New car - Repainted body pannel

GotBass?

Legacy Member
Has anyone purchased a brand new car only to notice a few days after delivery that the car needed some paint work or that a body panel had already been repainted? If so, how did you resolve the issue with the dealer? Did you get another car? Some sort of financial compensation? I'd like to get some feedback from someone who has gone through this.

if it's only been a few days I would demand an exchange just based on the fact that it would affect resale value.

When I worked at a dealer I saw this often. usually front bumpers but also panels damaged during pdi or transport. I've also done paint correction on a pick up truck that was bought new and had obviously been repainted pre delivery without the client knowing.

if tomorrow you trade in the vehicle they would check the paint thickness and give you less money because of repainted panels. if the panel rusts ,the manufacturer's warranty would not cover it

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Has anyone purchased a brand new car only to notice a few days after delivery that the car needed some paint work or that a body panel had already been repainted? If so, how did you resolve the issue with the dealer? Did you get another car? Some sort of financial compensation? I'd like to get some feedback from someone who has gone through this.

Bonne chance lol

if it's only been a few days I would demand an exchange just based on the fact that it would affect resale value.

Obviously, that would be the ideal scenario... but do you actually know of anyone who was able to get another car due to paint defect / repainted body panel?

Obviously, that would be the ideal scenario... but do you actually know of anyone who was able to get another car due to paint defect / repainted body panel?
Check decisions on SOQUIJ to see if a similar case was brought to the attention of a tribunal.

Last edited:
They are allowed. My brand new civic type r 2018 was repainted too. Hood & fender. You could see the dusts in the clear coat. Honda also documented that my car went to 'body shop' but no specific reasons were stated. Apparently, brand new cars / dealers are allowed like 10% of the total value of the car as margin if ever theres defects on the body ... nothing you can do.

Quand j'étais en carroserie on vivais la dessus repaint des neuf a cause de domage de transport

Y'avait un gars à La Facture qui avait acheté un Veloster neuf avec un côté du char repeinturé au complet. Autant le dealer que Hyundai Canada lui était pas venu en aide et je ne me souviens pas trop c'était quoi le dénouement de cette histoire-là mais c'était pas rose

I had a client go through this recently. He had to get lawyers involved because obviously the dealer didn't want to give him another car. Granted this was a $120k Lexus LC500 and they don't happen to be in every dealer around the corner, but for a more common car, they very well should give you another one if they didn't disclose that panels were repainted.

I actually started offering the service to my clients who are getting new cars - I go with them and check out the car and measure all panels as well to ensure they are getting a REAL "new car".

They are allowed. My brand new civic type r 2018 was repainted too. Hood & fender. You could see the dusts in the clear coat. Honda also documented that my car went to 'body shop' but no specific reasons were stated. Apparently, brand new cars / dealers are allowed like 10% of the total value of the car as margin if ever theres defects on the body ... nothing you can do.

They are allowed, yes, but they ABSOLUTELY have to disclose it to the buyer. It needs to be in writing otherwise the buyer can legally get out of it. It's just a hassle and lawyers are usually required.

Don't know about QC but in the rest of Canada a dealer does not have to disclose damage below $3000 on a new car. Most ports of entry have shop facilities onsite to repair damaged cars as it happens quite often. In many cases the dealer would not even be aware of it as this is not disclosed to them. There is not a chance you'll get another car unless you fight it in court. Dealer won't take it back because he'll end up with a now 'used' car previously registered (to you) and will lose 15-20%. That being said, I would still bring it up to the GM of the dealership.

^You're right, there IS a minimum amount before things being declared, but generally speaking, it's pretty easy to go over that minimum given how expensive it is to repair/replace/repaint panels/parts these days. However, if you ask the dealer if there's been damage, they can't lie and say "no" they just don't have to give up the info freely. That said, to me and most people, "new" means in 100% pristine condition with paint from manufacturer on every panel. Not simply "never registered".

The question that needs to be asked is"would you have bought it knowing that there was a repainted panel?" If the answer is no, then you either need a heavy discount considering the loss in value later on or another vehicle in pristine 100% condition.

^You're right, there IS a minimum amount before things being declared, but generally speaking, it's pretty easy to go over that minimum given how expensive it is to repair/replace/repaint panels/parts these days. However, if you ask the dealer if there's been damage, they can't lie and say "no" they just don't have to give up the info freely. That said, to me and most people, "new" means in 100% pristine condition with paint from manufacturer on every panel. Not simply "never registered".

The question that needs to be asked is"would you have bought it knowing that there was a repainted panel?" If the answer is no, then you either need a heavy discount considering the loss in value later on or another vehicle in pristine 100% condition.

you know what i learned ? buying new cars SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!

When you sign, youre being treated like a king and queen but after you take receipt of the car , dealer basically tells you to go fck yourself now. You pay what, 50k$ today? Then after 3 years, your car is worth 25k-30k$ but your expectations are not AS HIGH as when you kind of paid your car 50k$ brand new.

I suspect mine had a part of its hood repainted. It was never disclosed, and you really can't tell.

...but for some reason, when I look through a certain pair of sunglasses...

7559bb040f2d3b691fc19910735ff4cb.jpg

5ccab0f372dafc9bb2dceb339016c7c1.jpg

df4b140c3b1ac67c74d5b812cdce79ee.jpg

82c9cc67d04ac2270b3e79478597df28.jpg

i noticed it like this since it was brand new and never found put why. No amount of waxing d8d anything.

Y'avait un gars à La Facture qui avait acheté un Veloster neuf avec un côté du char repeinturé au complet. Autant le dealer que Hyundai Canada lui était pas venu en aide et je ne me souviens pas trop c'était quoi le dénouement de cette histoire-là mais c'était pas rose
Pas mal la seule émission regardable à Radio Canada ces temps ci

I suspect mine had a part of its hood repainted. It was never disclosed, and you really can't tell.

...but for some reason, when I look through a certain pair of sunglasses...

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181221/7559bb040f2d3b691fc19910735ff4cb.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181221/5ccab0f372dafc9bb2dceb339016c7c1.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181221/df4b140c3b1ac67c74d5b812cdce79ee.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181221/82c9cc67d04ac2270b3e79478597df28.jpg

i noticed it like this since it was brand new and never found put why. No amount of waxing d8d anything.

I can check the car for you if you'd like to know for sure. It'd be my pleasure. :)

Back