BowFlex Select tech 1090

ScoupeSpeed

Anybody own these? there's a pretty sweet deal on BowFlex Canada and I really like the idea of not having a shitload of dumbbells lying around...

I have a set like these (maybe older model) and i love them, quick adjustment unlike the powerblock. I also have the stand which is a must. Bought it used on kijiji search, you might find a used set for half the price.

I tried two models (Bowflex and PowerBlocks) in 1090 and ended up reselling and purchasing separate weights.

All the all-in-one have drawbacks I couldn't live with. My stack doesn't take much place and is much more versatile AND quicker to work with (PowerBlock was the worst, you need to shake them all the time). I did not need the 2.5lbs increment so it saves place and money.

The bulkiness also killed it, any overhead exercise makes you take a very bad position. The bowflex ends, being concave, are pretty nasty on the legs when you need leg assistance or you rest them.

Between the two, I liked the Bowflex MUCH MUCH better.

Bowflex is currently cheaper, 733$ landed, versus 791$ for the Power.

image.png

I tried two models (Bowflex and PowerBlocks) in 1090 and ended up reselling and purchasing separate weights.

All the all-in-one have drawbacks I couldn't live with. My stack doesn't take much place and is much more versatile AND quicker to work with (PowerBlock was the worst, you need to shake them all the time). I did not need the 2.5lbs increment so it saves place and money.

The bulkiness also killed it, any overhead exercise makes you take a very bad position. The bowflex ends, being concave, are pretty nasty on the legs when you need leg assistance or you rest them.

I also thought about that option, but I'm really into the compact aspect of the all in one, I'll go try out the PowerBlock at Fitness Depot today and check it out.

Reviews online seem to favor the PowerBlocks since they are compact when you need a lighter weight vs the BowFlex which are always close to 18 inches.

The reason I was considering them was that exact deal you found...

That and the price difference is massive in a full set.

Check out Kijiji. I got my powerblocks for 500$ with the stand, elite 90s.

Thanks PsychoBandito,
Ended up getting the PowerBlocks
Preferred the feel of the grips and the fact that I can rest them easily on my knees is something I really appreciate
Especially when I use them at 80 and 90 lbs..

I went with PowerBlock too. the 90lbs ones. Very happy with the purchase. For me the fact that I can rest them on my knee was a big factor.

I can see the bowflex ones being ok up to 50lbs, where you would be doing superset work for upper body that you want that super fast change.

I only use dumbbells for accessory work at the end of a barbell focused workout, so fast change has 0 importance. I also do a lot of work that requires flat ends like Tate presses.

Back