Self check out: A conversation

They need to improve the systems before they become a viable replacement to humans. It's not hard to scan 10 items in 10 seconds, especially small cans but these stupid machines seem to have delay built into their programming that you can only scan an item every 5 seconds. Some go further by not letting you scan a second item before placing the first item in the bag (there's a scale underneath). So if you have 2 cans, one in each hand and want to scan+pack them in a bag together, forget about it.

Oh and if you have any produce, "please wait for attendant".

I still use them for 8 or less items but I really wish they weren't handicapped by design because I would use them for my full grocery checkout.

des fois je me demande si c'est pas faite par exipres de ralentir les machines. ceux des caisssieres sont ultra-rapide comparer au self-checkout. les biornes mcdo sont vraiment lente, j'aime pas ca. j'aime autant mieux commandé sur l'appli a l'avance et avoir ma commande direct en arrivant.

One word that will make all current manners of shopping obsolete: Replicators.

Imagine, you see whatever you want on Amazon, pay for it, it replicates in an oven sized (or bigger) replicator everyone will have at home. Larger items can be replicated in separate parts and assembled at home i.e. furniture.

Better yet - you pay for THE BLUEPRINT and then just replicate paying only whatever energy is required.

Nothing like a nice replicated steak to shut the vegans up.

that's probably where it's going, but they need to make money on all of the other automation systems before, so it will take a while, even if technologically speaking we're pretty close to that

that's probably where it's going, but they need to make money on all of the other automation systems before, so it will take a while, even if technologically speaking we're pretty close to that

Yeah we're just missing the part where we can convert energy into matter.

On va en venir la c'est inévitable, c'est une job que l'automatisation peut facilement s'occuper… PAR CONTRE

Faudrait remplacer ses job ''entry levels'' par d'autre jobs ''entry level''. J'avais entendu parler Jordan Peterson de QI et de jobs vla pas lontemps et c'était le sujet, apparemment entre 10 et 15% de la population n'aurait pas les facultés de bien exercé une job ''entry level'' en occident, et le problème était qu'il faudrait avoir d'autre jobs encore plus facile que ce l'on considère ''entry level''. Flipper des boulettes au mcdo, c'est pas si évident que ça pour quelqu'un qui est pas tant allumé (autrement des robots s'occuperait déjà de ste job la), idem pour rouler une caisse, ou ben souvent tu dois connaitre plein de de code par cœur. Au final tout ses gens deviennent un fardeaux a l'état et si on est pour couper encore plus de ce genres de postes, le fardeau va uniquement s'alourdir. Pas tout le monde qui a les compétence pour faire un DEP et encore moins finir son secondaire..
Yen as quand meme des job pour les "attardé "

L'oncle autiste sévère de ma blonde as une job. Il travail en horticulture un truc du genre.

Metons chez cintas il engage des handicapés pour placer et trier les cintres etc.

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

Groceries are understaffed; no jobs are stolen imo as they’re begging people to slave themselves at minimum wage and take shit from everyone.

Automate all the things that make life better

I can’t wait for Tim hortons to automate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Le problème est pas que cest understaff ( ce qui est vrai aussi) c'est qui as des loi qui doit avoir max x travailleur a certaine heure etc... c'est tu con pareil. Faq quand tu va a l'épicerie a 8h30 le soir bin ya 2-3 fucking personne dabs toute lepicerie gebre

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

le monde qui disent que personne veut de ces jobs.... quand jvais au dépanneur, c'est pas des 18 ans, c'est souvent des 25-45 ans qui sont à la caisse.

jme demande souvent ce qu'ils crissent là. y'ont 35 ans, y'ont pas l'air retardé, bon service à la clientèle... Sont surement juste dans une mauvaise passe j'imagine.

le monde qui disent que personne veut de ces jobs.... quand jvais au dépanneur, c'est pas des 18 ans, c'est souvent des 25-45 ans qui sont à la caisse.

jme demande souvent ce qu'ils crissent là. y'ont 35 ans, y'ont pas l'air retardé, bon service à la clientèle... Sont surement juste dans une mauvaise passe j'imagine.
Pour avoir fait 3 ans et demi dans un couché tard, la plus part des plus âgés sont des immigrants qui viennent de s'installer et doivent nourir leur famille pendant qu'ils refont leurs études.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

One word that will make all current manners of shopping obsolete: Replicators.

Imagine, you see whatever you want on Amazon, pay for it, it replicates in an oven sized (or bigger) replicator everyone will have at home. Larger items can be replicated in separate parts and assembled at home i.e. furniture.

Better yet - you pay for THE BLUEPRINT and then just replicate paying only whatever energy is required.

Nothing like a nice replicated steak to shut the vegans up.

This was basically one of my greatest dreams as a child after seeing the Garfield X-Mas special where he had a chair that gave him whatever he wished for.

(Chair @ 1 min mark).

In reality, it would end up being one of those technologies with massive potential for good, but in the end most people would just end up morbidly obese, eating all day while surrounded by piles of useless shit.

What's coming is app based shopping.

No more check out! Scan in the aisles!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

As someone that works in the food industry I can tell you that in supporting that method of checkout you are going to make the retailers very rich. Once you fire up the retailer app and start scanning items, you are going to be a walking gold mine of data. Your exact location in the store is going to be logged, how much time you spent in each aisle and in which quadrant within that aisle you stopped and spent time scouring the selection. Add all that information to your basic identity metrics, throw in frequency and a couple of other time based data points, and the retailer in question will be able to sell that data all back to the manufacturers and suppliers. All of the major grocery retailers already have reporting mechanisms that the various suppliers can opt in and out of, and they already pay huge sums of money for it, but right now its all pretty simple and all just based on number of facings, sku count and sales. All of the added information the retailers would be able to sell with app based check out will be an absolute gold mine for them.

Someone like Loblaws will be able to sell data to a company like Coke that will indicate age, gender, historic buying preferences, time spent in the soda aisle, when and where the consumer stopped within the aisle and which sku they were looking at, where Coke's product is placed in relation to the product the consumer stopped to look at, what is in their basket at the time of grabbing that 12 pack of Coke, etc, etc. They will also be able to trigger coupons and promotional items, based on what's in your basket, and then pit the suppliers against each other. So during BBQ season, if someone picks up and scans 12+ hamburger buns in bakery, a coupon will trigger in the app alerting the consumer that Coke is offering $0.50 off each 2L with the purchase of 12+ hamburger buns. Loblaws can then see if there was a sales lift tied to that promo and turn around and approach Pepsi and tell them that Coke ran this promo tied to hamburger buns during the BBQ season and show the lift %. Pepsi will want in, and now you have both Pepsi and Coke fighting over price reductions, all which benefits the retailer.

Use app based checkout at your own peril lol.

As someone that works in the food industry I can tell you that in supporting that method of checkout you are going to make the retailers very rich. Once you fire up the retailer app and start scanning items, you are going to be a walking gold mine of data. Your exact location in the store is going to be logged, how much time you spent in each aisle and in which quadrant within that aisle you stopped and spent time scouring the selection. Add all that information to your basic identity metrics, throw in frequency and a couple of other time based data points, and the retailer in question will be able to sell that data all back to the manufacturers and suppliers. All of the major grocery retailers already have reporting mechanisms that the various suppliers can opt in and out of, and they already pay huge sums of money for it, but right now its all pretty simple and all just based on number of facings, sku count and sales. All of the added information the retailers would be able to sell with app based check out will be an absolute gold mine for them.

Someone like Loblaws will be able to sell data to a company like Coke that will indicate age, gender, historic buying preferences, time spent in the soda aisle, when and where the consumer stopped within the aisle and which sku they were looking at, where Coke's product is placed in relation to the product the consumer stopped to look at, what is in their basket at the time of grabbing that 12 pack of Coke, etc, etc. They will also be able to trigger coupons and promotional items, based on what's in your basket, and then pit the suppliers against each other. So during BBQ season, if someone picks up and scans 12+ hamburger buns in bakery, a coupon will trigger in the app alerting the consumer that Coke is offering $0.50 off each 2L with the purchase of 12+ hamburger buns. Loblaws can then see if there was a sales lift tied to that promo and turn around and approach Pepsi and tell them that Coke ran this promo tied to hamburger buns during the BBQ season and show the lift %. Pepsi will want in, and now you have both Pepsi and Coke fighting over price reductions, all which benefits the retailer.

I know all that and I am not very offended by it.

We already do a lot of it using all points cards, using Facebook and Google, etc.

Do you prefer ads of stuff that interest you or random ads, basically that's the only difference IMO.

I am already a very hated customer of grocery stores as I will go to many places and/or price match, buying lost leaders in each.

I know all that and I am not very offended by it.

We already do a lot of it using all points cards, using Facebook and Google, etc.

Do you prefer ads of stuff that interest you or random ads, basically that's the only difference IMO.

I am already a very hated customer of grocery stores as I will go to many places and/or price match, buying lost leaders in each.

You certainly don't have be offended by it. As long as you are cognizant that on top of taking a healthy margin on the groceries you are purchasing, they will be able to sell the data you are providing free of charge. The retailers will increase profits off of your back, and the brands and suppliers will be able to sharpen their marketing approach and product placement leading to increased sales, again off of your back - and your biggest concern is targeted ads and convenience? We have very different philosophical outlooks it seems.

You certainly don't have be offended by it. As long as you are cognizant that on top of taking a healthy margin on the groceries you are purchasing, they will be able to sell the data you are providing free of charge. The retailers will increase profits off of your back, and the brands and suppliers will be able to sharpen their marketing approach and product placement leading to increased sales, again off of your back - and your biggest concern is targeted ads and convenience? We have very different philosophical outlooks it seems.

You must wear tinfoil? Turn off location data and use a rotary phone? Pay cash only of course!

Healthy margins? On groceries, come on they are the lowest in the industry.

Sharpen their marketing approach, yes that's exactly what I said, I will get ads on stuff I browse and not on feminine hygiene products, so what?

Moi je veux seulement faire mon epicerie chez moi...

Ma blonde a une garderie et commande deja beaucoup sur Amazon pour les snacks, papier essuie-tout et toilette etc...

Mais ce que je veux c'est pouvoir tout commander de A a Z et le faire livrer directement chez moi.

Cette année 95% des cadeaux de Noël qu'on a acheté a été en ligne. J'ai envit de vomir juste a l'idée d'aller au magasin tellement je deteste sa. Je préfère 100x mieux faire mes achats en pyjama avec un verre de whiskey sur la table à côté du clavier.....

Les caisse self-serve comme certain ont mentionné dans le thread c'est mieux que rien I guess mais sa ne fonctionne juste pas. L'attente est trop longue et l'osti de scale qui pese les items fuck souvent.

Tl/Dr : Je veux faire l'epicerie et magasiner seulement en ligne.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

You must wear tinfoil? Turn off location data and use a rotary phone? Pay cash only of course!

Healthy margins? On groceries, come on they are the lowest in the industry.

Sharpen their marketing approach, yes that's exactly what I said, I will get ads on stuff I browse and not on feminine hygiene products, so what?

I expected better from someone usually grounded in their responses. Oh well. And as for margins, do you know how much margin Loblaws proper makes on a carton of orange juice? I'll await your response and then we can discuss how they are the lowest in whatever industry you are referring to in your statement.

The ROI of data mining and targeted marketing will hit a wall at some point imo.

has anyone noticed, after shopping at Costco, that all other stores' cashiers are insanely slow in comparison?
I always go to self check out because I'm quicker than the cashier. But Costco...gad damn they're quick. A true example to follow. I had an ex who used to work at Brossard Costco as a cashier way back then, and she told me that they'd receive bonuses based on the number of clients they could pass/hour during peak hours.

So if they can replace your job with a computer/machine that does it better, then they will. But if you're at the top of your game...it'll take longer. :p

has anyone noticed, after shopping at Costco, that all other stores' cashiers are insanely slow in comparison?
I always go to self check out because I'm quicker than the cashier. But Costco...gad damn they're quick. A true example to follow. I had an ex who used to work at Brossard Costco as a cashier way back then, and she told me that they'd receive bonuses based on the number of clients they could pass/hour during peak hours.

So if they can replace your job with a computer/machine that does it better, then they will. But if you're at the top of your game...it'll take longer. :p
16$/h + bonus and paid vacation vs 12$/h, don't look any further.

And I guess the reason why self service scans are slower is because people suck at scanning and will double scan by mistake if there is no delay between scans. Cashiers know how to avoid this

quand il y a des self checkout je les utilise...sauf si y a pas d'attente a une caisse.

Mais meme les self checkout: y a du monde que tu voit regulierement et meme apres qlq mois sont toujours incapable de faire le self checkout de maniere efficace et tu attend une éternité avec monsieur/madame incapable de ce souvenir comment fonctionne le programme pour trouver le code des ces foutu banane! (qui est pourtant crissement simplet et intuitif.)

Costco takes very good care of their employees. They are some of the best remunerated employees in non commission based retail. Costco itself values all of it's employees and actually employs a form of vertical integration in their hiring practices. Its extremely rare for Head Office to hire someone that hasn't worked in one of their warehouse buildings. They want all of their employees to be exposed to as much of the day to day operations as possible.

Costco in turn ingrains in their warehouse workforce that Costco doesn't have customers but rather members, and that all of your time on site should be used to improve each and every member's experience. Costco store managers can do very well for themselves. There is only one per warehouse site but they can make $150k - $180k, however the hours are grueling.

Back