VW TDI (post diesel gate) worth it?

I drove by an Ultramar station yesterday that advertised $1.00/L regular unleaded gas and diesel at $1.25/L. It made me wonder why the difference was so large and if you owned a diesel powered vehicle, would you still be saving money in operating costs vs. a gas powered one?

Diesel is more expensive in the winter because of the winter diesel additives and the demand from heating oil. It goes back mostly to par for the rest of the year afterwards.

Compared to a 2.0l normally aspirated gas car, a 2.0l TDI is pretty dope. Compared to a 2.0 Gas Turbo Direct Injected motor? The torque down low is fairly comparable, but it's lacking all the power up to. IE: It's slower, but slightly more efficient.

Le "petit coup" en lachant le brake est la dsg qui fait ca.
une dsg est pas une transmission autoamatique hydraulique.
c'est comme toi qui pogne le point de friction de la clutch.
Par défaut une dsg ne roule pas quand tu lache le brake (comme une transmission manuelle)...les manufacturiers ont du le faire faire dans la programmation pcq le monde y sont trop habitué.

Le "petit coup" en lachant le brake est la dsg qui fait ca.
une dsg est pas une transmission autoamatique hydraulique.
c'est comme toi qui pogne le point de friction de la clutch.
Par défaut une dsg ne roule pas quand tu lache le brake (comme une transmission manuelle)...les manufacturiers ont du le faire faire dans la programmation pcq le monde y sont trop habitué.

Ah bon? pis le petit grognement qui vient avec c'est tu normal? Je trouve que c'est pas 'smooth' alors Je devrais lacher le brake doucement comme une clutch Je suppose. Comme J'ai dis, c'est la premiere fois voiture diesel.

Pas sur que ça soit normal ce que tu parles. J'ai eu un golf tdi dsg et le seul moment que c'était moins agréable c'est lorsque tu ralentis et redécolle (disons un stop américain) souvent elle downshift en 1ère et ça compresse beaucoup ,mais aucun bruit.

Sinon quand il fait très froid l'hiver, elle avait un peu de difficulté à reculé sans donner pas mal de gaz à froid.

Je sais pas si un 'grognment' c'est une bonne expression mais plus comme une vibration que J'ai jamais eu avec mes autres voitures a gas. Ca arrive seulement quand Je decolle en premier... les autres gears, rien de ca.

So revisiting my old thread from 2 years ago. Now my car sits at 142,000km, I've been tracking my miles/$ on fuelly and so far on average I did 6.1L/100km but this is because I was going at 120km/h. Since last spring I've been reducing the speed to about 100km/hr and I average 5.5-5.6L/100km.

In the 64,000km I drove, last year the glow plug light came on and I lost power (limp mode), the dealer told me it was the waste gate of the turbo so that was fixed under warranty.

I also noticed the transmission hesitates/vibrates under slightly hard acceleration but obviously when I got to the dealer they couldn't reproduce it so I looked like an idiot, thank you Murphy's law but I'll need to get to the bottom of it. I initially liked this car but perhaps the novelty wore off and I wouldn't mind getting something else. In fact the only thing I like about this car is the fuel economy.
I had the payment on 2 years and it will be paid off in the next 2 payments but yeah, already thinking about another car now.

For 80% highway, that's unimpressive. I average about the same on the highway with my Elantra

For 80% highway, that's unimpressive. I average about the same on the highway with my Elantra
The modified TDi have lots range. Lots of people have been bitching about it. It was mentioned in the settlement

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Have you changed the DSG fluid?

I had the service last year as well as a pitch black fuel filter but yeah.. not sure what's going on.
Some say a tune may help (dpf/egr delete) but I think that would avoid my VW dieselgate warranty and I still have a good 50-60k km under that warranty.

What year is your elantra? I had one (2012) just before I got this TDI and I was doing mid 6s but also going at 120km/hr

ca fait quoi dans la vrai vie un jetta/golf TDI sur l'Autoroute? ~6L/100.

ma focus 2012 fait 6,5l/100....tout comme un shit load de char de meme gamme qui font tous entre 6 et 7l/100

,5/100 pour 40 000km a 1,25$/l ...c'est juste 250$ d'économie. (et encore moins pcq le diesel est ~15% plus cher que l'essence)

oui le diesel a deja eu ca place....mais c'est pas avec les "gros" moteur TDI Nord-américain que ca vaut vraiment la peine.(quand tu compare a la consommation des moteur 1L et moins d'europe)
Selon moi, plus proche du 4 ...maximum 5 je dirais.

So revisiting my old thread from 2 years ago. Now my car sits at 142,000km, I've been tracking my miles/$ on fuelly and so far on average I did 6.1L/100km but this is because I was going at 120km/h. Since last spring I've been reducing the speed to about 100km/hr and I average 5.5-5.6L/100km.

In the 64,000km I drove, last year the glow plug light came on and I lost power (limp mode), the dealer told me it was the waste gate of the turbo so that was fixed under warranty.

I also noticed the transmission hesitates/vibrates under slightly hard acceleration but obviously when I got to the dealer they couldn't reproduce it so I looked like an idiot, thank you Murphy's law but I'll need to get to the bottom of it. I initially liked this car but perhaps the novelty wore off and I wouldn't mind getting something else. In fact the only thing I like about this car is the fuel economy.
I had the payment on 2 years and it will be paid off in the next 2 payments but yeah, already thinking about another car now.

I find it high as well.
In a heavy suv td6 I was doing 6.7l at 120 and 6.4 at 100 ( highway) and the car was in the "break in " period. Technically after 10 000 km, should have been even better.

I had the service last year as well as a pitch black fuel filter but yeah.. not sure what's going on.
Some say a tune may help (dpf/egr delete) but I think that would avoid my VW dieselgate warranty and I still have a good 50-60k km under that warranty.
Yea this is the big dilemma.. I'd rather keep the warranty

I find it high as well.
In a heavy suv td6 I was doing 6.7l at 120 and 6.4 at 100 ( highway) and the car was in the "break in " period. Technically after 10 000 km, should have been even better.

As Gregster mentioned and I have read it on different forums to the fix did impact the fuel economy (with the filter and all) I know guys were getting mid/high 4s /100km before the fix.

What year is your elantra? I had one (2012) just before I got this TDI and I was doing mid 6s but also going at 120km/hr

Not sure at 120 but 105-110 steady I get mid 5s. Anyways, 6.5l vs 6.1 with the tdi at 120 isn't worth the extra 3-4k purchase price and reliability issues (turbo, egr, etc.) Imo

As Gregster mentioned and I have read it on different forums to the fix did impact the fuel economy (with the filter and all) I know guys were getting mid/high 4s /100km before the fix.
Maybe at 80kph.. I find lots of TDi mileage claims very speculative.

Not sure at 120 but 105-110 steady I get mid 5s. Anyways, 6.5l vs 6.1 with the tdi at 120 isn't worth the extra 3-4k purchase price and reliability issues (turbo, egr, etc.) Imo

yeah I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed with the car over all. The only thing is that I may be able to keep this car and get over 300k km out of it but I don't tend to keep cars that long.
as I said the only thing I like about this car is that I can get 1000km out of a full tank so I only fill up once a week.

yeah I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed with the car over all. The only thing is that I may be able to keep this car and get over 300k km out of it but I don't tend to keep cars that long.
as I said the only thing I like about this car is that I can get 1000km out of a full tank so I only fill up once a week.
Keep on eye on the timing belt.... We have seen a good amount of diesel gate cars with snapped timing belts at low mileage

Back