Exterior wall sheathing issue

FieroAlex

Legacy Member
I've gutted my 1st floor bathroom to do a full renovation and ran into an issue with my exterior wall sheathing. The house is a brick veneer bungalow from the 60's.

when I removed the old fibreglass with paper backing insulation from the wall I saw that bees had made a hive in the gap between the brick and the exterior sheathing. it seems that they ate or broke through the sheathing as the hive carried over into the insulation. I now have a hole the size of my fist where I can see my brick and a "damaged area" of about less than a foot long.

I removed the part of the hive that I could see inside the house. it was an old hive, not active.

How do I go about patching the sheathing from inside since I can't just go out back and remove the brick?

I spoke with a contractor and he suggested covering it up with a piece of plywood from inside and using some foam however that doesn't really let me waterproof the outside. Should I spray the face of the wood with something prior to placing it on the wall?

Has anyone here ever fixed sheathing from the inside and if so what did you do?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Met du tape rouge

une maison des années 60 , ta pas de tyvek , ta pas de jeu d'air , y'a pas grand chose que tu peux faire

Met du tape rouge

une maison des années 60 , ta pas de tyvek , ta pas de jeu d'air , y'a pas grand chose que tu peux faire
It currently has some sort of composite wood board with black tar membrane facing the brick and a 1 inch gap between the sheathing and brick. i'm cool with using tape, I just want to make sure it's the way to do it.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back