How you can order the Chevette

The difference is they aren't rotted out after 4 years and if you crash you don't die. The safety systems don't get in the way of driving all that much. How much are you actually pushing it on the street where they start activating?

On any loose surface ( snow/gravel/mud) abs/esp suck goat balls and it's proved. On those cheap cars those system can't be turned off for winter condition. Try braking going downhill on a snowy road with abs, your braking disance will be super long even at very slow speed.

Steel/paint quality got better thats a given, but longevity of parts i'm not sure. Not so long ago everything was greasable, i had original wheel bearing and ujoint on my old toyota with 350k km, i don't think you will see that with ungreasable parts. It's not for nothing that heavy machinery got ten thousand zerk fitting.

On any loose surface ( snow/gravel/mud) abs/esp suck goat balls and it's proved. On those cheap cars those system can't be turned off for winter condition. Try braking going downhill on a snowy road with abs, your braking disance will be super long even at very slow speed.

Steel/paint quality got better thats a given, but longevity of parts i'm not sure. Not so long ago everything was greasable, i had original wheel bearing and ujoint on my old toyota with 350k km, i don't think you will see that with ungreasable parts. It's not for nothing that heavy machinery got ten thousand zerk fitting.
Yes but your Toyota was built by people who had a clue and will survive several nuclear wars / alien invasion. I will admit I do miss grease fittings on cars and trucks. As for parts... I'm not sure. Nothing lasted, CV joints, Alternators, Fuel Pumps... Exhaust systems. The only bummer is now stuff is so expensive to fix.

2b78c663d521ebef97c83713430f2145.jpg

The difference is they aren't rotted out after 4 years and if you crash you don't die. The safety systems don't get in the way of driving all that much. How much are you actually pushing it on the street where they start activating?

Cars now actually work properly when cold and hot, have heat in the winter, require minimal maintence. It's sorta nice to have air that doesn't stink like raw fuel as well Boring to drive? Yes there are some boring cars but really excitement in a 55hp 3sp auto Chevette with period correct GM build quality?

I remember the malaise era heaps very well. It's not like Europe was producing lots of great stuff as well, so don't think I'm tossing GM under the bus here

Oui les voitures ont fait du chemin. Grand merci aux systèmes à injection et elles rouillent beaucoup moins aussi.

Pour les aides à la conduite, ça gosse à chaque fois que je conduis (DBW- Throttle lag).

Oui les voitures ont fait du chemin. Grand merci aux systèmes à injection et elles rouillent beaucoup moins aussi.

Merci aux Allemands pour la galvanisation des body et acier, et merci aux japonais pour tout le reste (pour l'amélioration de la qualité général, des méthodes de production etc.).

Dans les années 70, les 3 grands ont été pissé en même temps et ont manqué le bateau. Ils en souffrent encore aujourd'hui.

I thank GM for producing cars like the Chevette in the 80s- it put kids through college and kept my dad's auto-part store quite busy! The Ford Tempo sent my brothers to university!

Mes parents était pauvre jadis, ils ont acheté used un Acadian pour 200$ dans les années 90 pour que ma mere puissent aller au travail...

Ben l'esti d'Acadian, chaque matin, démarrait au quart de tour et nous droppait a l'école pour ensuite se rendre au travail a ma mere.

Mes parents l'ont revendu 400$ 2 ans apres....

Qui aurait pu penser qu'un Acadian était un investissement...

La Chevette Scooter, c'était ce qu'il y a de plus simple.

L'intérieur était plus que minimaliste.

Les portes étaient en métal, sauf pour un trim qui ressemble à de la massonite qui était tenu avec des pins.

http://smclassiccars.com/uploads/po...scooter-hatchback-2-door-16l-no-reserve-4.JPG

In 1990, I had sex in a 1986 Chevette Scooter. Front seat passenger seat. Those were the days. Now if kids got caught they'd get listed as sex offenders.

Cars now actually work properly when cold and hot, have heat in the winter, require minimal maintence. It's sorta nice to have air that doesn't stink like raw fuel as well Boring to drive? Yes there are some boring cars but really excitement in a 55hp 3sp auto Chevette with period correct GM build quality?

I remember the malaise era heaps very well. It's not like Europe was producing lots of great stuff as well, so don't think I'm tossing GM under the bus here

Actually, Chevettes were relatively reliable for their time. Did you know the original Fiero was based on the Chevette?

It was based on whatever the GM parts bin had in it then loosely built . You had chevette at the front, X Body at the rear

The hilarious part is people are getting watery eyes over it

ahhh les bonnes année ou tu avais le choix entre une Aries K, une ford Tempo et des chevettes lol

J'ai vu une Tempo il n'y a pas trop longtemps. Par contre des Chevettes et Aries K m'en rappelle pas. La Tempo et Topaz c'était plus de mon époque. Les parents de mon ami avaient une Tempo V6. Dans mes souvenirs, ça marchait pas pire.

My Mom got one of these in 1979. This was the car I would steal in the middle of the night when I was a teenager. This is the car I had to change the tire on the freeway when I was 14, with no training. This is the car I got stuck in a ditch when on one of my excursions, and had to get a nearby farmer to haul it out with his tractor. Nobody was any the wiser until I told her many years later.

I thank GM for producing cars like the Chevette in the 80s- it put kids through college and kept my dad's auto-part store quite busy! The Ford Tempo sent my brothers to university!

They were pretty reliable but they needed frequent carb adjustments and regular plugs/wires/cap/rotor replacements. The rest of the parts were from the V6/V8 cars. The starters/alternators were all from full GM cars/trucks. The bellhousing was very large to house the TH200 from V6 cars. Same with the 4speed. The distributor was from a V8 with 4 of the 9 leads removed. There were lots of these on the streets of the Plateau in the 80's. Other than the already mentioned tin can sheet metal that rotted away you couldn't kill this car.

La Chevette étais une Opel Kadett/Vauxhall Chevette rebadgée pour l'amérique du nord carrément.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

They were pretty reliable but they needed frequent carb adjustments and regular plugs/wires/cap/rotor replacements. The rest of the parts were from the V6/V8 cars. The starters/alternators were all from full GM cars/trucks. The bellhousing was very large to house the TH200 from V6 cars. Same with the 4speed. The distributor was from a V8 with 4 of the 9 leads removed. There were lots of these on the streets of the Plateau in the 80's. Other than the already mentioned tin can sheet metal that rotted away you couldn't kill this car.
Add the LeCar, Sunbird and late 70s Civic to the cars of the plateau in that era. Source grew up on plateau in 80s/90s..

There were lots of garages as well that no longer exist. I can still name 5-10 that were always full with most being owned by either an angry Greek or Pissed off Azorian

ahhh les bonnes année ou tu avais le choix entre une Aries K, une ford Tempo et des chevettes lol

Tu oublis le Volkswagen fox 4 vitesses !

150$ toffé 1 an sans mettre une cenne et revendu 500$ ! Quality made in Brasil

Back