Official 2020 Toyota Supra

ça va arriver c'est sur. Je crois pas que grand monde les garde stock longtemps. Des Z4 ça risque d'être plus des mononcle qui conduise le dimanche et garde ça stock mais les Supra ça sera pas le même monde!

je suis souvent sur la 15 sud, on va peut-être se croiser et j'ai un B58 dans ma chaloupe de 2 tonnes. si tu passe pas ma chaloupe tu passeras pas une Supra!

Haha c'est un rendez vous !
Mets une photo .

Haha c'est un rendez vous !
Mets une photo .

:D Nos amis de la popo aimerait trop nous identifier en photos!

Disons qu'on s'entend qu'on va partir du minimum permis à 60 et qu'on lâche le gas à 100 pour laisser les 53 pieds nous dépasser :bigup:

I know, I just don't think it's that precise. They'll use weight and 1/4 mile time (and trap speed?), then factor in drivetrain loss to calculate the peak power of the car?

You'd have very different results with a car that makes 335 hp from 5,000–6,500 rpm and 369 lb⋅ft from 1,600–4,500 rpm than you would with a car that had the same max power and torque, but with a more peaky delivery, no? This is why I asked how they factor the powerband into the equation. If they don't, it's far from precise.

Plus, we already have multiple dyno results. Why try to calculate the power that way?
What I don't get is why hardcore toyota fan boys are going nuts over it. It's a BMW with a Toyota body. The B58 is a gem of an engine, did you expect anything less ?

If anything having the Supra will make BMW aftermarket buts a but cheaper and plentiful

What I don't get is why hardcore toyota fan boys are going nuts over it. It's a BMW with a Toyota body. The B58 is a gem of an engine, did you expect anything less ?

If anything having the Supra will make BMW aftermarket buts a but cheaper and plentiful

My post wasn't even Supra related, or B58 related aside from the numbers I happened to pick.

I'm the most hardcore Toyota fanboy I've ever known and I'm actually not going nuts over it. As much as I've defended the car, for me it's an overall disappointment (much like the 86 was). I do think it's probably the most desirable new $65k car out there for me, but not enough to get me into a dealership. BMW partnership I could live with. BMW engine and no manual will leave me as an admirer instead of a potential buyer. I'm a Toyota fanboy after all and like you said, it's a BMW with a Toyota body. It will still be a better car than the Z4 though, because Toyota had their way with it. ;)

Toyota didn't do anything except pick up the phone to order a car.
"[...] Supra chief engineer Tetsuya Tada said the model couldn't exist for a price below $100,000 without the BMW partnership.

"To make the car so expensive would defeat the purpose of a Toyota sports car, that’s why it doesn’t use exotic materials like carbon fiber."

Toyota had input from the earliest stages about the Supra and Z4's shared platform, and then they*split up to design the vehicles. Toyota's engineers were also able to tweak the suspension and steering setups for their own machine.

"It wasn’t a matter of lowering costs, the Supra had to have an inline-six. BMW had a good inline-six."

Developing a new inline-six mill isn't a financially feasible option because Toyota is earmarking investments toward future electrification. The time for engineering the engine also would have delayed the Supra even longer.
Prices start at 50,920 for the base trim, and the Premium grade goes for $53,990."

TL;DR

Toyota is pooling all of its ressources and expertise into building hybrids and electric cars. They don't have the money/time to focus on sports cars anymore, and since BMW already has the bones for it, it's the only way to build a Supra for "cheap".

So it does make sense...except for the gearbox. Driving experience =/= AT

I know, I just don't think it's that precise. They'll use weight and 1/4 mile time (and trap speed?), then factor in drivetrain loss to calculate the peak power of the car?

You'd have very different results with a car that makes 335 hp from 5,000–6,500 rpm and 369 lb⋅ft from 1,600–4,500 rpm than you would with a car that had the same max power and torque, but with a more peaky delivery, no? This is why I asked how they factor the powerband into the equation. If they don't, it's far from precise.

Plus, we already have multiple dyno results. Why try to calculate the power that way?
I agree with you.
I pointed out the 1/4, ET and mass calculation to prove the dyno numbers that some people say can vary up to 100hp (which is horse crap, unless you take a 900hp car and start playing with elevation, I mean, 100hp over 400-ish is 25% error margin, which isn't realistically acceptable).

Make a little research though and you'll find out that unless you put a very, very poor driver in the car and that the car has a power band that looks like an electrocardiogram, those 1/4mile calculator are pretty damn precise. Guys in the states have played with these and sharpened the calculations for well over 25years now.
Physics don't lie!
Give a certain mass a certain amount of power over a given distance, it will always accelerate to the same final speed. Not talking about time though as this pertains to driving abilities!

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

Toyota basically is repeating a recipe that worked in the 90s, with a twist.

The 3sgte (90 to 98 Celica gt-four, mr2), the 4age (blacktop or silvertop in the ae86, corolla), the 3sge (Celica and some mr2), 1jz-2jz (mark, soarer, chaser, supra) and derivatives from these were developed in partnership with Yamaha.

I would get one.

The 3sgte (90 to 98 Celica gt-four, mr2), the 4age (blacktop or silvertop in the ae86, corolla), the 3sge (Celica and some mr2), 1jz-2jz (mark, soarer, chaser, supra) and derivatives from these were developed in partnership with Yamaha.

I would get one.

Okay

I would get one.

Developped by Yamaha yes, but for Toyota's needs and then built by Toyota. The B58 engine is made by bmw and for BMW first and foremost.

The gt86 is already more Toyota even though the engine is provided by Subaru.

Last edited:
Yamaha has built or designed all of Toyota's performance oriented cylinder heads, going back to the 2000GT (Toyota owns a small part of Yamaha). It would have been great to see them team up for a new Supra engine..

Back