Porsche Canada's SUV take rate...

If you think a Cayenne is badge engineered, you should leave car forums and not come back.

Yeah, because the base model with the Volkwagen 3.6L VR6 engine was straight from Stuttgart... The diesel version was probably pure Porsche in your opinion too?

Both the Cayenne and Touareg shared the same platform and were released at the same time. VWAG figured they could get some more money out of that platform investment by releasing an Audi version.

Sorry for being factual.

Chevy Tahoe vs GMC Yukon vs Cadillac Escalade. Not that different of an idea. Shared platforms with the fancy badge version getting a premium powerplant and nicer appointment.

Last edited:
Ok, instead of making fun of you, I’m going to assume you don’t know the difference between badge engineering vs. platform sharing and will try to help guide you a bit.

Badge engineering, which is what GM does, is change the grill and a few bits on one car and sell it under another brand. Drive both back to back and you won’t know which is which.

Platform sharing is using the same basic underlying structure or ‘hard points’ - a pillar, engine mount location, etc - to create different vehicles. Even the wheelbase varies. Yes, the diesel in the Porsche is an Audi unit and it fits in the Cayenne because they both share the same basic platform. Go drive a Touareg, Q7 and Cayenne back to back and you’ll understand that they all three drive very differently.

Here’s a quick video explaining this:

Ok, instead of making fun of you, I’m going to assume you don’t know the difference between badge engineering vs. platform sharing and will try to help guide you a bit.

Badge engineering, which is what GM does, is change the grill and a few bits on one car and sell it under another brand. Drive both back to back and you won’t know which is which.

Platform sharing is using the same basic underlying structure or ‘hard points’ - a pillar, engine mount location, etc - to create different vehicles. Even the wheelbase varies. Yes, the diesel in the Porsche is an Audi unit and it fits in the Cayenne because they both share the same basic platform. Go drive a Touareg, Q7 and Cayenne back to back and you’ll understand that they all three drive very differently.

Here’s a quick video explaining this:
https://youtu.be/6XCGam_qeyw

First gen Non S/Turbos models were very, very close to the touareg. Same wheelbase, motor, transmission, driveline, doors, windshield, HVAC etc.

Later models sought to differentiate them further and reduce the prevalence of VW parts number. It may not be as lazy as straight up badge engineering, but whoever bought a V6 cayenne got played IMO.

Long story short: Porsche makes most of their money selling fancier and faster Touaregs (cayennes) and Q5s (macan)

Shrewd business move, but selling out on their brand identity nonetheless.

^^ by your logic, a RR Ghost is just a fancier 7 series?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Huh they are far from badge engineered. Yes the platform is the same as on other vag products and electrical but that's about it.

They aren't slapping a Porsche Badge on a Q5 and calling it a Porsche. ex Cavalier and Caddy Cimmaron
Q7

Yeah, because the base model with the Volkwagen 3.6L VR6 engine was straight from Stuttgart... The diesel version was probably pure Porsche in your opinion too?

Both the Cayenne and Touareg shared the same platform and were released at the same time. VWAG figured they could get some more money out of that platform investment by releasing an Audi version.

Sorry for being factual.

Chevy Tahoe vs GMC Yukon vs Cadillac Escalade. Not that different of an idea. Shared platforms with the fancy badge version getting a premium powerplant and nicer appointment.

Not because me, you and a professional cook we all get the same ingredients, our end product will taste the same.

Having same platform means nothing. VW throws all the parts on that platform ,while Porsche is like...hmm...this battery should be here for a better balancing. Just an example...! So parts are strategically placed to get as close possible to a 50-50 distribution. They don't reach it, no, not even close....but they try hard.
If you had the chance to drive those cars , you would understand.
Yes, the 3.6 engine comes from VW, but again is like saying Aston Martin , Pagani use AMG engines, nerveless they are all the same. At all...
I won't say is not too expensive compared to VW or Audi ( that would be another discussion) , but definitely NOT the same ride.

In the WV Group for exemple...they buy enormous quantities of leather...! They keep the first quality for Bugatti/Bentley/Lambo....then they give the rest to Porsche...then the rest to Audi ...VW, Seat , and so on. Hope you get my point. You gotta pay to play.

VW throws all the parts on that platform ,while Porsche is like...hmm...this battery should be here for a better balancing. Just an example...! So parts are strategically placed to get as close possible to a 50-50 distribution.

for what it's worth, the Touareg and Cayenne have their battery in the same stupid god forsaken location; under an ELECTRIC seat. I know this because my dad had to pay Volkswagen $570 to change his.

But I'm almost positive that the Cayenne and Touareg are the same vehicle with different options, as opposed to 2 different vehicles sharing the same platform. Of course, the Cayenne has different drivetrain options, sportier dampening, maybe even a different steering rack and powersteering setup, better appointed upholstry. But they're the same car, likely built with many of the same parts.

That said, I've never understood performance SUVs since I've always found them to be a massive performance compromise to begin with. An SUV should be practical and capable...not a canyon carver. And the Touareg has more than enough luxury, performance and capability one could ever hope for without the Porsche price tag. So Touareg TDI all the way.

...apart from the horrible reliability and serviceability, in which case a Land Cruiser diesel would be the best option. Get a fun car if you want to have fun. Not an SUV. lol And if you can afford a Cayenne, you can afford a Touareg and a toy.

An example of different cars sharing the same platforms are the Mazda 3 and CX9. Really, both cars are based on the same front-wheel drive platform that's been stretched to accommodate variations not available to one or the other vehicle. The Touareg and Cayenne could probably interchange most of their parts with very little modification.

Last edited:
Normal. C'est les seules voitures de Porsche que la plupart des gens en moyen pourraient conduire sur une base régulière.

Back