GM 2.2l Ecotec engine good or no good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord_galathon

I'm looking at a winter beater that has the GM 2.2l Ecotec engine in it. It's a chain driven engine and from what I gather it's fairly solid but there are reports of failed chain guides which made the chain skip and thereby bent the intake valves (interference engine.)

Pretty high mileage (255.000km) 04 Saturn Vue, FWD, 5sp manual but I can get it real cheap and has good 9/32 winters on it.

I tried to look for some "in the wild" but haven't seen any which makes me wonder - it's rare or just old and nobody kept them?

Anyhow my main concern is that engine. I know it's used in a plethora of GM cars from the 2000s, Sunfires, Pontiac G series, Saturn Ion, etc. Anyone have one of those? What kind of mileage did you get out of the engine?

I've had a Saturn in the past, 1992 SL1 - bought it new - kept it 10 years, drove 200.000km with it, little repairs here and there but nothing major - biggest was clutch master cylinder under warranty right at the 60.000km limit.

Another concern is just how big is it? I don't want a HUGE SUV but I can definitely use something to drive to Costco or Ikea with lol...

Finally, I read that the ODB2 readers for this specific engine is "different" from the others and doesn't return the codes the same way. Anyone can confirm or deny this?

Thanks.

ecoute c'est un des meilleurs 4 en ligne que tu peux pogner en frais de maintenance-prix. pas mal fiable, meme que gm ils disaient que tu pouvaient pousser le moteur a 600hp avec les internes stock. si le prix est en bas de 1400$ go for it

Mon oncle en a eu un. Vendu a pas loin 400 000km. Voyage Otterburn park / St-Laurent a tout les jours.

Jpense qu'il a juste changer les wipers là-dessus.

Quand c'est dirt cheap, tu kick les ailes, struts et planchers pour la rouille et go.

Bon ben le vendeur vient de m'envoyer un message - il enleve son annonce car il y aurait un probleme avec l'auto. Aucune idee quoi donc fin de l'histoire et merci des reponses.

These threads make me laugh "guys is this 14 year old car with 255k good and reliable" seriously it is starts and moves under its own power drive it until it explodes or needs some major repair

These threads make me laugh "guys is this 14 year old car with 255k good and reliable" seriously it is starts and moves under its own power drive it until it explodes or needs some major repair
This.

Encore plus un VUE. Le moteur lui même va être pas pire mais le reste.....

Envoyé de mon Pixel en utilisant Tapatalk

my brother's friend has a Saturn Ion with 350,000km. Beat to shit. Nothing works, things are falling apart, rusty shit box (minus the plastic panels) barebone maintenance done to it. But the motor still runs well and doesn't take oil. I think it's a 2.2L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back