Real world reliability of Maserati Granturismo VS 2nd or 3rd gen Viper

patrickd_21

Hi everyone,

Looking as picking up something nice and fun for next summer. Budget is about 45-55k. The car is going to see maybe 5000km a year and will be strictly for enjoying. So please no talk about fuel consumption, practicality, etc. I have a Civic and a Silverado for the daily, a dedicated track car, and a bike, so no this car will never see the track. I want to keep it fairly stock (exhaust, suspension, and wheels).

Here is what I want:

- Sick sound
- A bit of an exotic factor
- Minimum 400hp
- Preference for RWD

I know that I could buy a Vette, a Porsche, or an M3 with this budget, but everyone has those, and I'm looking for something different. I'm between a Maserati Grandturismo because I find they look amazing inside and out. The only thing is that I'm afraid of Maserati's reputation of being terribly fussy cars to own and their notorious depreciation. Having said that, I have read that the Grandturismo's are significantly more reliable and will hold their values decently. I'm really fussy about my car, and I don't want to own something that is just never running quite right...

As for the Viper, I'd also really like a Gen 2 or 3 Viper GTS coupe. I hear that the Gen 2's are pretty bullet proof and right now they're pretty much at the bottom of their depreciation and even starting to climb. Gen 3's seem to be great cars with much more power, but oil starvation issues.

Anyways, looking for some opinions. Are there any other options I've missed?

Last edited:
If your fussy don't buy either, especially a cheap Italian car.

Vipers aren't for everyone and are annoying to drive. Heavy clutch, dump truck shifter, 12ft long hood super tiny cockpit. Dodge build quality and oil leaks.

The Maserati forums are good for knowledge. MR isnt. That budget you can find a real clean E39 M5 which will be reliable and simple or

Jaguar XJR like a true boss.

Jaguar F type ? Surement même genre de fiabilité que la Maserati et coche tout ce que tu veux. Jamais trouvé les maserati attirantes.

I have been looking at the same thing (until I did my budget lol) and my choice would be a Aston Martin Can manual.

Lots of mix and match parts (many from Volvo) and quite reliable afaik.

Top 5 sexiest cars of all time IMO

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If your fussy don't buy either, especially a cheap Italian car.

Vipers aren't for everyone and are annoying to drive. Heavy clutch, dump truck shifter, 12ft long hood super tiny cockpit. Dodge build quality and oil leaks.

The Maserati forums are good for knowledge. MR isnt. That budget you can find a real clean E39 M5 which will be reliable and simple or

Jaguar XJR like a true boss.

That's the fear I have with the Maser...I want to want one, but I fell like I know better than to get myself into this lol

As for the viper, I've driven a few, love the hood and cockpit. I like the "dumb factor" that the car has...excess in everyway. Just sucks about build quality and I didn't know they were oil leak prone.

As for asking on MR, this is my preliminary research before I dive in to my research on model specific forums for more detailed info

And no thanks for the XJR lol

Jaguar F type ? Surement même genre de fiabilité que la Maserati et coche tout ce que tu veux. Jamais trouvé les maserati attirantes.

They're minimum 70k...

PM me and own the nicest M3 in MTL, already comes with wheels and suspension ;)

Your car is sick ... But i'm only a buyer in 4-6 months :(

I have been looking at the same thing (until I did my budget lol) and my choice would be a Aston Martin Can manual.

Lots of mix and match parts (many from Volvo) and quite reliable afaik.

Top 5 sexiest cars of all time IMO

I love these cars, but I find that they're a bit "boring" to drive. Not a ton of power, but sexy...still may be an option if I can't decide on something else.

Patrick,

I had the opportunity to drive a granturismo for a few days in the past years, what sums up my experience: disapointment.

Pros : Sound, look, handling, brakes

Cons : poor build quality, poor material choices (dodge caravan buttons and switcher everywhere), heavy weight, shitty performance (0-100 in 5sec with the 4.7), shitty transmission

Seriously, I was so disapointed, felt like it's a poorly executed car all together. An e9X M3 feels more special than this.

I came to the conclusion I would never ever pay the price for this car, not even used market value, not worth it at all. Would get a 997 911 100x before this or E92 M3.

meme avec ca, ca fait 0-100 en 5sec, ca se fait peter par une golf R all day every day... Ca pese 4200lb...
On compare pas la même chose disons.

Sérieux tu achètes pas une Aston pour faire le 0-100

tu l'achete pour quoi? Le standing? Le look?

C'est pas une Aston Martin, c'est un sport car italien bas de gamme... Meme si on compare pas la meme chose, ca donne une idée à quel point c'est pas sportif dutout, la golf R est mieux sur tous les points qui concerne la performance...

Patrick,

I had the opportunity to drive a granturismo for a few days in the past years, what sums up my experience: disapointment.

Cons : poor build quality, poor material choices (dodge caravan buttons and switcher everywhere), heavy weight, shitty performance (0-100 in 5sec with the 4.7), shitty transmission

Seriously, I was so disapointed, felt like it's a poorly executed car all together. An e9X M3 feels more special than this.

I came to the conclusion I would never ever pay the price for this car, not even used market value, not worth it at all. Would get a 997 911 100x before this or E92 M3.

i tried the ghibli last year... same thing... holly chrysler interior :O what the hell

- sick sound : 1400, @12000rpm
- RWD
- not 400hp, but way faster than most 400hp cars. 0-60 3.9s, and 3.5s with rubbers and a powercommander.
- exotic factor ? n/a

reliable af
in budget

5bc2f51ebdd4693dbe4c8097.jpg

/ end thread

^^thinking back to my test drive of this monster under the rain still gives me goose bump...

what a machine.

P.S.: It might also be slightly off topic though...

^^thinking back to my test drive of this monster under the rain still gives me goose bump...

what a machine.

P.S.: It might also be slightly off topic though...

héhé ouais

-he got a dd, a winter and a track car. he want a summer car for 5000km/y.

-he also calls for opinions.

- he's concerned with reliability

-nothing mentioned here will be more exiting than this machine.

- something that nobody has

- he don't care about practicality

- he wants no mod : its fast stock

- the only issue is the exotic factor / look. but who cares, its fast

Patrick,

Interesting...See I've driven a viper, but not a Granturismo. What a let down. Ok forget that, looks like front running is a Viper and Aston Martin 2nd.

tu l'achete pour quoi? Le standing? Le look?

C'est pas une Aston Martin, c'est un sport car italien bas de gamme... Meme si on compare pas la meme chose, ca donne une idée à quel point c'est pas sportif dutout, la golf R est mieux sur tous les points qui concerne la performance...

Honestly, call me vein, but part of the reason I'm buying this car is for looks. I want a minimum for performance, but I couldn't care less that a Golf R or Focus RS is faster. A minimum performance is necessary (hence needs 400+hp) but this car will be bought for the way it makes me feel when I drive it!

- sick sound : 1400, @12000rpm
- RWD
- not 400hp, but way faster than most 400hp cars. 0-60 3.9s, and 3.5s with rubbers and a powercommander.
- exotic factor ? n/a

reliable af
in budget

https://cdn2.cycletrader.com/v1edia/5bc2f51ebdd4693dbe4c8097.jpg?width=1024&height=768&quality=70

/ end thread

Never thought about this and I've never driven one. To be honest, the looks do nothing for me, but I may have to try one out

Back