Cancelling reception hall for marriage - HELP!

Not to bump an old thread but my wedding is in 7 days. I can tell you 20k doesn't get you much these days , maybe if you have it at so so venue with 75 people. We are 200 at mine, venue is tier 1 and has been excellent to deal with. Not the cheapest option but they had all the answers and everything was black and white. Some venues we visited were useless at life and didn't want to accommodate what we wanted. Remember it's your day! Well more for the bride The typical halls have preset menus etc and don't deviate from that because they know it works. We decided to pay a bit more per head and get exactly what we wanted at the venue we wanted close to home and central to where most guests will drive. Those usual halls in St Leonard, St Laurent or Laval are craptacular meat markets.

The venue is just a very small part of it and IMO it's the easy part. You just pay them, assign a date and wait. What starts to up up quick are the ancillary costs. I'm not even talking about the dress/suit but more like decor, wedding gift to people etc. We have lots of people coming from Europe and we are covering their "head fee" that's how it's done. Photographer is around 3000-3500$ 2x photographers for 8 hours, engagement shoot which is more like a test run a few months before. So how does it break down who pays what? Well my wife is italian so her parents are covering a good part of the actual event, mom bought the dresses etc. My dad paid for my suit and anything to do with my side of things (best men gifts etc). The rest we are paying for, photographer, decor, DJ, parking at the venue, whatever else including a portion of the venue fee. Im sure I am forgetting things but its been a year of planning, phone calls and meetings.

40-60k is pretty much the norm. We are at the high end of that number. Cancelling before 30 days for us is 10% of total estimated cost, Within 30 is 25%. Directly to my Amex card.. That number isn't even including the honeymoon. Her parents paid for the Cruise and that portion.

Last edited:
Right ?
e962ff1ffa8c774cd7753d9173ca6b64.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Not to bump an old thread but my wedding is in 7 days. I can tell you 20k doesn't get you much these days , maybe if you have it at so so venue with 75 people. We are 200 at mine, venue is tier 1 and has been excellent to deal with. Not the cheapest option but they had all the answers and everything was black and white. Some venues we visited were useless at life and didn't want to accommodate what we wanted. Remember it's your day! Well more for the bride The typical halls have preset menus etc and don't deviate from that because they know it works. We decided to pay a bit more per head and get exactly what we wanted at the venue we wanted close to home and central to where most guests will drive. Those usual halls in St Leonard, St Laurent or Laval are craptacular meat markets.

The venue is just a very small part of it and IMO it's the easy part. You just pay them, assign a date and wait. What starts to up up quick are the ancillary costs. I'm not even talking about the dress/suit but more like decor, wedding gift to people etc. We have lots of people coming from Europe and we are covering their "head fee" that's how it's done. Photographer is around 3000-3500$ 2x photographers for 8 hours, engagement shoot which is more like a test run a few months before. So how does it break down who pays what? Well my wife is italian so her parents are covering a good part of the actual event, mom bought the dresses etc. My dad paid for my suit and anything to do with my side of things (best men gifts etc). The rest we are paying for, photographer, decor, DJ, parking at the venue, whatever else including a portion of the venue fee. Im sure I am forgetting things but its been a year of planning, phone calls and meetings.

40-60k is pretty much the norm. We are at the high end of that number. Cancelling before 30 days for us is 10% of total estimated cost, Within 30 is 25%. Directly to my Amex card.. That number isn't even including the honeymoon. Her parents paid for the Cruise and that portion.
This explains the Dahl.

les italiens sont fort sur le gros mariage , Gregster , est-ce que ta belle famille va faire jouer la toune du parrain ? hehe

D'après moi OP avait raison et ne peut plus se payer internet , va falloir faire un gofundMe , je suis curieux de son ending story
I completely forgot I had to update this thread.

UPDATE:

it was a risk, and we came away unscathed.

In the end, the entire wedding cost us 32k and we ended up getting 39k in cash. It was seriously a huge surprise to me, it was almost double what I was expecting to get.

The entire day was perfect. The hall was perfect, the dj was incredible and the photographer put us at ease.

The biggest problem of the day was that it went by too fast.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Moi aussi je trouvais ça ridicule de mettre des montants faramineux sur des mariages, mais dans le fond, s'ils ont les moyens et que ça les rend heureux, why not ?

Yolo

imagine ceux qui '' investissent '' 3 mois de salaire dans une bague de mariage

hehe
That's just stupid.. the engagement ring was 2k and her band was about 900$. My ring was literally 60$. The trip to give her the engagement ring cost more

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Un an de salaire moyen pour une journée, faut avoir une cellule de péter quelque part. Jai assisté a un mariage d'un de mes chums, sa femme la crissé la 4 mois après. 1 an et demi apres il payait encore le mariage qu'il a eu avec son ex femme parce que madame voulait sa journée de princesse...

Elles veulent toutes une journée où elles sont la PRINCESSE. Elles se foutent qui paient (tant que ça ne soit pas elles) en autant qu'elles aient toutes leur "grande journée".

Je vois que vos relations de couple sont saines!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Ma relation est saine parce que, justement, je ne me suis pas marié.

J'ai été invité à 3mariages.
1- Un de mes amis qui s'est marié avec un ptit budget (par + de 5K). Ça faisait l'affaire de tout le monde. Il s'est divorcé 5ans après.
2- Un de mes cousins s'est marié à une fille dont les parents étaient 2médecins. Elle a eu sa journée "princesse" parce que ses parents y ont mis beaucoup d'argent. Aujourd'hui, il se fait mener par le bout du nez parce que sa conjointe une vétérinaire "qui a réussit dans la vie". Pendant qu'elle était aux études, mon cousin a tout payé pour financer ses rêves à elle.
3- Un de mes cousin m'a invité à son mariage et j'ai décliné. C'est le type de gars fendant et mythomane (il disait qu'il a un MBA et c'est même pas vrai. Il a, au mieux, un AEC en informatique). Il exigeait 200$ par invité + cadeau (en 2010). Plus de la moitié de la famille n'y ait pas allé à cause qu'il était devenu irraisonnable. 2mois avant la date fadique, il a commencé à faire des invitations random dans tout son réseau social. Dans ce cas, c'était lui la vraie princesse.

Alors, lorsque je me compare à ça, je me console. :)

Back