How Much is a Race Used Set of Vettel's F1 Wheels Worth?

Stirl_ae86

Legacy Member
$384 apparently.

I was shocked when I came across this yesterday... They definitely failed to get word of this sports auction out to the right audience, I can't believe how little some items sold for.

289521_0.jpg

A race used group of four OZ Racing brand front wheels from a Red Bull Racing Formula 1 race car. The magnesium alloy wheels feature an inset ring design that bisects the 10 spokes. Being one of only four drivers to have won four or more Drivers' titles, Vettel is among the most successful F1 drivers of all time.

$384.

https://www.julienslive.com/m/lot-d...55?url=/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/265?page=3

2008 WILLIAMS F1 FW30 RACE USED REAR WING ASSEMBLY AND AIRBOX WITH NICO ROSBERG F1 RACE USED WILLIAMS DRIVER'S KIT BAG?

How about $256?

289493_0.jpg

289485_0.jpg

289487_0.jpg

https://www.julienslive.com/m/lot-d...46?url=/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/265?page=3

Plenty more interesting finds:
https://www.julienslive.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/265?page=3

Mind blown! I would have bought these 2 lots in a heartbeat at that price.

Center lock wheel. Pas grand chose a faire avec ça lol

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Think big 'sti... These would look amazing in someone's man-cave.

That spoiler would be a perfect fit on Outsider's newly stanced whip...

Just because the bid closed at that doesn't mean they have to sell them to you at that cost. What it means is you "won" the auction, they will come back with what they want for the piece. Any F1 wing is worth more than 400$..

Stuff like wheel nuts, wheels etc aren't worth too much. The body panels, engine blocks are worth coin. Front and rear wings are very sought after bits

Just because the bid closed at that doesn't mean they have to sell them to you at that cost. What it means is you "won" the auction, they will come back with what they want for the piece. Any F1 wing is worth more than 400$..

Stuff like wheel nuts, wheels etc aren't worth too much. The body panels, engine blocks are worth coin. Front and rear wings are very sought after bits

There's no indication that there was any reserve price. To me, "Lot closed - Winning bid:$384" means they were sold for $384. Otherwise, it would likely say "reserve not met". It is entirely possible though.. All depends on the consignor.

There's no indication that there was any reserve price. To me, "Lot closed - Winning bid:$384" means they were sold for $384. Otherwise, it would likely say "reserve not met".
No it wouldn't. Its not eBay

I've bid in auctions like this. What you win is first dibs .. or they relaunch the auction amongst the top bidders in a winner takes all. Whoever fronted those parts after the auction fees would get like 200$ for a part that's worth 2000$. Most used racing parts are worthless but not F1 pieces.. the rarest are actually race used tires

The Marussia/Manor auction auction was split with those people and another auction house. That's how it works

Pay attention to Memento Exclusives website in a few weeks for the parts.

Car auctions work similar...

I've never bought from e-bay but have participated in a few auctions and I wouldn't say that's universally how it works. Sometimes items sell well below their "value".

I've bid in auctions like this. What you win is first dibs .. or they relaunch the auction amongst the top bidders in a winner takes all. Whoever fronted those parts after the auction fees would get like 200$ for a part that's worth 2000$. Most used racing parts are worthless but not F1 pieces.. the rarest are actually race used tires

The Marussia/Manor auction auction was split with those people and another auction house. That's how it works

If this isn't clearly stated, then this is dishonest AF. I've won a bid on some Cosworth DFV parts and the price was what I had bid on, no surprises...

Not sure about Pirelli, but I know getting a race used Michelin is essentially impossible.

Not sure about Pirelli, but I know getting a race used Michelin is essentially impossible.
About the same with Pirelli's.. you can get a replica showtire pretty easily or something off the shelf. We have some old slicks at work. But WEC LMP1 or F1 forget it

I work in the auction biz..........the comment above, sorry in advance to the person who wrote it, is a bunch of bullshit.

So essentially it works like this:
The Auction house holds the actual auction and deals with all the prep/marketing work
Items are provided to the auction house via consignment
Consigners negotiate a reserve price (not mandatory) and a commission rate....meaning the amount of money the auction house will take on the final sale price of items.
Auction house also charges a Buyers premium to the buyer....so essentially the auction house makes money on both ends.

You can bid via absentee bids, by phone, live in person or online....the people in the room always have priority over the others.

You place the winning bid you have a legally binding contract to purchase......if a buyer gets cold feet the auction house might just cancel on small priced items as most of the time it's not worth the hassle.

With all that said is not to say that after the fact the consigner may decide not to sell his items but it would be highly unlikely......Auctioneers are very tightly regulated in the USA, each states has it's own laws and it's taken very seriously and as mentioned by somebody this would be dishonest af.

And it would be much more worthwhile to do some shill bidding and boost up the sale price of the items for future auctions in the event that the items did not really sell, just so those sold prices become benchmarks, even if not true.

I took a quick peek at the Terms and conditions...25% Buyers premium, 3% online fee........and the prices paid are not that far off the estimates (Which are notoriously high or low all depending) they are very rarely on the money.

You know what I love about MR is how someone can post a real experience and then get shit on. My experience is what happened with Manor F1 auction, you had to re-bid on items with the top bidders, all I wanted was some wing end plates. Thanks for the giant post though.

You know what I love about MR is how someone can post a real experience and then get shit on. My experience is what happened with Manor F1 auction. Thanks for the giant post though.

Maybe it's the condescending way you post that invites such a reply.

Your post essentially comes off as "No, you're wrong. This is how it works and that's that."

Just saying..

Pointing out that your one personal experience with an auction doesn't represent how they universally work= butthurt. Gotcha.

Hey Swappy guy with the PHd in the auction biz, how are these items certified. How do I know what I'm buying is what they claim I'm buying? Using the wheels as an example, there is no mention of any certifying body having reviewed the product. How do the auction laws protect me from fraudulent listings?

Back