BEWARE : My Experience with BMW Canbec

twinturbos

My Experience with BMW Canbec:
I didn’t want to have to do this but at this point it’s been 3 months and BMW Canbec refuses to fix my car, asking the insurance to pay for repairs that they should guaranteed.

It was on June 10th as I was on my way to my girlfriends place to pick her up that my 2007 335i initially caught on fire while driving. I called the insurance as soon as I could and decided to bring the car to BMW Canbec. I mean who can fix a BMW better than the dealership right ? WRONG.

It took them long enough to fix it ( approximately 2 months -> August 7 ) While the insurance may have taken 2-3 weeks to make up their minds, it was then a matter of me calling every day back and forth to make sure any progress is made. They even ordered wrong parts and that also delayed my delivery.
August 7 I go there I inspect the car only to find scratches on one of the wheels and damage to the underbody plastics because it wasn’t put on a lift properly. I figured whatever I miss my car I just picked it up and left. Later that day I decided to go for a drive since I missed the car too much. I drove all the way to Saint-Sauveur then decided to go back home as it was getting late. I took the exit off the highway, stopped at the first red light and smoke came rushing into the cabin. Light turned green I went straight in the parking lot after the light. Turned the car off, popped the hood and sure enough, it was on fire again. The message was clear. BMW Canbec didn’t fix the problem properly and put my life and my cousins life in danger. Me and my cousin were able to put out the fire throwing water and the remaining of a bottle of windshield washer I had in the car. This time I caught it much quicker than the first time, but the damage is the same because the same parts need to be replaced again.

I called BMW Canbec and explained, they asked me to tow the car back to the dealership which was done a few days later when I had time to do it. Over 200$ of towing that I had to cover. Insurance sent an estimator within a few days and told me it is exactly the same damage which means the car wasn’t fixed properly originally and BMW should guarantee their work and fix it. The first estimate from the insurance was around 4200$, then BMW found more damaged parts and requested an additional I believe it was around 2200$ which the insurance accepted to cover. Whatever parts BMW requested to replace, the insurance accepted and paid for, there is no reason why the insurance would be to blame as they didn’t refuse to replace anything.

We are now approximately 3 months later and they still haven’t done anything to the car. I keep having to deal with this being extremely stressed having to call them back and forth every couple of days to try to talk to someone to see what’s going on. If I don’t call, they let it go for weeks at a time saying they didn’t get an answer from the insurance. The insurance was clear they won’t cover it. I kept complaining to the insurance company to the point where they told me they will consider fixing it if : Canbec is able to say what caused the fire and also provides a letter saying they’re not responsible of fixing it. I have called Canbec requesting this last Monday November 5th and still haven’t heard back.

So here we are. My car has been sitting basically for the past 5 months with the exception of 1 day when I was able to drive it for ~250km. This has been stressing me for months, Canbec has put my life in danger by not fixing the car and the car bursting up in flames while I was driving. My tires must have flat spots by now, brand new brakes must have been rusting for the past months and I can go on and on. It seems like they are completely careless about my situation. I haven’t had a courtesy car in 3 months since they keep throwing the ball back and forth. I also feel like I need to mention this here, the insurance company originally ordered an oil change to be done at the same time as the repairs. BMW Canbec hasn’t done this until now and they have been running the car for testing purposes on that same oil that was involved in 2 fires potentially causing damage to the engine.

I am sick and tired of this story. I drive the car 6 months per year or less because it’s my summer cars and have barely been able to drive the car at all this year.

BMW Canbec doesn’t care and are refusing to help. Please share my story and let everyone know how I am being treated by this dealership.

At this point I must say I am really impressed by their incompetence and lack of customer service.

Un des principes fondamentaux de l'assurance est de réparer les dommages et non de réparer la cause des dommages. Ce qui a causé l'incendie est ta responsabilité, la compagnie d'assurance n'a rien à voir. Ya rien à dire de plus, tu as le droit de ne pas être d'accord avec ça et c'est juste too bad. Don't throw bmw under the bus for nothing.

Et lol aux flat spots...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Un des principes fondamentaux de l'assurance est de réparer les dommages et non de réparer la cause des dommages. Ce qui a causé l'incendie est ta responsabilité, la compagnie d'assurance n'a rien à voir.

Je le sais pas et BMW Canbec le savent pas plus. L'assurance dit que BMW Canbec etait responsable de trouver la cause du feu et de le reparer. Je le sais ben que c'est pas leur probleme a l'assurance mon probleme en ce moment c'est le concessionaire.

Je le sais pas et BMW Canbec le savent pas plus. L'assurance dit que BMW Canbec etait responsable de trouver la cause du feu et de le reparer. Je le sais ben que c'est pas leur probleme a l'assurance mon probleme en ce moment c'est le concessionaire.
De le réparer à tes frais, nuance.

Meh should have let it burn. Would have been easier to deal with. Sadly not the first time I've heard of a horror story with them. My friend had his 5er wagon there for about a year repairing accident damage by the end of it the claim was worth more than the car.

Meh should have let it burn. Would have been easier to deal with. Sadly not the first time I've heard of a horror story with them. My friend had his 5er wagon there for about a year repairing accident damage by the end of it the claim was worth more than the car.

Probably should have the first time... The 2nd time would have been hell

I would never want that car back. Like someone posted, let it burn. Get a new car and call it a day. Can you negotiate with the insurance to scrap the car? Your life is at danger. I wouldn't want to take a chance in that thing. Good luck to whatever happens.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Combien vaut ton 335?

Demande le check aux assurances, sans les reparation, vends le char en parts et poursuit canbec aux petites creances?

Un des principes fondamentaux de l'assurance est de réparer les dommages et non de réparer la cause des dommages. Ce qui a causé l'incendie est ta responsabilité, la compagnie d'assurance n'a rien à voir. Ya rien à dire de plus, tu as le droit de ne pas être d'accord avec ça et c'est juste too bad. Don't throw bmw under the bus for nothing.

Et lol aux flat spots...

wow c'Est dont ben cave. Dans ben des cas messemble que ça ne serait pas compliqué , non ? Ca peut ben être cher si on paye 2-3 fois pour le meme trouble ? oh wait, ils se reprennent sur la prime après :thefinger

sans joke, c'est quoi le raisonnement, je suis curieux.

Probably should have the first time... The 2nd time would have been hell
They would have investigated for sure but by now you would have had a cheque. As long as there is no newspaper shoved down the vent or lighter fluid smell.

I'm truly sorry to hear this sir. If it were my car is cry as well. Any idea as to the cause ?

I get your frustration, but as stated, the insurance company only mandates that BMW repairs what was damaged. Not "find the cause of the problem". That would be on you to ask BMW to figure it out, and if it wasn't asked, then they aren't going to do it. As for "warranty" the car is 12 years old...there's no warranty. BMW can guaranty their work, which was likely done properly (replacement of damaged parts), but unless they were asked to find the problem, it doesn't fall under "their work".

That said, the wait time and dicking around is complete BS and they should be trying to help you figure this out as quickly as possible. I think THAT is where they failed you.

If/when it gets fixed again, if it unfortunately catches fire a 3rd time because a repair as not requested, then I'd let the car burn to the ground.

wow c'Est dont ben cave. Dans ben des cas messemble que ça ne serait pas compliqué , non ? Ca peut ben être cher si on paye 2-3 fois pour le meme trouble ? oh wait, ils se reprennent sur la prime après :thefinger

Ils assurent ton <<dommage>>, pas le fait que ton char soit une torche sur 4 roues. Un moment donné, la cie d'assurance va refuser de t'assurer ou d'assurer ton bien si jamais il a un historique à problème

Depuis quand les défectuosités mécaniques sont assurables? Penses-y 2 secondes. Je reste sceptique au fait que BMW soit au courant de la source du problème et qu'il ait rien dit à l'OP. Entk...

Depuis quand les défectuosités mécaniques sont assurables? Penses-y 2 secondes. Je reste sceptique au fait que BMW soit au courant de la source du problème et qu'il ait rien dit à l'OP. Entk...

c'est pas ce boutte là que je parle, mais du fais qu'ils assures les dommages, mais ne commente pas sur la cause ?

exemple :
Du genre, les assurances qui paie pour des incendies électriques chez vous. Sils saves que toutes les prises sont pour cuivre mais ton filage en alu, un moment donné, il devraient analyser la cause et demander de changer le type de prise ou de filage.

Comme jeremi dit, un moment donner ils ne payent pu, mais faudrait pas se rendre là.

Biensur que premiere affaire a 8h du matin Canbec m'appelle pour me menacer.

Pour recuperer mon auto ils veulent : 4000$ de parking, 800$ d'estimer.

Lol. Sure. Gardez la l'auto a marche pas :)

Back