Used F-18s will cost more says DnD

Problem is nothing with the J-20 (and Russian jets) is nothing built to NATO specs in regardless to weapon systems and avionics. We also don't have a great relationship with China and they would never sell one to a western nation.

Trump wants to get rid of NATO so we might as well ignore those specs.
Trump wants to do lots of things but the majority of defense contracts for US firms need those sweet NATO nations to sell things too. Even if he ditched it (unlikely) all our other allies pretty much use the same hardware... So now you have an aircraft or weapons system that doesn't plug in to what your friends have.. thus you need another supply chain and are limited in capability

Canada isn't buying Chinese or Russian jets. Period

Good job! Submarines 2.0..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pbo-fighter-jets-1.5036942

This cost will only go up.. it's like buying the cheap project car and putting money into it vs buying the clean one from the start. All this because the Liberals were so deadset against the F-35 then realized its the best package, but couldn't back track on a major campaign promise

Couldn't agree more, read a few articles on this... I couldn't believe when I saw we're getting the Austarlians junk.... (not that the plane is junk it's self, but it's old/outdated/etc...)

In all honesty whe I first heard about the order of the F35 I was against it as most people, however:
- prices have gone down a lot and we already invested in that program so much,
- the F35 also started proving it's self as a very capable fighter
- very easy and important system integration with the other allies...

For those that don't know, the F35 eventhough lots of versions and new objectives are being set for it, it's a very capable "coordinator" being able to go deep in adversary territorry and give feedback on defenses, etc... to all the other non stealthy/bigger range/more weapons capacity fighters and/or subs/carriers/etc...

I think the last I've heard of it, the price was down to 80-90mills per plane, which isn't so bad compared to the other planes, obviously I'm excluding russian build planes that are much cheaper, but look at what boeing/eurofighter/saab grippen/etc... prices, it's not like they're so cheap either...

Pentagon is buying some F15-X but it's overkill for us. I believe SAAB and Dassault pulled out of the tender already.

Couldn't agree more, read a few articles on this... I couldn't believe when I saw we're getting the Austarlians junk.... (not that the plane is junk it's self, but it's old/outdated/etc...)

In all honesty whe I first heard about the order of the F35 I was against it as most people, however:
- prices have gone down a lot and we already invested in that program so much,
- the F35 also started proving it's self as a very capable fighter
- very easy and important system integration with the other allies...

For those that don't know, the F35 eventhough lots of versions and new objectives are being set for it, it's a very capable "coordinator" being able to go deep in adversary territorry and give feedback on defenses, etc... to all the other non stealthy/bigger range/more weapons capacity fighters and/or subs/carriers/etc...

I think the last I've heard of it, the price was down to 80-90mills per plane, which isn't so bad compared to the other planes, obviously I'm excluding russian build planes that are much cheaper, but look at what boeing/eurofighter/saab grippen/etc... prices, it's not like they're so cheap either...

The problem with the F-35 is that the annual maintenance costs are prohibitive and the fighter's lifespan may be as low as 2100 flight hours.

The problem with the F-35 is that the annual maintenance costs are prohibitive and the fighter's lifespan may be as low as 2100 flight hours.
Ok and? Fighters aren't cheap to maintain. They never have been, especially for a new type. Those costs come down over time. Those are combat hours fyi on early frames.

You've been drinking the KoolAid

prohibitive compared to what? Russian/Chinese fighters? I don't think so, a lot of information going around in regards to maintenance/lifespan, as it was the case for the fighter capabilities, it went from too expensive over 100mills per plane, with doubtful stealth capabilities, maintenance costs higher than older planes and a small lifespan, to something cheaper, more capable and with very good lifespan and cheaper maintenance costs than actual planes....

so yeah, lol.... I'm guessing the truth is somewhere in between

Pentagon is buying some F15-X but it's overkill for us. I believe SAAB and Dassault pulled out of the tender already.

F-15X is over kill, and a pretty stupid move, IMHO - 24 AAM? In what war do they think they are going to be used?

However, we should buy whatever is the current F-15 being already built (the silent eagle?) - they are excellent interceptors, decent dog fighters and capable bombers.

Have they fixed the issue for F-35 not being able to perform in the extreme cold weather of our Northern Territory, not having the type of range we require, not being able to have stealth capacity when carrying additional fuel pods, having to be housed in heated hangars at all time?

We don't know for sure because testing is still ongoing... that is a fact.

Note that the article is dated December 6, 2018.
https://www.defensenews.com/2018/12/07/after-a-couple-months-delay-the-f-35-moves-into-operational-tests/

On one side, I feel Gregster is pushing the USA's DoD wordage while on the other, people are drinking the cool-aid of Russia and China on the capacities of their own Defense contractors. I still think Drones is where it's at now-a-days.

So when does Top Gun 2 come out?

Eating-Popcorn-GIF-Image-for-Whatsapp-and-Facebook-14.gif

Back