Palladium Price

Stirl_ae86

Legacy Member
Has anyone noticed palladium prices recently?

https://www.apmex.com/spotprices/palladium-price

I've been watching it climb steadily for a couple years now. Checked metal prices today for the first time in a couple weeks and palladium has officially surpassed gold in value. It has skyrocketed since VW's diesel scandal (with platinum plummeting, especially this year). ~$450/ozt in 2016 to around $1250 today. Palladium is most widely used in catalytic converters for gasoline powered vehicles, and the decline of diesel sales is the official reason given for the increase in price.

Has the ratio of gasoline vs diesel sales really swayed enough to cause this or is there more to it? Market manipulation? Just the normal peaks and valleys that come with precious metals? I have yet to hear a peep in the news about palladium. If gold had increased almost 3 fold in 2 years there would be massive hype...

Just wait and see what happens to silver and gold when the paper markets lose their suppression control.

In 2011 silver spiked 5 fold and if wasn't for the fact that JP Morgan has huge amounts of shorts on it, which had the price "mysteriously" plummet back down so that they could clear their position, I don't think it would be back under $30/oz.

Since then they've flipped their position and are now the biggest holders on the Comex. Add to that China and Russia are accumulating G&S like crazy, I can't tell you when, but sometime relatively soon the unloved metals will quickly become safe haven that everyone rushes back into.

If palladium is going gangbusters because of it's industrial uses, then silver which is more rare and much more widely used should be the better bet.

Palladium is actually much more rare than silver. There have been 1,411,475 tons of silver mined throughout history, the palladium mined would fit in a large room. 25,000 metric tons (25,000,000kg) of silver mined in 2017 vs 208,000KG of palladium in 2016.

I hope your forecast is right, but there are so many factors involved I feel it's almost impossible to truly predict with all the manipulation going on.

Palladium is actually much more rare than silver. There have been 1,411,475 tons of silver mined throughout history, the palladium mined would fit in a large room. 25,000 metric tons (25,000,000kg) of silver mined in 2017 vs 208,000KG of palladium in 2016.

I hope your forecast is right, but there are so many factors involved I feel it's almost impossible to truly predict with all the manipulation going on.

I learned something new. I thought that palladium was the most common of the 4 tracked metals (in the ground, total on earth) but that because in the past few millennia we've prioritized Gold and Silver mining, it's only more common above ground.

As it stands now, most mining companies are have trouble finding decent ore levels of silver and a good chunk of production is subsidized by mining other metals in the ground around it.

Anyway, given how most countries are printing currency as fast as they can, PMs are the only tried and true method to protect wealth. If you buy and hold it's a good insurance policy if SHTF and at the very least it keeps up with inflation.

Like you said, it's impossible to truly predict it but I think when the market goes sour and we realize that nothing was really solved after 2008, the US only printed about 10 trillion dollars, effectively doubling the debt to keep the party going, will it start.

Then what I believe will happen is a combination of panic and greed will result in a good rip upwards. Panic will start it and then those looking to get rich quick on the rising prices will jump on board.

76363f25-abc8-488b-9989-e53249f3b08f_1024.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

^^
hahaha, tourner en rond sur des succès de Michael Jackson, cruiser en publique pour la première fois, les gros pouffe rond recouvert de tapis pour s'assir pis les arcades de Star Wars... bon vieux temps indeed.

Back