Official 2020 Toyota Supra

C'est encore pire là dessus, surtout avec le cover du crochet à towing en rouge.

Non mais à quoi ils pensent des fois!

Le team de marketing sait pas quoi faire des fois on dirait bien.

country-mirror-and-duct-covers.png

i find it's weird not to offer an option that is literally dropped in. does anyone know how much it costs to certify a separate drivetrain option for a given car? I can't imagine it's even a considerable amount. Why not just offer all drivetrains to all markets?

Serious question.

Weird? C'est le cas depuis toujours. Plein de chars en Europe et Japon sont disponibles awd, manuel, petit moteur, diesel, etc. pis ça vient jamais ici. Mais quand on voit comment marche une usine Toyota de petit volume (très flexible) c'est effectivement un non sens, surtout pour une transmission. Il y a les coûts des ratings EPA pis c'est pas mal ça je crois. Un moteur différent c'est sûrement plus de tests d'émissions ($$) que juste une autre transmission.

i find it's weird not to offer an option that is literally dropped in. does anyone know how much it costs to certify a separate drivetrain option for a given car? I can't imagine it's even a considerable amount. Why not just offer all drivetrains to all markets?

Serious question.
Because people in North America like spec'd out cars and "luxury" this is why we don't get BMWs 1er with 3cyl engines and cloth interiors or a 318i. It has nothing to do with emissions
Manufactures know what sells here and how to maximize profits.

The emissions testing is pretty much all done in house now anyways. The 2.0 engine passes already.

Weird? C'est le cas depuis toujours. Plein de chars en Europe et Japon sont disponibles awd, manuel, petit moteur, diesel, etc. pis ça vient jamais ici. Mais quand on voit comment marche une usine Toyota de petit volume (très flexible) c'est effectivement un non sens, surtout pour une transmission. Il y a les coûts des ratings EPA pis c'est pas mal ça je crois. Un moteur différent c'est sûrement plus de tests d'émissions ($$) que juste une autre transmission.
donc pourquoi ne pas prendre les commandes des gens carte blanche, mettre la tienne dans un queue, et l'usine la process dans un ordre logique. Comme ça win-win. T'as ton char spec exactement comme tu veux et Toyota conserve le max de clients, à la place de prévoir et stocker x montant de tel spec populaire.

Et une transmission manuelle, c'est pas cher à fabriquer et intégrer; à part les Buick Encore et les Nissan Rogues, presque toutes les véhicules pourraient avoir des MT comme option sans trop d'inconvéniant aux manufacturiers.

donc pourquoi ne pas prendre les commandes des gens carte blanche, mettre la tienne dans un queue, et l'usine la process dans un ordre logique. Comme ça win-win. T'as ton char spec exactement comme tu veux et Toyota conserve le max de clients, à la place de prévoir et stocker x montant de tel spec populaire.

Et une transmission manuelle, c'est pas cher à fabriquer et intégrer; à part les Buick Encore et les Nissan Rogues, presque toutes les véhicules pourraient avoir des MT comme option sans trop d'inconvéniant aux manufacturiers.
On lance une pétition pour amender la loi de protection du consommateur ou les lois de transport Canada? "Si un char existe en boîte manuelle quelque part dans le monde et que le manufacturier refuse de le vendre au Canada, il est tenu de payer une Supra manuelle en guise de dommages punitifs à la victime"

Because people in North America like spec'd out cars and "luxury" this is why we don't get BMWs 1er with 3cyl engines and cloth interiors or a 318i. It has nothing to do with emissions

The emissions testing is pretty much all done in house now anyways. The 2.0 engine passes already.
Smaller engines in Europe are usually ecobonus compliant but don't necessarily cost less to manufacture, I understand we don't get those. But transmissions, if the assembly has them on site already, why?

Or worse, manual only available on the base trim (which shares it's engine with all the trims).

How would a Camry LE or XLE 5mt (they only offered the CE with the 5mt back then) have adverse effects on the willingness to pay of a Camry LE 4at buyer?

Smaller engines in Europe are usually ecobonus compliant but don't necessarily cost less to manufacture, I understand we don't get those. But transmissions, if the assembly has them on site already, why?

Or worse, manual only available on the base trim (which shares it's engine with all the trims).

How would a Camry LE or XLE 5mt (they only offered the CE with the 5mt back then) have adverse effects on the willingness to pay of a Camry LE 4at buyer?
People don't drive manual here and it's even worse in the USA that's why. In some European countries you need to pass a driving test on manual to get a license. Those tiny 1.0l engines are fantastic but need a manual gearbox to get up a hill or moving. With an auto they are horribly slow... Those engines are cheap to manufacture as they're based on existing architecture...

Let's say you had a store would you sell products that linger around and only a few people buy once in awhile or products that move quickly that fit a broader audience?

Manual gearbox is virtually dead in North America

so why couldn't I get a 3-cyl 1-series with cloth seats, even if they sell 21 of those cars across Canada? Couldn't they test and certify that particular engine and offer it in all applicable vehicles across their lineup, and then simply wait for orders to fit them into their future clients' vehicles?

Other than a more lengthly (maybe in some cases much more lengthly) delivery, I can't imagine it would cost manufacturers any more than having to overstock popular, and some unpopular, spec'ed cars and having to liquidate those that didn't sell well, which sounds like waste to me.

so why couldn't I get a 3-cyl 1-series with cloth seats, even if they sell 21 of those cars across Canada? Couldn't they test and certify that particular engine and offer it in all applicable vehicles across their lineup, and then simply wait for orders to fit them into their future clients' vehicles?

Other than a more lengthly (maybe in some cases much more lengthly) delivery, I can't imagine it would cost manufacturers any more than having to overstock popular, and some unpopular, spec'ed cars and having to liquidate those that didn't sell well, which sounds like waste to me.
Manufactures do very detailed cost analysis and have the data for options, engines and particular trim specs. They know what is selling, they know what for the most part the general public wants. They have YEARs of data to fall back on.

21 cars is a drop in the bucket in terms of sales. It's not worth the effort for them. They might as well drop an option, like a manual gearbox as it's not worth having in the line up anymore. For smaller engines you risk having major backlash with not enough power. Ever been in an 114i or F30 318d/I with a load of people? North Americans want good acceleration...

I'd like that car too forsure with cloth seats etx. But you need to under the economics behind the choice. This is what many are failing to understand in this thread. The people doing the numbers at OEMs understand this much better than we do

People don't drive manual here and it's even worse in the USA that's why. In some European countries you need to pass a driving test on manual to get a license. Those tiny 1.0l engines are fantastic but need a manual gearbox to get up a hill or moving. With an auto they are horribly slow... Those engines are cheap to manufacture as they're based on existing architecture...

Let's say you had a store would you sell products that linger around and only a few people buy once in awhile or products that move quickly that fit a broader audience?

Manual gearbox is virtually dead in North America
I'm not talking about older 1.0 or 1.2 NA engines, but engines like the low tune n20, 1.5dci or 1.4tsi. the versions of these engines with higher power must cost about the same to manufacture so it's normal that we get the 1.4tsi/160hp here and not the ~120hp one.

Still, if a manual transmission is available at the plant where a north American car is manufactured, what's the cost aside from a new brochure? I don't care if it's on special order only with 3 months waiting, and even the same price as the automatic, as long as it's available.

I'm not talking about older 1.0 or 1.2 NA engines, but engines like the low tune n20, 1.5dci or 1.4tsi. the versions of these engines with higher power must cost about the same to manufacture so it's normal that we get the 1.4tsi/160hp here and not the ~120hp one.

Still, if a manual transmission is available at the plant where a north American car is manufactured, what's the cost aside from a new brochure? I don't care if it's on special order only with 3 months waiting, and even the same price as the automatic, as long as it's available.
Because from an economic view point it's not even worth to offer if because demand is so low, even if the car is built in the same place.. This is what many in this thread are failing to understand. I don't get what so hard to comprehend. While your car is taking 3 months to build they can move 500 other cars that got shipped with whatever specs

Y'a aussi et surtout les pièces a tenir en inventaire pour la durée des garanties et plus longtemps encore. Si Nissan vend 3 altima manuelle dans son année, ben ils doivent quand même stocker des bushing de transition manuelle dans leur entrepots, des fitting de transmition manuelle, des supports de transition manuelle, des tonnes et des tonnes de pièces de transition manuelle pendant des années et des années pour à peine 3 clients qui au fond, vont finir par faire perdre de l'Argent au constructeur après avoir planté perte total son Altima et que les pièces dans les entrepots, finalement, ils vont les crisser à scrap.

Tl;dr , le moins de versions, le moins d'option, le moins de différences possible dans les véhicules proposés, le mieux c'est pour les constructeur.

Back