Used F-18s will cost more says DnD

I still think Drones is where it's at now-a-days.

Agree 100%.

Yet another area where the CAF are woefully behind the curve.

Or sometype of converted airliner capable of dropping guided munition to fullfill our NATO requirement of getting embroiled in foreign conflicts that do not concern us. As for Norad - subcontract it to some US mercenary firm. What could go possibly wrong? :p

Have you guys seen the news from the company Kalashnikov?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/02/23/kalashnikov-assault-rifle-changed-world-now-theres-kalashnikov-kamikaze-drone/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.29f9ba1e4833

The Kalashnikov assault rifle changed the world. Now there’s a Kalashnikov kamikaze drone.

The Russian company that gave the world the iconic AK-47 assault rifle has unveiled a suicide drone that may similarly revolutionize war by making sophisticated drone warfare technology widely and cheaply available.

The Kalashnikov Group put a model of its miniature exploding drone on display this week at a major defense exhibition in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates, where the world’s arms companies gather every two years to show off and market their latest wares.

The tiny item was dwarfed by the tanks, armored vehicles and fighter jets that were also on display. But it has as much potential to change the face of war as its older cousin, the AK-47, widely referred to simply as the Kalashnikov.

With its low price, high efficiency and ease of use, the Kalashnikov rifle became the weapon of choice for revolutionaries and insurgents around the world, empowering disgruntled citizens against their governments in Latin America, Africa and Asia. It remains a potent tool to this day: The Pentagon purchases secondhand Kalashnikov rifles for its allies in Syria and Afghanistan, rather than give them more expensive American-made guns.

The Kalashnikov drone — officially named the KUB-UAV — will likewise be simple to operate, effective and cheap, its manufacturers claim — and just as revolutionary. It will mark “a step toward a completely new form of combat,” said Sergey Chemezov, chairman of Russia’s state-owned Rostec arms manufacturer, which owns a controlling stake in Kalashnikov, according to Kalashnikov’s news statement on the launch.

The KUB is four feet wide, can fly for 30 minutes at a speed of 80 mph and carries six pounds of explosives, the news release says. That makes it roughly the size of a coffee table that can be guided to explode on a target 40 miles away — the equivalent of a “small, slow and presumably inexpensive cruise missile,” according to a report by the National Interest website.
(...)

80MPH lol...

The Syrian army on their Toyota pick-up trucks and using a regular machine gun can gun them down mid flight.

If that ridiculous though helps you sleep better at night...

I just can't be bothered by a drone that flies at 80MPH, has a 40 mile range and is the size of a coffee table. There are so many different ways to defeat it: From aviary netting to anti-air missiles.

Let's just say they better have numbers.

One coming at you, scary but you can evade and/or defeat.

10 starts to be more worrysome.

100 = no escape other than aviary netting assuming they all come at once.

EDIT: I'm talking in regards of not being a bad move for the pentagon, btw. not sure but I think that planes aren't our only problem, we don't have that many pilots...

the f15x it's not such a bad move in regards to they're strategy, again the idea being to send the f35 deep into ennemy terriotory while sending all the targetting data to the f15x that can carry a shit load of ammunitions not only in number but in size and range.... so they can stay outside the defensive systems while having precise targeting data to destroy them, that's one example, the other is that the f35 destroys the defenses and then you have the f15x following with more munitions, with no need for stealth and saving some $$$$

the problem with older planes isn't they're range or 'dog fighting' capabilities, it's they're technology, things have progressed a lot in that area, read on how saab is selling the grippen as a russian jet fighter killer.

so even if you don't need to new weapons/more range/etc... buying an older "model" f15 isn't really an option, you'll need to have it updated as well in regards to sensors/software/etc... so it won't be that much cheaper...

Last edited:
That's their fault for having crappy security. That doesn't bode well for the safety of the ALIS software against hackers.

I think they fixed the engines, although last I've hear the J20 still can't supercruise without afterburners..... same for the russian one, forgot the name lol su57!!?!?

Anyway 5th gen fighters are so last week, it's all about the 6th gen, manned and unmanned and as mentioned drones, more precisely "swarms" of drones that act "together" to accomplish an objective, things are getting fedup, imagine biological attack by drones to target a specific building/place/person or whole city.... oh not to talk about low yelds atomic bombs that are back in the game, actually same size but they can adjust the yeild....

EDIT: Read a few articles on my favorite jet fighter F22 on my google feed, 1 year later, I'm reading 10+ articles/per day on related subjects lol, I do love this stuff, not the destruction, but the tech involved

Just buy the Eurofighter, Airbus will build them here in Quebec.
Those kind of things are heavily influenced by politics and are often linked to bigger strategic movements. Like for example: Airbus agrees to buy the rest of the CSeries Partnership (CSALP) if Canadian government buys some Eurofighters - which in turn, Airbus agrees to build the fighters in Mirabel. Or Airbus decides to put a new A350 assembly line in Mirabel in exchange for Canadian government favorable consideration on future aircraft contracts and heavily discounted tax credits to build in Mirabel (similar to what Bombardier Commercial Aircraft received to locate the original CSeries final assembly line in Mirabel).

Last edited:
That's basically what the gov did back in the day to prop up Canadair in Cartierville .. Built licensed versions of US aircraft for example F86, F104, F-5 Oddly enough our Sabre Mk5s with Orenda 14 engine was the best performing F86.. I don't believe we will see an A350 line here, the supply chain would need to be developed but the Eurofighter idea is something I've discussed with friends as not a horrible idea.

This is what you need to fight jihadi in a sandbox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embraer_EMB_314_Super_Tucano

Back