Self check out: A conversation

Gregster

Legacy Member
So there has been lost of talk about certain interest groups and people saying how self check out will end up killing jobs.

Do we see it as progress? Convenience or annoying?

While I understand the importance of entry level jobs I feel those positions can be better used elsewhere in store such as keeping shelves stocked. Has anyone been to Wal Marts lately? It looks like a bomb went off.

Self checkout lanes were recently added to the discount grocer near me and there are no longer massive line ups at peak hours. You can go in get those 2-8 items you need them leave quickly. Before it was 10 mins in a line or longer while someone decide to have a convo with the cashier.

Then you have stores such as a Decathlon that use RFID technology to check out. Literally 30 seconds.

Yes it gets annoying when someone has a cart of groceries that they are scanning but the technology is here to stay. I feel that Quebec though could end up passing some law to ban it

We are heading straight for a population ageing problem. The choice will be to either automate the shitty jobs or face a worker shortage.

We are heading straight for a population ageing problem. The choice will be to either automate the shitty jobs or face a worker shortage.
Don't worry the carbon tax and massive population growth will solve that

Rather than focusing on low rung jobs we should be creating skilled jobs ie people who fix those machines

On va en venir la c'est inévitable, c'est une job que l'automatisation peut facilement s'occuper… PAR CONTRE

Faudrait remplacer ses job ''entry levels'' par d'autre jobs ''entry level''. J'avais entendu parler Jordan Peterson de QI et de jobs vla pas lontemps et c'était le sujet, apparemment entre 10 et 15% de la population n'aurait pas les facultés de bien exercé une job ''entry level'' en occident, et le problème était qu'il faudrait avoir d'autre jobs encore plus facile que ce l'on considère ''entry level''. Flipper des boulettes au mcdo, c'est pas si évident que ça pour quelqu'un qui est pas tant allumé (autrement des robots s'occuperait déjà de ste job la), idem pour rouler une caisse, ou ben souvent tu dois connaitre plein de de code par cœur. Au final tout ses gens deviennent un fardeaux a l'état et si on est pour couper encore plus de ce genres de postes, le fardeau va uniquement s'alourdir. Pas tout le monde qui a les compétence pour faire un DEP et encore moins finir son secondaire..

I always take the self checkout if the store offers it.

Why would I wait 10/15 minutes in line to say a cashier with a long face that clearly doesn't want to be there.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Groceries are understaffed; no jobs are stolen imo as they’re begging people to slave themselves at minimum wage and take shit from everyone.

Automate all the things that make life better

I can’t wait for Tim hortons to automate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Groceries are understaffed; no jobs are stolen imo as they’re begging people to slave themselves at minimum wage and take shit from everyone.

Automate all the things that make life better

I can’t wait for Tim hortons to automate

You laugh but in sure in 5-10 years most things will be automated there and at McDonald's. The problem McDonald's is worried about is what happens when the machine goes down. You will still need humans to load and run the machines

I was somewhere in EU and the McDonald's order came out on a tray on a conveyor belt. The drink system was automated

With services such as Amazon groceries coming, automated check out is already outdated

What's coming is app based shopping.

No more check out! Scan in the aisles!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

One word that will make all current manners of shopping obsolete: Replicators.

Imagine, you see whatever you want on Amazon, pay for it, it replicates in an oven sized (or bigger) replicator everyone will have at home. Larger items can be replicated in separate parts and assembled at home i.e. furniture.

Better yet - you pay for THE BLUEPRINT and then just replicate paying only whatever energy is required.

Nothing like a nice replicated steak to shut the vegans up.

They need to improve the systems before they become a viable replacement to humans. It's not hard to scan 10 items in 10 seconds, especially small cans but these stupid machines seem to have delay built into their programming that you can only scan an item every 5 seconds. Some go further by not letting you scan a second item before placing the first item in the bag (there's a scale underneath). So if you have 2 cans, one in each hand and want to scan+pack them in a bag together, forget about it.

Oh and if you have any produce, "please wait for attendant".

I still use them for 8 or less items but I really wish they weren't handicapped by design because I would use them for my full grocery checkout.

They need to improve the systems before they become a viable replacement to humans. It's not hard to scan 10 items in 10 seconds, especially small cans but these stupid machines seem to have delay built into their programming that you can only scan an item every 5 seconds. Some go further by not letting you scan a second item before placing the first item in the bag (there's a scale underneath). So if you have 2 cans, one in each hand and want to scan+pack them in a bag together, forget about it.

Oh and if you have any produce, "please wait for attendant".

I still use them for 8 or less items but I really wish they weren't handicapped by design because I would use them for my full grocery checkout.
The big issue is having one bar code per product. Ever shop at Aldi or Lidl? 5 bar codes on a can of soup...

Am i the only one who always go to the cashier ? Even for a pack of gum i will go to the cashier there is enough automate shit.... i dont mind wait 2-4min. to pay my pack of gum and that way i can keep "busy" the little lady and that way she might keep her job (thats my thinking).

If we all go to the self checkout well it wont be long before your buddy,aunt,cousin will lose is job..

just saying..

The big issue is having one bar code per product. Ever shop at Aldi or Lidl? 5 bar codes on a can of soup...

Never have. Although for multiple bar codes it's a question of programming as well. If it has 5 different codes, program 4 to do nothing and 1 to scan correctly. Might be a little annoying trying to find the one that works but the real fix is getting the manufacturer to label only one.

Am i the only one who always go to the cashier ? Even for a pack of gum i will go to the cashier there is enough automate shit.... i dont mind wait 2-4min. to pay my pack of gum and that way i can keep "busy" the little lady and that way she might keep her job (thats my thinking).

If we all go to the self checkout well it wont be long before your buddy,aunt,cousin will lose is job..

just saying..

I wonder if our grandparents (or great grand parents) chose to buy vegetable from every local farmer as farm tech evolved and allowed single farmers to cultivate bigger areas. Also did they not ride elevators as they replaced the attendants for self select elevators?

As technology advances certain jobs are replaced and a new sector is built up. If a checkout lane is completely free I will still go to a cashier but I will not stand in line just because I want to protect their jobs.

Although I do see one big problem on the horizon. Our current socio-economic model is not in line with this evolution. To be a politically incorrect realist, basically we have a social system that's practically a textbook definition of a ponzi scheme, where we need an ever growing population to support old age security and pensions and we try to achieve this by incentivizing low intelligence individuals to either procreate or immigrate here. As the job functions need ever increasing skill/intelligence these folks no longer have as many employment avenues.

There will come a day where the system will be so screwed we might finally have to face reality. States like Illinois are leading the pack and trust me it's going to be a really sad day when a lot of people are going to be told "Sorry, you were lied to by your company/elected officials, there is no money to pay your indexed pension"

fuck self checkout, I go to the cashiers, there's no way I'm going to believe that a store is not going to ditch all their cashiers once they see that people are OK with it. I understand that they are low paying, low qualification jobs, but these people need to work too.

fuck self checkout, I go to the cashiers, there's no way I'm going to believe that a store is not going to ditch all their cashiers once they see that people are OK with it. I understand that they are low paying, low qualification jobs, but these people need to work too.

They don’t ditch people, nobody wants to work those jobs...

Having worked as cashier for 3.5years. I have standards for service that many cashier's do not meet.

I don't want to deal with fucking Simon or Julie who work a shit job 16h/weekend. I'd rather scan my own shit than see their miserable face.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Si on croit au libre marché et au trickle down economy, ça va se rebalancer anyways. Si on croit plutôt à l'État providence et au filet social, l'État n'aura qu'à ajuster son filet social en conséquence (ils percevront plus d’impôt sur les entreprises qui ont les poches pleines vu qu'elles n'ont plus de caissiers).

Bref, il y a moyen de ne pas s'opposer au progrès technologique sans pour autant être un sans coeur, tout étant de droite ou de gauche économique.

Et ça va prendre des techniciens et gens d'entretien des systèmes pareil, des jobs mieux payées que caissier. Les gens incapables de faire une technique iront préposé au bénéficiaire, on en aura besoin de beaucoup dans 15 ans. Anyways, c'est 50%+ des jobines étudiantes, et c'est pas une nécessité absolue de travailler pour les étudiants de 16 ans.

Back