Cycling in urban areas, death tolls are up since bike paths have been implemented

allroad

This is a good article from the Financial Post and it should be read by ALL municipal councils (I will be forwarding it to mine).

I am a cyclist however I refuse to ride in the city because it is not safe. I actually felt a lot safer when I was a teenager with no bike paths, it is much worse now. Politicians and cyclist activists groups should stop blaming motorists, the cause are the politicians and cyclists.

Prior to putting bicycle planning into high gear — in recent years London’s mayor launched what he called a “cycling revolution” and Paris’s vowed to create “the cycling capital of the world” — cycling deaths had been plummeting for decades. That dramatic trend stopped in 2010, according to EU statistics. Cycling deaths across the EU are now on the rise.

Cyclists in the EU now account for eight per cent of all traffic fatalities, up one-third in the last decade. In the urban areas, cyclists account for 12 per cent of all road fatalities. In the Netherlands, a great cycling nation that politicians often hold up as a model, cyclists account for 30 per cent of fatalities. The bicycle, where it is most in vogue, is a killing machine: fatalities are five to 10 times that of automobiles per kilometre travelled.

Until a decade ago, motor vehicle deaths in the EU were falling dramatically, as were bicycle deaths. Now progress in auto deaths, too, has stalled. The push to make cycling safer by giving the bike a bigger share of the road has backfired on vehicles of all kinds.

The great majority of cycling accidents are either caused by poor road conditions or negligence on the part of the cyclist — checking smartphones, cycling intoxicated, racing, using the handlebars for baggage, or having poor brakes or tires.

The politician’s preoccupation with building bicycle paths at the expense of motorists is misguided partly because motorists are not to blame for the overwhelming majority of cycling accidents, partly because more lives could be saved by cracking down on negligent cyclists and fixing potholes, and partly because — according to independent studies not funded by bike-path proponents — cycling infrastructure actually increases accidents, especially at intersections.

Where curb lanes are reserved for cycling lanes, cars must cross cyclists’ paths to turn right; when they shared the curb lane, that potential for conflict was rarer. As a remedy, planners have often designed bike lanes to leave the curb just prior to reaching intersections, forcing cyclists to swerve into an auto lane and creating a car-bike conflict of another kind. Bike lanes — because they’re often nearly empty — also attract racers traveling at dangerous speeds.

Before mayors started competing with each other to create cycling cities — “cycling visions” are the new political buzzwords — cities were on a true path to safety, with fatalities falling some 30 per cent per decade for cyclists and motorists alike. Mayors need to end their bike-path detour and get back on the road to safety.

https://business.financialpost.com/...-cycling-policies-made-city-streets-less-safe

très intéressant en effet,

Une des raisons pourquoi c'était plus sécuritaire dans notre jeunesse selon moi:

-Moins de vélo sur les routes
-Moins de voiture sur les routes
-Moins de distraction au volant et au guidon.

très intéressant en effet,

Une des raisons pourquoi c'était plus sécuritaire dans notre jeunesse selon moi:

-Moins de vélo sur les routes
-Moins de voiture sur les routes
-Moins de distraction au volant et au guidon.

Yes. However, cyclists in the city center simply don't know how to ride. Whenever I am in the plateau area I cringe at the cyclists and their actions. Same thing in the suburbs, you should see the bike path on St-Martin Boul near crossing highway 15 (underpass).

Yes. However, cyclists in the city center simply don't know how to ride. Whenever I am in the plateau area I cringe at the cyclists and their actions. Same thing in the suburbs, you should see the bike path on St-Martin Boul near crossing highway 15 (underpass).

Maybe a lot of city cyclists have never had a car license and never bothered to learn the CSR.

J'habite Laval et je prends cette intersection là à tous les jours... En effet, ils ont mis une piste cyclable qui traverse une entrée d'autoroute. Allô le suicide

People have become "entitled" in the last 10-15 years thanks to the "child-king" (enfant roi) phenomenon, one of the results is the fact that lots of people who ride bikes AND those who drive cars think it's all about them.

It's really not. It's about physics...

J’ai remarqué que j’ai BEAUCOUP plus de close call avec des cyclistes en tant que piéton.

Des cyclistes sur le trottoir qui roulent à la même vitesse que dans la rue, des cyclistes qui passent sur la rouge et se faufilent entre les piétons qui traversent, des cyclistes qui s’arrêtent pas sur la rouge et qui foncent dans ton vélo ARRÊTÉ, etc.

Même à pied ou en vélo, j’haïe les cyclistes.

Correlation does not imply causation.

number-people-who-drowned-by-falling-into-a-swimming-pool_number-of-films-niclas-cage-appeared-in.png

I lived on plateau a year

let me tell you... middle of a snow storm I opened my car door after looking in mirror for car coming, parked on the street...

BAM!!!!!! guy on a bicycle (IN THE MIDDLE OF A SNOW STORM) with god damn two grocery bags hits my door and rattles his front wheels

guy starts flipping out on me.... calls the cops!!!! LOL

cops show up and I tell them I looked in my mirror and obviously I wasn't expecting a bicycle! I was looking for headlights! and that if this idiot wanted to ride in snow he should have those blinking LED headlights or something

cop agreed
told him he'll take him home in his cruiser/bike in trunk

guy wasn't happy at all but the cop legit told him HOW IS IT THIS GUYS FAULT RIGHT NOW !
he shut up and got into the cruiser

lol so ya no need to tell me... everyone needs to live 1 year on Plateau and you'll see stupid shit on bicycles all the time, that was one story of many i saw that year

Ce matin dans le traffic en sortant de l'ile perrot un mongole en scooter electrique dans la voie cyclable FERMEE pour l'hiver qui jouait au chicken avec les voitures.

I used to cycle to school in high school, from Atwater to Queen Mary/CDN area and would never be bothered going through Westmount. As soon as I’d take cycle paths it was freaking Vietnam, so I’d say screw it and bike on the streets.

I had the Bixi 30 minutes for free thing so I’d rush too, sometimes had to stop and take another bixi but whatever. Stay away from cars and no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

En tant que cycliste qui prend son bike pour aller au travail, ce que je remarque :

- trop de cyclistes ont aucun respect (CSR)
- trop d'automobilistes ont aucun respect, le nombre de fois que des chars ont refusé d'arrêté à un céder obligatoire à une travers de cycliste et piéton
- les fois où j'ai failli me faire frapper avec un char, c'est quand le dit char n'a pas respecté un stop obligatoire, un céder ou sa lumière
- les piétons qui jaywalk un sens unique ... sans jamais regarder dans la direction que les chars et moi on arrive
- les pistes cyclable en accotement de la rue, c'est souvent de la marde parce que c'est plein de troues donc pas du tout pratique
- les pistes en retrait de la rue et qui la longe (comme un trottoir), quand t'arrive à un intersection sans lumière et stop sur 2 côtés seulement, des fois le cycliste a un stop, des fois non, sa c'est fourrant en oestie pour tout le monde (be predictable fail), le pire j'ai une intersection 3 stop (3 voies), les chars ont chacun un stop mais les cycliste sur la piste n'en ont pas (priorité en tout temps) et sa c'est weird en chien

Le gros problème, sa bâtit des pistes cyclable sans aucune cohérence. Plus de pistes encourage plus de cyclistes à prend la route. On se retrouve avec un mix & match de : cyclistes de course, cyclistes de promenades, cyclistes "je veux juste arrivé en vie au boulot", piétons, ebike qui roule plus vite que les chars sa rue. Sur la piste je suis relativement safe, mais les intersections c'est juste un gros fuck fest mal adaptés.

La différence c'est l'illogisme de l'idéologie de priorité.

Quand j'étais jeune on me martelait:
-Regarde des 2 cotés avant de traversé
-Fait attention en vélo, tient toi loin des voitures
-Regarde des 2 cotés... hey HEYYYY va t'en en punition, tu iras pas a la ronde avec l'école pcq ta traversé la rue sans regardé.

Ben tabarnack on se faisait pas frappé pcq on était prudent et vigilant. On se protegeait des autres et on esperait pas que les autres le fassent.

Aujourd'hui on donne la priorité au pieton et au vélo, le résultat: ils se croient invincible.

C'est completement débile!!!! On demande au GROS de surveillé la présence des petits alors qu'on dit au petit, inquieté vous pas les gros vont faire attention.... SUr un chantier de construction, dans une mines, qui a priorité? L'ingénieur avec son casque blanc? Non c'est l'osti de tabarnack de gros calisse de 400 tonnes pcq il est gros, plein d'angle mort et qu'il est moins réactif.

un troupeau velo qui cohabite avec un troupeau dix roue dans la même rue faut autant de sens qu'un troupeau de d'éléphant qui cohabite avec des souris dans le meme enclos.

Des bonne chances qui arrive un accident aux souris. Cest normal que tu te fasse écrasé par le plus gros a moment donné.

ca change rien les pistes cyclables

les pédaleux roulent sur la route meme quand la piste est déserte

J'habite Laval et je prends cette intersection là à tous les jours... En effet, ils ont mis une piste cyclable qui traverse une entrée d'autoroute. Allô le suicide
Au moins c'est bien marqué au sol. Dernièrement je passais là en char et je demandais presque si j'avais le droit de tourner dans l'entrée d'autoroute. Mais j'imagine que ceux qui passent là tous les jours le remarquent même pas.

Sinon il faut voir les morts par cycliste ou par km parcourus, s'il y a 30% plus de morts mais 50% plus de cyclistes c'est pas si pire.

C'est anecdotique, mais la seule fois où j'ai faillit frapper un vélo avec mon char, c'était 100% ma faute. La seule fois qu'un char a percuté mon vélo, c'était 100% sa faute. Oui les voitures ont leur responsabilité, et même s'ils ont le droit de passer, ils ont devoir de prudence et diligence.

Last edited:
I lived on plateau a year

let me tell you... middle of a snow storm I opened my car door after looking in mirror for car coming, parked on the street...

BAM!!!!!! guy on a bicycle (IN THE MIDDLE OF A SNOW STORM) with god damn two grocery bags hits my door and rattles his front wheels

guy starts flipping out on me.... calls the cops!!!! LOL

cops show up and I tell them I looked in my mirror and obviously I wasn't expecting a bicycle! I was looking for headlights! and that if this idiot wanted to ride in snow he should have those blinking LED headlights or something

cop agreed
told him he'll take him home in his cruiser/bike in trunk

guy wasn't happy at all but the cop legit told him HOW IS IT THIS GUYS FAULT RIGHT NOW !
he shut up and got into the cruiser

lol so ya no need to tell me... everyone needs to live 1 year on Plateau and you'll see stupid shit on bicycles all the time, that was one story of many i saw that year
I lived three years on the Plateau, no stories.

Back