Can you put 2 new tires at time on AWD vehicles with dual motors.

student13

Hi folks, Merry (post) Christmas, I hope everyone got great deals on gifts.

I have a question.

I know that when I posted previously asking , if all 4 tyres have to be changed at the same time on 4WD/AWD the answer was YES all tyres have to be, and the same pattern and all treads have to have (3/32 max) 10% difference between the thickness of all 4 tyres.

Now here is the kicker on AWD /4WD vehicles with dual motors (ie xc90 T8, model X, outlander PHEV, model S 85D ) etc. etc. Can you get away with putting 2 new tyres on the front every year ,and moving the front rims to the back every year?
I would think the answer is yes because ,( dual electric motors) / ( hybrid "front" gas motor -"rear" electric motor) are physically not linked to each other as there is no traditional awd drive shaft to mess up ? Is this true or false?

Thanks.

PS: If I am technically wrong, please note I am not a mechanic.

You will have reduced grip on the rear tires due to the aged rubber.
This may upset the vechicle under emergency manoeuvres, giving you a bad day.

Furthermore 3/32 minimum on winter tires ? .....I would double that.

Hi folks, Merry (post) Christmas, I hope everyone got great deals on gifts.

I have a question.

I know that when I posted previously asking , if all 4 tyres have to be changed at the same time on 4WD/AWD the answer was YES all tyres have to be, and the same pattern and all treads have to have (3/32 max) 10% difference between the thickness of all 4 tyres.

Now here is the kicker on AWD /4WD vehicles with dual motors (ie xc90 T8, model X, outlander PHEV, model S 85D ) etc. etc. Can you get away with putting 2 new tyres on the front every year ,and moving the front rims to the back every year?
I would think the answer is yes because ,( dual electric motors) / ( hybrid "front" gas motor -"rear" electric motor) are physically not linked to each other as there is no traditional awd drive shaft to mess up ? Is this true or false?

Thanks.

PS: If I am technically wrong, please note I am not a mechanic.

The mechanical connection isn't the issue, these vehicles use wheel speed sensors to control the amount of torque provided. Depending on the difference in thread wear you could see false alerts/pre-mature activation of stability systems.

Also worth noting new tires are always recommended to be installed in the rear

Unless you are going from bald to brand new knobby mudders, the difference of treadwear is not going to set off the flat tire sensors.

This!

Tire neuf c'est 11-12 32

Des tires a 6 32 faut etre cave pour poser ca avant l'hivers. Tu vas finir l'hiver a 2 32.

Les systemes utilisent des speeds sensor mais utilisent aussi des gyroscope et des accelerometre pour corroborer l'informtion. De toute facon les systemes ont des tolérances et doivent considerere l'installation d'un life saver aussi.

Unless you are going from bald to brand new knobby mudders, the difference of treadwear is not going to set off the flat tire sensors.

Most manufactures have moved away from using tire rotation to calculate low tire pressure and use pressure sensors located at the valve.

This!

Tire neuf c'est 11-12 32

Des tires a 6 32 faut etre cave pour poser ca avant l'hivers. Tu vas finir l'hiver a 2 32.

Les systemes utilisent des speeds sensor mais utilisent aussi des gyroscope et des accelerometre pour corroborer l'informtion. De toute facon les systemes ont des tolérances et doivent considerere l'installation d'un life saver aussi.

Sauve de plus en plus de marque on pas de life saver comme option alors n'est pas un probleme.

Les tolerance depend entre marque mais peuve etre aussi bas que 2/32 de difference entre pneus.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

Also worth noting new tires are always recommended to be installed in the rear

I was always under the impression that this outdated statement is from the ' good old RWD days ' - Am I wrong?
nowadays with FWD cars, the front tires are always going to wear faster.

Nearly every manufacture says new tires go on the back.. but it could be a liability thing as more grip in the rear will produce understeer. Then you have the blowout factor and a front blow out is easier to control. So they wash their hands legally. I understand the reasoning. All manufactures got super paranoid when the Firestone / Explorers started rolling over because of rear tire blowouts

It's a dilemma and if you have to ask yourself all these questions it's probably better you buy 4 new tires. Ideally if you have the same size tires and rotate them correctly with yearly alignments they should all wear out evenly. 5-6 year old tires should be replaced regardless of wear.

It's not so much of an issue here since we swap our summers and winters over , so the rotation is done. In warmer areas or places that dont use winters you will see bald ass from tires and almost new rears.

Staggered setups are an exception of course and some cars just chew through tires. It's not a suspension or alignment issue, it's just how it is

Back