First accident for me

android25ua

Hello all,

Just hit a car from the rear for the first time in my life. Have no experience in this field so I’m seeking input

Car: 2015 535i m sport
Damage: front passenger Adaptive LED headlight crushed, bumper cracked open with a hole 12x6inch, surface type scratch on the hood. No damage to the metal work. Headlight works and so does the fog light. Under first impression I definitely need a new headlight and a bumper.

Insurance: wawanessa with 1000 deductible
I’m guessing it’ll cost 5000-6000 to fix.

Questions:

What to tell or not to tell the estimator?

Given that I hit the car from the rear I’m automatically at fault? Notes: guy in front of me wasn’t indicating a right turn on the intersection and stopped abruptly. Initial speed is about 50kmh, braking hard but still hit him at the end.

What does no fault insurance in Quebec mean?

Where should I go to get this fixed in a good way with oem parts, have all the clips replaced have the paint done properly etc. Dealer? Automotion? Auto Bugatti on côté de liesse?

General input regarding this situation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You wont meet the estimator. Call your insurance company to open a case and tell what happened. Unless they scrap the car, you won't hear a word from anybody after that first call. Bring the car to the bodyshop of your choice, the estimator will go check it out, they'll repair it and that's it.

Yep you're at fault.

No fault means that what ever happens, your insurance company will pay for the damages. You could be drunk driving 300 and totaling your car they'll still pay.

No idea about good shops in your area but I had a bad experience going to get a car fixed at the dealer. Jobber parts when they should have put OEM ones and shitty paint job.

Source: 4 claims in the last 5 years.

Je tiens à souligner l'ironie qu'un conducteur de BMW se plaint que la voiture devant lui n'a pas utilisé ses clignotants avant de tourner !

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

1. Document everything

2. Your insurance company might pressure you to go to a shop they have arrangements with .
I don’t know what the law says about this.

3. Fight for depreciated value .

Ps how well documented are accidents with saaq or carfax in Canada ? Because depreciation value is now a big deal with us auto insurance contracts

I’d say change insurance company after this incident lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You wont meet the estimator. Call your insurance company to open a case and tell what happened. Unless they scrap the car, you won't hear a word from anybody after that first call. Bring the car to the bodyshop of your choice, the estimator will go check it out, they'll repair it and that's it.

Yep you're at fault.

No fault means that what ever happens, your insurance company will pay for the damages. You could be drunk driving 300 and totaling your car they'll still pay.

No idea about good shops in your area but I had a bad experience going to get a car fixed at the dealer. Jobber parts when they should have put OEM ones and shitty paint job.

Source: 4 claims in the last 5 years.
No fault applies to physical damages covered by the SAAQ, not to material damages covered by private insurers.

Private insurers won't pay you if you're at fault and only took responsibility insurance. They cannot revoke your insurance for drunk driving (or sue other insurers since 1978) but that's not related to no fault.

Differences between regimes (physical vs material damage, before 1978 and after) are well explained here.

http://www.chad.ca/fr/consommateurs...t-automobile-et-responsabilite-a-qui-la-faute

Last edited:
8-10K of real life damaged, wich equal to 14-16K body shop billing insurance. Whats going on with that 1k deductible, that ridiculous

8-10K of real life damaged, wich equal to 14-16K body shop billing insurance. Whats going on with that 1k deductible, that ridiculous

i always max out my deductible since i've never claimed and don't expect to claim. lowers your payments for free, as long as you don't claim.

i always max out my deductible since i've never claimed and don't expect to claim. lowers your payments for free, as long as you don't claim.
Accident can happen whenever. Nobody wakes up on a Saturday saying "hey it's nice outside today, let me claim my insurance"

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Si tu va au dealer BMW, juste un adaptive headlight c’est genre 4k$+ lol
The adjuster will make up the list of where the parts are and for how much assuming he goes to a non approved shop. You can bring it wherever that shop just needs to be okay with the insurance company terms 65$ hour etc. It's going to be very likely all the parts will be new though. Yes that head light is around 4k ish. Avoid a certain BMW dealer on Jean Talon, the body shop and service is horrid.

Broody explained no fault well. Something I wish more people knew. It won't matter about no turn signal etc you smashed into the back of him, see why you need a dash cam. Ouch for the 1000$ deductable though and good luck fighting for loss of value.

If you’re with wawanessa. You should have taken the first accident (claim) forgiveness package. Your damage sounds similar to mine but mine was a hit and run. Close to 9000k.

i can't beleive people still don't know the no-fault is only for injuries.

I basically means any injury/death/aftermath/disability caused on the road will be covered by the SAAQ and not your private insurance. Yes, even pedestrians.

i can't beleive people still don't know the no-fault is only for injuries.

I basically means any injury/death/aftermath/disability caused on the road will be covered by the SAAQ and not your private insurance. Yes, even pedestrians.
It also.means you cannot claim/sue the responsible party.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ya une difference entre avoir 0$ deductible et ce que 95% du monde on sois 250/500$ , 1000$ jai jamais vu personne prendre ca. Et pour le peux que ca baisse ta prime ca vaut pas la peine. La je parle pour du monde normal 30ans et plus qui on pas 10 ''claim'' a leur dossier.

Tu baisse ta prime de 10$ par mois mettons, tu sauve un gros 120$/année, donc tes mieux de pas avoir d'Accident d'ici 8 ans pour rentrer dans ton argent 100% , economie de broche a foin tant qua moi

I’d say change insurance company after this incident lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That might be even worse! Some companies have claim forgiveness where they'll forgive 1 at fault accident without raising his rates. One of the first questions a new company will ask is if he's had any claims in the past few years.

Ya une difference entre avoir 0$ deductible et ce que 95% du monde on sois 250/500$ , 1000$ jai jamais vu personne prendre ca. Et pour le peux que ca baisse ta prime ca vaut pas la peine. La je parle pour du monde normal 30ans et plus qui on pas 10 ''claim'' a leur dossier.

Tu baisse ta prime de 10$ par mois mettons, tu sauve un gros 120$/année, donc tes mieux de pas avoir d'Accident d'ici 8 ans pour rentrer dans ton argent 100% , economie de broche a foin tant qua moi

C'est plus 200$ par année d'économie pour moi, j'ai une auto depuis 1996 et jamais fait de réclamation. C'est un excellent rendement.

Il faut aussi prendre autre chose en considération, à quel point est ce que 1000$ d'un coup fait mal au budget de la personne? À un certain point dans la vie 1000$ de plus ou de moins c'est plate mais pas super grave.

Back