Sign of bad battery...which to buy?

fabchef

Hey gang, got my 2002 camry 2.4. I think the battery is on its way out, dont know how old it is. Always seemed to turn over slowly, now that it’s getting colder it takes a little longer. I tested this morning with multimeter...was at 12.7v. Once started jumped to 14. Maybe has a bad cell in it? What “running” issues, if any, can a bad battery cause?
Also what brands do you recommend?
Acdelco, walmart, interstate??
Thanks
Fab

You don't test a battery with a multi meter... Of course it jumped to 14v.. the charging system running is 13.8.14.5 v

And yes get a new one from Costco

lol OP qui check son voltage de batterie pi y sait meme pas c'est quoi un bon/mauvais voltage. 12.7V vehicule arreter c'est une batterie chargé a 100%.

X3 batterie de chez Costco

Kirkland brand? Hmm ok. Any suggestions on some of the brands i mentioned?
So if there is a bad cell or its on its way out... can it affect things like ignition coils/firing?

lol OP qui check son voltage de batterie pi y sait meme pas c'est quoi un bon/mauvais voltage. 12.7V vehicule arreter c'est une batterie chargé a 100%.

X3 batterie de chez Costco

Très constructif comme message...

So if there is a bad cell or its on its way out... can it affect things like ignition coils/firing?

No, the only purpose of a car battery is to start the engine. All the running accessories are fed by the alternator. If you're having misfire issues, it's probably related to coils or plugs.

If it had a bad cell it would be below 12V. Each cell can output a max of 2.12V. X6 cells = 12.72V @100% charge.

Your battery is just old and might be sulfated, which limit the amount of amps the battery can output. Amps start your engine, not volts.

FYI... There are only 2-3 battery manufactures in North America.
1. Johnson Controls
2. East Penn
3. EnerSys

The Costco batteries are made by Johnson. Interstate is made by Johnson... Costco battery policy is the best, you show up with a battery and get a full credit. No prorated BS or testing like CT.

I like battery with the the ''deep cycle'' feature , like Motomaster blue platinum. But if greg says the costco policy is better I'm sure it is. But I dont think any of the costco battery has deep cycle feature ?

Did you think Costco had some sort of amateur battery lab in the back of their warehouse? It's all re-branded, quality products.
Great prices, a steady inventory renewal, great warranty coverage and a metric shit ton of locations all across North America to get a replacement if you ever need one.

They're made by Johnson Control, the same company that makes the OEM toyota batteries. (as of a few years ago anyways) If it's good enough for Toyota...

But if you wanna pay a premium for an entry level battery from one of the brand names you've heard about, by all means, go for it.

1. Johnson Controls
2. East Penn
3. EnerSys

The Costco batteries are made by Johnson. Interstate is made by Johnson... Costco battery policy is the best, you show up with a battery and get a full credit. No prorated BS or testing like CT.

you forgot Exide- but yeah most all brands come from very few manufacturers- different packaging and warranties.

Well,after visiting 3 walmarts (2 had the maxxx battery but dated in may), one didn’t have any) the fourth had them dAted this past August. I picked it up, good price, good warranty, any wAlmart, no questions asked. Will see how it goes.
Generally speaking...what would be the minimum crank specs for this car? Can’t find any info. Thanks

Cool thanks. Not much wiggle room on the old battery (acdelco 600cca). And if it was old or bad cell, harder to start, i guess?

A trick I had from an old mechanic when your battery doesn't charge or if the charger says it's 100% and it still doesn't work.

Take the battery in your hand and drop it on the floor from about 3 feet.

I'm always scare to do it but someday with enough beer I'm gonna try it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

1. Johnson Controls
2. East Penn
3. EnerSys

some very recent news-
Brookfield Business Partners LP and the Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec, together with a group of institutional partners, have signed a deal to buy Johnson Controls’ power solutions business for US$13.2 billion.
that's a big deal.

A trick I had from an old mechanic when your battery doesn't charge or if the charger says it's 100% and it still doesn't work.

Take the battery in your hand and drop it on the floor from about 3 feet.

I'm always scare to do it but someday with enough beer I'm gonna try it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Si les plaques sont sulfatées, ça va faire tomber la cochonnerie. Ça peut très bien fonctionner en théorie, ou bien shooter de l'acide sulfurique dans ta face.

C'est pour ça que les chargeurs intelligents vont avoir un mode de désulfatage, c'est moins dangereux.

Back