I've had a genius idea for an app that could help make driving safer

lord_galathon

Using the car's static information (weight, type of tyres and brakes, transmission) and the surrounding atmospheric conditions (weather, driving surface, temperature) and the car's current speed, we could use the smartphone's computer to calculate the estimated braking distance to stopped in feet (or meters) - then display the estimate on a gauge that would look like this:

feet.JPG

That could be more useful than an actual speedometer IMHO because think about it: what you're really doing with a speedometer is encourage people to drive faster. I mean how often have you heard the driver say: "I was driving 170km/h down whatever highway..."

You never hear them boast: "I would've taken 623ft to come to a complete stop." do you?

you have to take into account all of that information for the car ahead of you with the distance between them, then calculate the difference, subtract the reaction time, and bingo. you got a system that tells the user that in case of full stop, he's screwed. brake and tire wear, ground temperature.. lots of factors involved. most people don't know what 220 feet look like.

C'est ce que tu appelles une idée de génie? La variable physique a très peu d'importance dans ton équation, c'est le temps de réaction qui compte. La tu veux qu'un conducteur passe plus de temps à regarder son cluster pour connaitre sa marge de manoeuvre en cas d'urgence? lololol ok

it's a good idea, the problem is that to calculate everything(or close to) that could impact your braking distance would take a little bit more in the area of algorythms and AI (I know a term being used for everything in our days, but the idea is to have something that has lots of data to compare to and take decisions in regards of that data and it's own algo's)

you have to take into account all of that information for the car ahead of you with the distance between them, then calculate the difference, subtract the reaction time, and bingo. you got a system that tells the user that in case of full stop, he's screwed. brake and tire wear, ground temperature.. lots of factors involved. most people don't know what 220 feet look like.

here's a photo of 220 feet (assuming none of the 110 people in the photo are amputees or have extra legs...)

About+110+people+came+together.jpg

Besides - I just want to account for YOUR stopping distance, the other cars are irrelevant as they will also use the same app.

soooo I'm suposed to look at my phone instead of foward....seem legit.

So you drive looking at your speedometer instead of forward? Seem legit...

The point of a speedometer is that you look at it once in a while. The same applies to my gauge.

better : i slow down for speed trap ...thanks waze.

what about a system that obliges LLH to move to right ...save 50% of road rages .

Last edited:
it should be also made so you can hook it up to an OBD2 bluetooth dongle and pop in additional gauges and info like Torque does. Maybe some sensors could be used to determine outdoor temp and whatnot...I don't think you could get access to the traction control info though, but it would be pretty cool if you could.

This should be integrated to the next Tesla’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

probably already exists, or something similar to that, maybe not as advanced, but considering they pretty much drive them selves I would assume it takes into account more than my collision prevention on the the corolla, although is working incredibly great already

This should be integrated to the next Tesla’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's already there. Just no GUI for the driver, but the system uses a similar algo.

Matantes wouldn't even know what to do with this gauge.

"But it was green" ............... :dunno:

Back