Bi-energie yay/nay?

Loki

Legacy Member
Hello MR,

I moved into a house recently and it has oil + electric heating.
Above -12C = electric furnace (at a reduced rate), below -12 = oil furnace but electricity costs 5x.
On paper the system is advantageous over the course of a year, compared to straight electric at the normal rate, given the last 20 years of -12C days/year.

But, the whole thing will need work in the next few years, so I'm looking for advice on optimal heating solutions.
The oil tank needs to be replaced soon ($3k?) and the A/C and furnace will probably need love in the next 5 years ($manyK)

So I'm looking at whether I keep the oil and invest in a new tank, or just get rid of the oil and invest that money into better electric solutions.
For one, there is no heatpump in the system at the moment, so that would be an obvious thing to add when I redo the HVAC and I could put the money toward that.
Maybe it's best to keep the oil AND add a heatpump? I'm not afraid to invest in hardware, as long as there's a net positive ROI after x years.

Ultimately the goal is to choose new components such that overall heating/cooling costs are lower. For those who've done this before, what would you do?
I feel like I'm lacking the vocabulary/methodology to think about this stuff rationally.

Thanks!

Electricity is cheap enough to go that way only, if you had gaz metro i would of chosed to stay bi-energy

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Get rid of the oil system and go heat pump + electric strips.

Check out Renoclimat, Renovert and Chauffez Vert. It's a no brainer.

j'avais fait le switch avant de vendre ma maison et meilleur décision ever...meme si j'en ai juste profité 1 ans.

et si je compare ce que le nouveau proprio paie(evaluation du cout sur le site de HQ) en ce moment..ca lui coute pas mal le meme affaire que moi ca me coutais électricité/huile.
et il a pas a géré la facture/commande de l'huile. (il a ajouter une piscine et si je me trompe pas: un chauffe-eau...donc en vrai ca lui coute moins cher que moi avec l'huile)

la seule raison pourquoi je garde l'huile chez moi actuellement est pcq ca marche avec un petite génératrice . Je reste un peu loin en campagne et les delai sont plus long en cas de panne.

^^ yeah the house is wired for a generator, so that was my one thought, I could run the oil furnace in case of another ice storm.
But, I could also just buy a generator of sufficient wattage.

Starting the process for RenoClimat/ChauffezVert so we can rip the oil out come spring. Thanks all!

Dans mon ancienne maison les élement chuaffant etait qlqch comme 15Kw.....y a pas grand génératrice possible pour ca...genre une sur PTO de tracteur ou une fixe et ca coute une estifi de beurré.

If you're in Mtl I think I heard on the radio this week that the city will force people away from fire and oil heating options. Already started with fireplaces.

-14 aujourd’hui, on fait pas de lavage!

Bi-energie life

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Back