02 camry, possible stuck thermostat?

fabchef

Hi everyone, fab here. So it's been a while that i noticed on my 2002 camry 2.4, that after a good drive, the coolant reservoir is at the same full level, the fluid is barely warm. The radiator top cap is just warm.
I took a laser thermometer and took temps at the thermostat housing (the metal part where fluid leaves engine and goes back in). The "outlet" of engine temp was at about 84 deg cel. the inlet (i guess where thermostat is also located) is at about 74 deg cel.
does this seem about right (temps)?
is it possible for thermostat to be partially stuck? (the temp needle on cluster is a touch shy of the halfway mark).
anything i should check?thanks
fab

I've had a thermostat get stuck open on one of my old Suzuki Sidekicks a long time ago, it was I think a 1997 model. Engine temp would stay cold and engine would idle high. Have you tried to take the thermostat out and look at it?

It will be obvious if it's stuck open, generally they sort of get wedged on the housing and can't move anymore.

My car is always between 83-87C on the OBD2 reader.
Also, and maybe not all car are like this, but on mine, the fluid level doesn't move since the coolant loop is pressurized even in the overflow.

un thermostat coller ouvert.. la température sur la gauge (particulierement en hivers quand il fait froid) va baissé sur l'autoroute et remonté en arretant a un stop.

tu ta temperature est stable...ton thermostat est ok.

Back