Garage with a car in winter

TheDamned

Hello,

I have an attached heated garage, but for the first time ever I will not have a car stored in it all winter (corvette is sold).

Some people told me that I have to get a low temperature dehumidifier and it will help my car (model s) not get rust in the long term because of the humidity in the carage because of the snow, before pulling the trigger is this the correct advice ?

Thank you,

hmmm...I don't know if my opinion can help.

Heat + salt = rust. Salt below a certain temperature has very little corroding effect, so yes, not heating a garage will slow the effects of salt on your car's aluminum, steel, plastics and rubbers. I go a step further (Mazda) and always keep it outside on a block heater. (Besides, the wife insist on garaging her car in the winter anyway). With a Model S, I don't know if that's something that can be done, considering your charging booth is probably in the garage. I know that charging an electric car in very cold temps yields a lower "full" charge, and cold batteries also hold less charge, however this doesn't affect long-term performance and batterie life at all; just a lower charge in the winter. If anything, it could help your battery pack maintain a safer temperature. The most detrimental thing for long-term battery life is heat, and I would think a garage might insulate your battery pack if it doesn't have proper cooling during charging...especially during a hard quick charge.

I don't know anything about low-temp dehumidifiers. Sounds like a good idea if you prefer to keep it in the garage.

But conversely, my brother who owns a 1st gen Mazda3 (2008) with 240,000km, doesn't go the same distance as far as rust prevention as I do with my 2014. He keeps it in a garage at home (unheated), parks it in a parking garage in Montreal (heated) and does a lot of driving on the saltiest roads. His car is actually holding up surprisingly well, even in the fenders, rocker panels, trunk... So maybe I'm going nuts for "nothing".

Great post Snail.

Ya, the charging port is in the garage.
I will maybe then not heat the garage that much (maybe keep it around 10 degrees) and use a low temp dehumidifier.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

I keep mine at 8 in the winter, enough to melt ice but not warm at all

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Je le laisse dehors les journées de grosse gadoue ou de tempête. Comme ça il s'égoute dehors et sèche avec le vent.

Mais sinon, il est 95% du temps dans le garage. Jai un déshumidificateur bien sûr...

Et la température... On m'a dit ici qu'il faut de la chaleur pour que l'humanité disparaisse, ça aide a sécher aussi.

Alors je met le garage a 12-15 degrés. J'ai eu le Trailblazer pendant trois ans avec des bas de porte rouillé et rien n'a empiré.

hmmm...I don't know if my opinion can help.

Heat + salt = rust. Salt below a certain temperature has very little corroding effect, so yes, not heating a garage will slow the effects of salt on your car's aluminum, steel, plastics and rubbers. I go a step further (Mazda) and always keep it outside on a block heater. (Besides, the wife insist on garaging her car in the winter anyway). With a Model S, I don't know if that's something that can be done, considering your charging booth is probably in the garage. I know that charging an electric car in very cold temps yields a lower "full" charge, and cold batteries also hold less charge, however this doesn't affect long-term performance and batterie life at all; just a lower charge in the winter. If anything, it could help your battery pack maintain a safer temperature. The most detrimental thing for long-term battery life is heat, and I would think a garage might insulate your battery pack if it doesn't have proper cooling during charging...especially during a hard quick charge.

I don't know anything about low-temp dehumidifiers. Sounds like a good idea if you prefer to keep it in the garage.

But conversely, my brother who owns a 1st gen Mazda3 (2008) with 240,000km, doesn't go the same distance as far as rust prevention as I do with my 2014. He keeps it in a garage at home (unheated), parks it in a parking garage in Montreal (heated) and does a lot of driving on the saltiest roads. His car is actually holding up surprisingly well, even in the fenders, rocker panels, trunk... So maybe I'm going nuts for "nothing".

The vehicle won't have a lower charge in the winter due to cold cells but more the charge will lower quicker due to more loads (A/C compressor for humidity and heater for heat). Electric vehicles have onboard thermal systems to ensure batteries don't get too far outside an ideal range and even go so far as to ensure the battery has priority on thermal not the occupants.

Figure your S is made primarily out of aluminum so rust on body panels won't be that much of an issue. A good example would be to verify with owner clubs in the province, people are running 2012 Model S with original body panels and no signs of rust whatsoever.

Je le laisse dehors les journées de grosse gadoue ou de tempête. Comme ça il s'égoute dehors et sèche avec le vent.

Mais sinon, il est 95% du temps dans le garage. Jai un déshumidificateur bien sûr...

Et la température... On m'a dit ici qu'il faut de la chaleur pour que l'humanité disparaisse, ça aide a sécher aussi.

Alors je met le garage a 12-15 degrés. J'ai eu le Trailblazer pendant trois ans avec des bas de porte rouillé et rien n'a empiré.
En effet, trop de réchauffement et l'humanité va disparaitre

Back