Crazy Difference in Value. Worth the drive to you?

Farther drive better house or closer but not as good?

• Better house

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Closer

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
We had the same debate last year for a newly built monster of a house in Vaudreuil for around 500k 3300sq feet of living space versus 550-600k 2700sq. feet in the west

Reality is we're now 3 minutes from my mom, 7 minutes from her sister... a walk away from parks/schools, all the major stores/malls nearby ... all of this has to be put into you "calculation" as well... driving from off island to get to fairview on weekends as an example... ya no traffic, but you're killing the mileage on your car/gas/maintenance ... all of these also need to be accounted for on the long run

I think you need to look at DDO near Saint John (so the nice area), or Pierrefonds around Antoine Faucon area and maybe not be afraid of buying cheaper to renovate a bit (you don't need to do a complete overhaul)

In my case we purchased last August.... the floors on the second floor were finished so we changed them right away (48 hours in/out for Plancher Lavallee) ,thermopompe was on its last winter at best, painting and removing wallpaper ... all in all 20k of renovations

If you're looking around Pointe Claire/Beaconsfield .... you're paying for the location but let's be honest... the west island is the west island... these locations are all 10min. from each other

Si tu vis à St-Jérôme et travaille là bas fine, mais c'est pas le débat que soulève OP.

J'ai pas parler de St-Jerome. Tu peut travailler a Montreal, sans travailler au centre-ville. Y'en a plein des business dans le west island, y'en a aussi a St-Laurent. Y'en a partout. Tu peut pas juste utiliser "y'a du traffic pour se rendre au centre-ville" comme argument. OP n'a jamais specifier que le travail dans la situation mentionner est au centre-ville.

Si tu vis à St-Jérôme et travaille là bas fine, mais c'est pas le débat que soulève OP.

Actually Broody, you inadvertently answered the question.

... en effet 30 ou 50 minutes tu te dis 20 minutes de plus c'est pas pire dans le confort de mon char

People who want the suburban lifestyle with a house that doesn't share walls, a backyard to barbecue, a private garage with driveway, etc., they will go to Laval, South Shore, West Island because those are the closest markets that have what they are looking for.

Like you said, what's 20 more minutes in the comfort of your car if it means getting much more of the things you are seeking, bigger backyard, two car garage instead of 1... whatever it is that makes you happy. That is the essence of my question.

If not having to take the car at all is your thing then the priorities change and my question is no longer applicable because you're not looking in the suburbs in the first place.

@Xcessive, that's an awesome picture/view.

Back