Brother in law's GLK is glitchy - Any recommendations?

Snail

Banned
So my brother in law has a 2013 GLK he bought used a few years back. He's not entirely satisfied with it, given it's Mercedes-levels of glitches, faulty sensors and expensive maintenance compared to his older Acura TL Type-S which it replaces. The latest is this :

He goes in to Mercedes to replace the front emblem, which is a traffic radar, since his is cracked. Also, the 12v cigarette lighter is replaced and a mechanical sunroof piece is also replaced. Soon after the repair, his center console screen begins to perpetually reboot, cycling through the Mercedes logo and a distraction warning, and a black screen, then back to the Mercedes logo, the warning, etc. He's unable to use his radio, bluetooth or any screen-related feature with the exception of the backup camera.

He returns to Mercedes with the newfound issue, and the tech promptly excuses the incomplete service on the basis that "an update was not performed following the replacement of the radar". So Mercedes updates his software and he's sent on his way. Now everything works perfectly well...until about a month later when he begins experiencing the same issue non-stop. Now, to this day, his GLK is still fucked. Oh and the warranty is now finished, over since December 31st.

Any thought on what to look for? Any shops you guys know that could accurately diagnose & repair this without charging Mercedes money? I want to say Momentum Motorsports, but they seem like high-end mechanical guys. Do they venture into Mercedes electronics?

2013-Mercedes-Benz-GLK-Class.jpg

In for recommendations, my father's ML of the same year, has been having the weirdest problems lately.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

I know for electronic shit, in the MB section, people recommend a guy near Decarie, I forget the name.
Obviously posting there will help you out. The way I handle it is for mechanical stuff I go to my guy,
for electrical stuff I reluctantly go to MB West Island.

But yes as a Mercedes owner, these cars are not worth it.

I would hesitate to go to Momentum for complicated electronics. You really need brand specific guy , who is known for electronic stuff.

In for recommendations, my father's ML of the same year, has been having the weirdest problems lately.

Because Mercedes likes to put the electrical system under the drivers seat in a hole that fills up with water. Have you seen the weather we have been having?

The issue is there are so many modules on different lines that sometimes we can't even diagnose the issue the issue properly. Sorry to say that but it's absolutely the truth. So like a PC reboot of the system and update. Better yet Mercedes will give you access to basic functions but anything more complex and you need THEIR software a doctorate in electrical engineering and a prayer. It's all fiber optic wiring too to make it more fun!

Based on my experience id say the Comand/AGW module is shot and goes into boot loop. No guarantee and there is no such thing as a cheap Mercedes repair.. The older ones had fans on them like a laptop, they fan would stop, module got hot and turned off. Cooled back down would turn and and repeat the process.

Last edited:
thanks for the input guys.

the more i read about Mercedes, the less I understand the appeal. I mean, you're paying the big bucks; one would expect you're getting great engineering and a solid product, no? I mean, why would you pay more for a car/suv? Usually it's because you want something above and beyond your average commuter. But instead, you get a vastly inferior product, overcomplicated with little to no benefit, wrapped in Nappa Leather and a bow. You pay for the bow, and you get a heap of shit.

wow. Why can't they build a better CX5?

4 year lease, then get another one. Mercedes selling Lexus since 1997. If you want to own something off warranty BMW or Audi is the better choice

Welcome to the real world.

If you can't affort it new, you can't affort it used.

Envoyé de mon Pixel en utilisant Tapatalk

4 year lease, then get another one. Mercedes selling Lexus since 1997. If you want to own something off warranty BMW or Audi is the better choice
i think Lexus is still the top choice for reliability in the luxury segment. But otherwise, it seems like the more you pay, the less you get. Sort of weird, if you ask me. Anyway, i'll stick to my cheapo cars (partially because I don't have a choice either way hahaha)

... it seems like the more you pay, the less you get....

These beautiful words sum up Mercedes in a nutshell... the more you pay the less you get.

I still can’t believe Mercedes has the balls to send me emails asking me to buy 5$ bottles of windshield fluid .... that ain’t even the best quality when CDN Tire wants 4$for their best
And Costco wants 3$ (Unit price) .

These beautiful words sum up Mercedes in a nutshell... the more you pay the less you get.

I still can’t believe Mercedes has the balls to send me emails asking me to buy 5$ bottles of windshield fluid .... that ain’t even the best quality when CDN Tire wants 4$for their best
And Costco wants 3$ (Unit price) .
Home Depot is 2.50$ for fluid! Sometimes the cashier will scan up the entire box at 2.50$

Is bmw really much better

Not really, imo. Basically, until people stop buying Euro shit, and go all out for Japaneese luxury, nobody will ever learn.
(Yes this means me too) . Lexus or Acura or Mitsubishi etc. all the way.

I know for electronic shit, in the MB section, people recommend a guy near Decarie, I forget the name.
Obviously posting there will help you out. The way I handle it is for mechanical stuff I go to my guy,
for electrical stuff I reluctantly go to MB West Island.

But yes as a Mercedes owner, these cars are not worth it.

I would hesitate to go to Momentum for complicated electronics. You really need brand specific guy , who is known for electronic stuff.

probably Eurowa on St-Jacques, i deal with the owner Frantz almost every day at work, he is special, elderly gentleman, in his 70's ... one of the rare ZF distributor in Canada.

as for electronic issues on GLK and other Benz, what we see at my work as common electronic issues is water infiltration or snow melting near the driver's foot where they decided to put a ECU.

Acura? Meh

Je me demande vraiment ce qu'ils font encore. Les derniers modèles sont assez ordinaires et ils se ressemblent tous.

Ya rien de prestigieux ou de si Hot dans un Acura. Tant qu'à payer des gros sous, Audi et BMW bien avant.

Not really, imo. Basically, until people stop buying Euro shit, and go all out for Japaneese luxury, nobody will ever learn.

did i just see mitsubishi and luxury in the same phrase?

mitsubishi luxury ? lol

Back