Boeing 737 Max 8

USA now grounds them also

So basically they are grounded everywhere

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My bro feels the issue is pilot training and not the jet. Pilots are being hired with less experience than ever and flying jets that are more complicated than ever. He's in the industry and knows a lot more than me about this so I value his opinion.

As a casual uninformed observer, to me it seems that something is clearly wrong. Seems like they're doing the same thing with jets as they are with cars; implementing "safety" features that have not been perfected. Complicating the shit out things unnecessarily. Fixing something that isn't broken.

I don't know if you realize this, but this is almost verbatim what Trump tweeted. The problem is something was broken: the new engines on the MAX8 put it out of balance. I don't know that software was the best solution, maybe balancing the damn plane would have been better, but it's not exactly Boeing's or the FAA's first 737 revision. Like any crash, there are many factors that combine to create an accident. Wait for the investigation results.

I don't know if you realize this, but this is almost verbatim what Trump tweeted. The problem is something was broken: the new engines on the MAX8 put it out of balance. I don't know that software was the best solution, maybe balancing the damn plane would have been better, but it's not exactly Boeing's or the FAA's first 737 revision. Like any crash, there are many factors that combine to create an accident. Wait for the investigation results.
The last major rework of the 737 was the 300 and NG which retained lots of bits from the 300. The CFM engines on them needed reworking and new cowls to clear the ground as Boeing didn't want to modify the gear and original mission. An aircraft that didn't need a belt loader for bags or a gate.

Ideally the 737 needed a major rework aka new plane. Southwest and Ryanair had lots of say in the Max specifically the systems used. Lots of "design" on it goes back to the days of the 707/727....

Airbus had it easier with the 320Neo

Also, there is a political component to this. The US have been on a confrontational course over the last years, playing economic wars & shitting all over many big Europeen or Asian companies. This might also be a quick and pretty legit way to stick it up to them for it.

I'm glad we did (for all the wrong reasons) Boeing sued us and the U.S has imposed "national security tariffs" on our steel.

You can be a bully as much as you want, but don't expect sympathy from me when your planes make unintended contact with the ground.

I'd say 18 Canadians dying is a legit enough concern for boeing to spend some time in the penalty box. I know this isn't likely great for Air Canada or West Jet, but it is what it is.

Gregster, could you explain me how come the first step in a MCAS malfunction isn't to disable the autopilot and take control manually ?
It's maybe too simplistic but I read that MCAS doesn't work when AP is disabled.

Thank you,

I'm glad we did (for all the wrong reasons) Boeing sued us and the U.S has imposed "national security tariffs" on our steel.

You can be a bully as much as you want, but don't expect sympathy from me when your planes make unintended contact with the ground.

I'd say 18 Canadians dying is a legit enough concern for boeing to spend some time in the penalty box. I know this isn't likely great for Air Canada or West Jet, but it is what it is.
Regardless AC is down 24 frames on a fleet that is already stretched out. Many new routes that were launched and are being launched were built around the MAX.. YUL-DUB , YUL- BOD for example ...

I'm sure CBC already has the "my family got stuck at the airport and all we got was a voucher" reports ready to go.

I was on a AC 737 Max 8 flight from Calgary to Montreal last Thursday, beautiful aircraft. I would have no issues boarding the same flight tomorrow morning.

The issue is the fact they have added sensors and automated inputs that are driven by those sensors which must be overridden when the system fails at take off or climb out.., otherwise your airplane will crash . Pilots are now being taught extended envelope training.. Not sure how it applies to bad weather or low altitude. It must have sucked for those guys dealing with the problem, being confused with the problem... It's easy for the armchair pilot on Youtube to say "Oh you know they had to do this" yea easy to say when you don't have 200 people behind you, dropping altitude etc..

Read up on Lauda Air 004, Uncommanded thrust reverser deployment in flight.. Niki Lauda flew the same flight profile in a simulator and found out it was a recoverable event after running the simulation a bunch of times. In real life the crew not expecting it had something like 5 seconds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004

Last edited:
Gregster, could you explain me how come the first step in a MCAS malfunction isn't to disable the autopilot and take control manually ?
It's maybe too simplistic but I read that MCAS doesn't work when AP is disabled.

Thank you,

On that type of advanced plane I don't know specially about the 737 MAX but other modern boeing aircraft are so advanced on technology that even if the auto-pilot/auto-thrust/auto-anything is off as soon as the airplane is in a unusual attitude the auto-pilot connect by itself to try to resolve the situation.

I think most crew in Canada or US are trained about that stab trim disconnect but may not be the case in other country. Specially those who fly different model of the 737 that does not have that system. We recently learned that Westjet pilot prior to lion air was not train on that MCAS system when they did their difference training between the different 737 model they fly. I know now they do.

There is for sure an issue with low timer first officer in country outside north america that does not help. Just like Gregster video posted about the children of magenta.

There is an issue with that plane, there has been multiple report of the airplane diving nose down on take off when the auto pilot has been engaged, 99% of the time the crew did disconnect the auto-pilot and applied the proper procedure to take control of the airplane.

Regardless AC is down 24 frames on a fleet that is already stretched out. Many new routes that were launched and are being launched were built around the MAX.. YUL-DUB , YUL- BOD for example ...

I'm sure CBC already has the "my family got stuck at the airport and all we got was a voucher" reports ready to go.
Exactly at the same time you posted lol

https://torontosun.com/news/nationa...-frustration-after-boeing-airliner-groundings

Exactly at the same time you posted lol

https://torontosun.com/news/nationa...-frustration-after-boeing-airliner-groundings

Mon frère partait à Hawai hier matin avec une escale à Calgary, arrivé à Calgary son vol s’est fait annulé, aucune communication aucune organisation, on lui a dit qu’il devait se trouver d’autres billets pour Hawai lui-même, il a loué un hotel pour dormir la nuit à Calgary, pas de linge d’hiver avec sa blonde pis son gars.

Il reprennait l’avion aujourd’hui pour seattle, ensuite un autre vol pour portland, ensuite pour maui, il devrait arriver vendredi 2 jours en retard. Tsé quand les vacances commencent bien :)

Mon frère partait à Hawai hier matin avec une escale à Calgary, arrivé à Calgary son vol s’est fait annulé, aucune communication aucune organisation, on lui a dit qu’il devait se trouver d’autres billets pour Hawai lui-même, il a loué un hotel pour dormir la nuit à Calgary, pas de linge d’hiver avec sa blonde pis son gars.

Il reprennait l’avion aujourd’hui pour seattle, ensuite un autre vol pour portland, ensuite pour maui, il devrait arriver vendredi 2 jours en retard. Tsé quand les vacances commencent bien :)
Travel insurance on a CC will reimburse the costs

Sure, no amount of money will give you back all the fucks you gave that day though.
So do you think it's easy running an airline on the best days? What about a day when planes get grounded and thousands of passengers need rebooking and have to be dealt with? On top of the general daily stuff that happens during spring break! Yea it sucks for everyone including passengers but you can't expect miracles in a couple hours.

Back