BEWARE : My Experience with BMW Canbec

Guys, c'est pas un downpipe ou une tune qui fait pogner un moteur en feu. Ça prend une fuite d'huile sur l'exhausr ou une fuite de gaz. Faque à moins qu'OP s'amuse à slacker ses bolts de couvert de valve ou ben couper ces hoses il y a pas grand chose qui peut avoir fait !
Those cars are always leaking oil.. doubt it was that. It looks electrical with how the wires are crispy.. poorly installed JB4 would do it or possible alternator over charging. He made it far without it catching on fire again..

Normally claims adjuster would want to know the cause. Not just fix and send away. That makes no logic.. it caught on fire for a reason.

JB4 peut pas mettre l'auto en feu, la seul chose qui peut arriver c'est avec le cable USB qui touche au 12V+ et qui va bruler le ground du TMAP dans l'ecu.

JB4 peut pas mettre l'auto en feu, la seul chose qui peut arriver c'est avec le cable USB qui touche au 12V+ et qui va bruler le ground du TMAP dans l'ecu.
If the wires are pinched or chafed it can cause a short elsewhere indirectly. Only cripsy N54 and 55 I've seen was caused by the positive block in bay being poorly attached. There was once a Mini we had in that had some short in the DME, would cause cylinder 3 coil to melt.

To me it looks like the fire started between 2-3.. 4-6 don't look too bad.

I'd like to see what Guygeo makes of it

I get your frustration, but as stated, the insurance company only mandates that BMW repairs what was damaged. Not "find the cause of the problem". That would be on you to ask BMW to figure it out, and if it wasn't asked, then they aren't going to do it. As for "warranty" the car is 12 years old...there's no warranty. BMW can guaranty their work, which was likely done properly (replacement of damaged parts), but unless they were asked to find the problem, it doesn't fall under "their work".

That said, the wait time and dicking around is complete BS and they should be trying to help you figure this out as quickly as possible. I think THAT is where they failed you.

If/when it gets fixed again, if it unfortunately catches fire a 3rd time because a repair as not requested, then I'd let the car burn to the ground.
I like you but that's not true. The claims adjuster will want to know what happened 100% to close the file out. Not just the damage and be gone. They will pay labor time to figure out how the fire started and if the owner was at fault or some undeclared aftermarket part.
Fires and such damage is handled different vs collision

Derniere fois quont a summoner le mr army ont a meme pas eu la fin de lhistoire cought *subaru*cought

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

I like you but that's not true. The claims adjuster will want to know what happened 100% to close the file out. Not just the damage and be gone. They will pay labor time to figure out how the fire started and if the owner was at fault or some undeclared aftermarket part.
Fires and such damage is handled different vs collision

I'm no expert and may be wrong...but an insurance dude said the same thing as me in this thread. It honestly wouldn't surprise me because it would fall under what everyone does these days: the absolute minimum and not a single penny more.

Guys, c'est pas un downpipe ou une tune qui fait pogner un moteur en feu. Ça prend une fuite d'huile sur l'exhausr ou une fuite de gaz. Faque à moins qu'OP s'amuse à slacker ses bolts de couvert de valve ou ben couper ces hoses il y a pas grand chose qui peut avoir fait !

D’accord avev toi mais notre point est que c’est encore moins la faute du dealer!

This is what I want to know as well. So far it's been silent

They don't seem to know what caused the fire. They replaced:
Valve Cover & Gasket,
Harness,
Coilpacks
Injectors

They did not replace the fuel lines&rail.
Fire seems to have started on top of injector 2.

I'm no expert and may be wrong...but an insurance dude said the same thing as me in this thread. It honestly wouldn't surprise me because it would fall under what everyone does these days: the absolute minimum and not a single penny more.

I just called my broker, he said the same as Greg. Yes they want to fix the parts but what if the problem was caused by the client (modifications) or even a faulty repair from a recent tuneup/garage visit that went wrong, they'll repair a legitimate claim but if it's something due to mods/bad repairs it might be a different story. So the cause of the fire needs to be found prior/during/after repairs or at least some indication

As for the OP, I have to agree with him, they let him leave with a car and what if this time the fire would have caught and he/his friend would have burned or been injured ? Then what ? What if someone would leave with their kid in the car ? Hell I could show up with a botch job JB4, I rather they tell me it's my fault and I'll pay it out of pocket and STFU.... instead of ALRIGHT BUD ITS FIXED and let me leave and almost get injured ?!? And then the MR SISSY ARMY comes and tells me I'm in the wrong for being pissed... LOL... the OP has a legitimate reason for saying WTF... and we don't even know if he has a JB4 or not.... even if he does, does it really matter at this point ? It went through the hands of the dealer and they left it there or saw the botch job wiring on the JB4 and still thought it was ok to leave ?

I can't believe how the members on MR have become (not pointing you but overall), the first thing we do now in 2018 is defend the dealer/insurance company.... holy shit....

and maybe my broker is wrong, but if insurance companies really work that way then they're even shittier than we already thought they were... there's no logic at all in reparing just parts without finding the source of the issue (in a god damn FIRE!) and honestly I DOUBT that's how they work.... imagine the news headline... man BURNS alive after insurance/dealer said car was repaired

98.5FM
"Well you know, we only fix the parts, the source of the fire we don't look into"

PFFFFFFFF GTFO

FYI All my BMWs and Mini were at Canbec, I love the dealer, but sometimes insurance companies/dealers can drop the ball...

une auto part de ton garage et prend feu (pour une 2e fois en plus) et tu t’en laves les mains? Voyons ça ne fait aucun sens! Clairement il manque d’information ici.

I just called my broker, he said the same as Greg. Yes they want to fix the parts but what if the problem was caused by the client (modifications) or even a faulty repair from a recent tuneup/garage visit that went wrong, they'll repair a legitimate claim but if it's something due to mods/bad repairs it might be a different story. So the cause of the fire needs to be found prior/during/after repairs or at least some indication

As for the OP, I have to agree with him, they let him leave with a car and what if this time the fire would have caught and he/his friend would have burned or been injured ? Then what ? What if someone would leave with their kid in the car ? Hell I could show up with a botch job JB4, I rather they tell me it's my fault and I'll pay it out of pocket and STFU.... instead of ALRIGHT BUD ITS FIXED and let me leave and almost get injured ?!? And then the MR SISSY ARMY comes and tells me I'm in the wrong for being pissed... LOL... the OP has a legitimate reason for saying WTF... and we don't even know if he has a JB4 or not.... even if he does, does it really matter at this point ? It went through the hands of the dealer and they left it there or saw the botch job wiring on the JB4 and still thought it was ok to leave ?

I can't believe how the members on MR have become (not pointing you but overall), the first thing we do now in 2018 is defend the dealer/insurance company.... holy shit....

and maybe my broker is wrong, but if insurance companies really work that way then they're even shittier than we already thought they were... there's no logic at all in reparing just parts without finding the source of the issue (in a god damn FIRE!) and honestly I DOUBT that's how they work.... imagine the news headline... man BURNS alive after insurance/dealer said car was repaired

98.5FM
"Well you know, we only fix the parts, the source of the fire we don't look into"

PFFFFFFFF GTFO

FYI All my BMWs and Mini were at Canbec, I love the dealer, but sometimes insurance companies/dealers can drop the ball...

Just to be clear, I'm not saying they wouldn't tell the client it was caused by something obvious. I'm saying that if it ISN'T something obvious, aka everything looks normal during the repair - they wouldn't tear apart the entire engine to find the problem on a 12 year old car. It simply wouldn't be worth the cost at that point. If it's a bad JB4 job, then it'd be pretty obvious and easy to tell. OP hasn't provided any of that info.

I'm actually surprised insurance companies would actually do the morally right thing in this case. So thanks for confirming. I was wrong on that part.

As for defending dealers in 2018...well yeah, because in 2018, it's also become all too common for people to bitch and complain online and try to tarnish a business' name, simply because they don't want to admit their own slip up or fault...or they're being ridiculously demanding, or have retarded expectations. I don't know if you own or run a business, but if you were to have a client try to tarnish your name, let's say because power mirrors weren't working on a used car they bought, I'm sure you wouldn't be too thrilled.

It's very possible that Canbec dropped the ball, but we're missing way too much information about the whole story to just take for granted what OP is saying without questioning it. That's with regards to finding/fixing the problem. I've already agreed that the wait has been too long and they've failed OP in that regard.

MR is turning into a, bitter, bi-polar old man...

If someone asks about a mod:

"Oh, yeah 100% legit and safe" or "What's wrong with you, why won't you get a tune?! Back in my days we'd get an extra 8whp out of these"

In a different thread:

"OMG, could OP's car have been tuned or any less than 99,9% OEM? WHy do you have to disrespect the BMW engineer's work at the factory in München with shoddy aftermarket nonsense? Hans knows best. auf wiedersehen, chauffage. "

"Was OP using OEM motor oil and OEM windshield wiper fluid?" If not, that'll teach him!"

"OP you big dummy, did you not get an independent mechanic double check the repair done at the dealership? Kids these days, fucking complacent I tell ya"

MR is so bi-polar...

If someone asks about a mod: "Oh, yeah 100% legit and safe" or "What's wrong with you, why won't you get a tune?!"

In a different thread: "OMG could OP's car have been tuned or any less than 99,9% OEM?" Was OP using OEM motor oil and OEM windshield wiper fluid?" If not, that'll teach him! "OP you big dummy, did you not get an independent mechanic double check the repair done at the dealership? Kids these days, fucking complacent I tell ya"
to be fair, all car forums are like that. nothing is ever good enough for everyone.

There was no JB4 in the car. It has an upgraded metal charge pipe and catless downpipes. I don't have much information because every time the dealer wouldn't give me much and that's the reason why I got sick of it and decided to go public. I think I've been patient enough. 3 months without a car ffs. (5 total but the first 2 the insurance company gave me a car)

Op ne dit pas la vérité, c'est ça le problème. Tu as raison pour un jb4, ça ne cause pas d'incendie mais un meth kit qui splash sur linjector harness oui.

Dit la vérité twinturbos. Parce que de toute façon si tu t'en vas en cours, c'est perdu d'avance.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk

Back