J'ai déjà vue un towing qui avait un trouble quand il mettait la clef a off ça continuait de tourner car l'injection continuait de marcher même avec la clef à off.

Le gars c'était patanté une trap pour bloquer l'intake à la place de réparer le trouble !

Nos plus vieux trucks des années 90 ont une switch qui relache un spring avec une plaque qui bouche l'intake.

So wait.

This can potentially affect ALL Diesel engines?

In theory yes, but I am not all that familiar with very modern diesel as those found in MBs and BMWs. Perhaps they have other safegards or operation principles that prevent that, but I do not think so.

La pluspart des nouveau diesel ont quand meme un throtle body donc ca peut etre controler avec ca.

Sinon y'a d'autre moteur avec des décompressionneur, ca fait en sorte que le mélange ne s'auto ignited plus

Isn't that why there's an anti shudder valve in modern diesels

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Why can t you pull the fuse of the fuel pump to stop them? MessiNg with the intake can be more dangerous imp

hahaha J'ai explosé un TDI ALH après qu'il se soit emballé à cause d'un turbo sauté... Ca a pris exactement... 2 secondes. Pas eu le temps de réagir du tout. Bloc defence, 1 rod brisée, 3 rod faisaient des S.

Why can t you pull the fuse of the fuel pump to stop them? MessiNg with the intake can be more dangerous imp
You're missing the concept of how it happens. The buildup of oil is keeping the motor running, not the fuel.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Assez special, depuis que j'en ai entendu parler , je me garde un bloc de bois pres du compartiment moteur de mon bateau, in case shit happens

J’ai vue ça une fois quand je fessait mon DEP y a 18ans, mais j'ai jamais vue ça depuis et ça fait 17ans

Back