Vision Zero - Montreal to reduce speed limits to improve pedestrian safety

The real issue is heavy trucks destroying the already shitty roads. I'm not talking about construction trucks but driving a big rig into the city or neighborhood to refill starbucks is stupid. I see it first hand every day...

You only realised how fuckin huge, heavy and numerous are the vehicules in Montreal once you've travelled abroad...

You will always have dump trucks, cement trucks etc driving around. What you notice traveling is how they are lower to the ground, are cab over and have some sorta pedestrian crash bars. I'm not saying people dont get killed elsewhere by them but it makes you think. A couple weeks ago at the bike show the SAAQ had a truck setup, a regular size delvery truck showing just how you couldn't see out of it. Want to start having GPS limters? Install them in trucks first, there is ZERO reason why a fully loaded big rig needs to be driving at 110kph. Limit it at 80... That cement truck on St Patrick? Hard limit at 40. What I always find hilarious is how there is still an active flour mill in Little Burgundy and how many big rigs travel down notre dame getting to it or coming in a residential area..

Set up a congestion zone for all cars/trucks entering the downtown zone during the week between 8-5 once REM is built. Lowering speed limits is just pissing in the wind. If you want to limit car use and feel you need to lower the death rate go big or go home. But no, they don't want to build parking at off island REM stations or even on island suburb, they don't want a congestion charge, they don't want to fix the roads. So wtf? you think lowering the limit will suddenly solve the problems? I seriously believe sometimes that they pull ideas out from a hat or read wikipedia on what other cities have done and just apply "Montreal Logic" to it.

Install them in trucks first, there is ZERO reason why a fully loaded big rig needs to be driving at 110kph. Limit it at 80... That cement truck on St Patrick? Hard limit at 40. What I always find hilarious is how there is still an active flour mill in Little Burgundy and how many big rigs travel down notre dame getting to it or coming in a residential area.. .

Trucks already have speed limiters in Quebec at 105. Why does it make sense for trucks to go that fast? Vancouver to Montreal is 4500km... It's a long drive going 80.

Besides, absolute speed isn't always the largest factor. The speed difference can also be a big deal. No one wants to be stuck behind the dump truck. If it can't keep up with the flow of traffic, it might just make it worse by encouraging reckless drivers to try and get ahead at any cost.

If you make this a "limiter within city limits only kind of deal", you can't trust people to actually turn it on consistently.

They're going after the low effort, low hanging fruit so it looks like they're doing something.

Montreal's road network hasn't kept up with the increase in population. The metropolitaine is a joke.

Trucks already have speed limiters in Quebec at 105. Why does it make sense for trucks to go that fast? Vancouver to Montreal is 4500km... It's a long drive going 80.

Besides, absolute speed isn't always the largest factor. The speed difference can also be a big deal. No one wants to be stuck behind the dump truck. If it can't keep up with the flow of traffic, it might just make it worse by encouraging reckless drivers to try and get ahead at any cost.

If you make this a "limiter within city limits only kind of deal", you can't trust people to actually turn it on consistently.

They're going after the low effort, low hanging fruit so it looks like they're doing something.

Montreal's road network hasn't kept up with the increase in population. The metropolitaine is a joke.

I wonder how "hard" that limiter is, I often find myself having to pass trucks going 120+ plus. The limiter doesn't need to be manually turned on, it can come on automatically. It's the low efforts that drive me nuts, do something serious for a change. Montreal to Vancouver? It's called a train.. maybe if we built something called a pipeline rail transport can be freed up for freight

No road network anywhere in North America and large parts of Europe has kept up with the increase of vehicles on the road but the EU has done a better job at getting them out of the cities for the most part... Sadly places with elevated expressways are sorta fucked... Tunneling is stupid expensive and knocking down a major highway is a pain in the ass. The EU and Asia they made a good effort at public transit, it actually goes somewhere and the train feeder stations will have parking lots for a modest fee. I always feel we are in the shit because of 50-60s vision where you have a car(cars have been always cheap here) live away from where you work and if you take a bus it makes you a pleb. Now we are stuck with the hangover.... In my country once you hit 60, you wouldnt be able to vote anymore

How about requiring pedestrians to wear a bubble if they want to walk down the street. [/sarc]

bubble-soccer-battle-balls-14122.jpg

Plante was born in Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec on June 14, 1974.[4][5][6] She spent a year in North Bay, Ontario as a teenager to learn English.[7][8] In 1994 she moved to Montreal to attend university, receiving a degree in anthropology in 1997,[5] and another in museology in 2001.[5][6][7] She then worked for a number of non-profit organizations, most notably as communications director of the Girls Action Foundation - Fondation Filles d'Action.[7]

In the 1990s she worked as a tour guide at Vimy Ridge in France.[9]

lol.

Je sais pas pour vous mais admettons qu'un piéton traverse sans regarder et qu'il meurt, je ne vois pas le besoin de changer le réglementation.

^^^ That says it all
Like Trudeau resume is any better and he became PM! As I've said before people here vote on who they rather have at dinner vs policy. People wanted Coderre gone so bad after the media smearing that most didn't care about what project Montreal stood for. Now they same people who voted them in will cast them out

Je suis au centre-ville de MTL pour la job. Je crois être le seul moron sur le coin de la rue qui ne traverse pas sur une rouge. J'ai vu 2 personnes ce faire frappé sur du parc et les 2 fois, traverser sur une rouge. Un piéton et une femme à vélo.

Montréal adore faire du nivellement par le bas.

L'an passé un cycliste a ramassé un piéton qui regardait son cell en traversant. Dommage que je n’ai pas filmé cela, ça aurait été excellent dans YLYL.

Je suis au centre-ville de MTL pour la job. Je crois être le seul moron sur le coin de la rue qui ne traverse pas sur une rouge. J'ai vu 2 personnes ce faire frappé sur du parc et les 2 fois, traverser sur une rouge. Un piéton et une femme à vélo.

L'an passé un cycliste a ramassé un piéton qui regardait son cell en traversant. Dommage que je n’ai pas filmé cela, ça aurait été excellent dans YLYL.
I got hit twice on my bike last year.. both in West Island! I also mowed down a stupid rollerblader on Lachine canal that cut me off

Vision 2020- Montreal to impose fines on distracted jaywalkers to improve pedestrian safety

A few years ago ~4?!? they did, I was working near Concordia University and there were always cops there giving tickets to jaywalkers or people passing on red.

That's not a great solution either, one way street, no cars, no parked cars that are about to leave, no cyclists or other, but they you have to wait for the f green light, cause the cop isn't smart enough to make the difference between this and an idiot that passes the street without looking ...

les petites rue je m'en fous 40 = correct

mais boulevard a 40 .... I HOPE NOT!? au moins 50 svp

ca fait deja dure d'aller 50 dans les voies de services de l'ouest de l'île quand à laval sont à 70....

hehehe ya meme des boulevards a Laval que c'est maximum 60... je pense entre autre a cure-labelle et Notre-Dame.

Moi aujourd'hui c'était la première fois que j'ai vu un cycliste faire son stop pour me laisser passer. J'étais tellement satisfait et confus en même temps. J'aurais dû m'arrêter, descendre, et lui serrer la main.

Moi aujourd'hui c'était la première fois que j'ai vu un cycliste faire son stop pour me laisser passer. J'étais tellement satisfait et confus en même temps. J'aurais dû m'arrêter, descendre, et lui serrer la main.
Je travail au centre ville pis j'te garantie que personne respect les règles... automobilistes piétons cycliste name it. Les règles sont inexistantes. Mais c'est plus cool d'être dans le confort de son auto et chialer contre les autres moyen de transport.

Back