what Are your liabilities/ coverage when going around a track

student13

Hi folks wondering if your go round a track ,
And you damage another guys car what are your responsibilities legally?

I would imagine that the race course makes you sign legal waivers not holding them responsible but that’s ....between you and the track but what about you ....... and some other Guys car you hit there is no legal waiver , (and I imagine there must be insurance clauses in your contract that on a track your insurance is null and void ).

None legally.

But there is a gentleman's agreement that if cause damage to another person's car you pay for it. I guess you could file in small claims as well but there is risk with motorsports.

Some might dispute what I will say but my new policy specially says any use on a race track will null and void my coverage regardless of it being a race event, high performance driver education, driving school, timed event etc. It doesn't matter what you are doing but if it's on a track I am NOT covered. This is where things are headed

Google "responsabilité civile, acceptation des risques"

Si je scrap une Porsche à 100k c'est certain que je ne serai pas gentleman et que je vais demander à mon avocat comment éviter de payer.

Google "responsabilité civile, acceptation des risques"

Si je scrap une Porsche à 100k c'est certain que je ne serai pas gentleman et que je vais demander à mon avocat comment éviter de payer.

I do generally understand acceptation de risques , and responsibility civil as per the code civil de Quebec , however ... generally you must sign waivers to “participate” in the action that involves risk.

You don’t have to sign waivers if you are not “immediately implicated” ie I sit. In prestige platinum seats and puck bounces off Carey prices stick and hits my head .

That being said do tracks make you sign waivers against suing other participants?

I do generally understand acceptation de risques , and responsibility civil as per the code civil de Quebec , however ... generally you must sign waivers to “participate” in the action that involves risk.

You don’t have to sign waivers if you are not “immediately implicated” ie I sit. In prestige platinum seats and puck bounces off Carey prices stick and hits my head .

That being said do tracks make you sign waivers against suing other participants?
The ticket you purchase to the match has the waiver on it and you purchasing the ticket means you agree to the terms. Now there are excepts like obvious negligence and not operating in a safe environment. It's happened with the pucks to the head and in Nascar.. for Nascar it was to do with the cars etc getting into the fence.

Those waivers the tracks make you sign you held up pretty well in court for the most part in terms of lapping days... They are mostly there to cover their ass and the organization hosting the event.

I will admit this is a great question you asked. However as I always say.. if you track a car you need to accept the risk of a crash. I would also check your life insurance policy to see if you are covered for such events... That would be more concerning vs a car

You may also want to get disability coverage cause if you hurt yourself on a track SAAQ insurance is void and will not cover any injury or income loss if it happens on a track.

Pas de couverture d'assurances sur la track.. c à nos risques..ma blonde est dans les assurances depuis 25 ans....

You may also want to get disability coverage cause if you hurt yourself on a track SAAQ insurance is void and will not cover any injury or income loss if it happens on a track.
You are correct about that. The older I get the more I am concerned with having proper coverage for things. Sadly you need to make sure that coverage says for "off road use"

Pas de couverture d'assurances sur la track.. c à nos risques..ma blonde est dans les assurances depuis 25 ans....
He isn't asking about Insurnace persay but rather can you be held legally liable for damage to another person's car if you smash them or they smash into you because you spun etc

Everyone here has amazing points ,including arch nemesis Gregster.

It should be noted that radio Canada enquete or maybe JE recently did a nice job doing a news expose on SAAQ disability insurance and how people who were normally
driving to work got fucked over for disability claims . I can just imagine that how bad it must be for track goers and the problems of track insurance if such an instrument exists for motor sports participants

This question was brought on by my desire to lap the Nordschleife once In my life ...... then I saw some Nurburgring crash videos and thought I don’t need to be a hero .

I decided to downgrade my dreams
and decided to maybe try Tremblant , or other track near Montreal, but then the
legal questions ......started to swirl.

I've inquired about this. The waiver that you sign at the track has a clause that says you aren't liable for causing damage to others cars and they arent liable for causing damage to your car. It's held up in court I'm told unless there is gross negligence you can prove.. IE the car wasn't mechanically fit.

As for the ring. Having been there, get a prepped Polo or Up! Or Swift. There are lots of rental places near the track that can provide you with such a car. The ring only bites you when you think "you've mastered" it .. the track is very narrow in some sections and has very high curbs. What happens you you start building speed after 5-6 laps.. nail a curb and lose it... The big yellow tow truck comes to pick you up for 200€

But wait there's more... Your car gets hauled off to an impound yard where if you want it back.. you need to cough up the fees for track damage.

Fees for track damage. !!!! WTF . That should sort of be included in your track fees?

Here the club will get billed

At the ring youu damage the armco, it gets billed to you and guess what it's stacked 3 high.. time lost because of closure, it's billed to you as well. I actually know a guy that wrecked, cost him 4000 euros before he got his car back

Btw the nordschleife is technically a one way toll road.

Also they have spotters for rental cars.. I'll get into that later

When my car caught fire at mecaglisse he charged me the fire extinguisher refills but not the time for the track clean up thankfully. Other than landscaping you cannot really damage anything there.

When my car caught fire at mecaglisse he charged me the fire extinguisher refills but not the time for the track clean up thankfully. Other than landscaping you cannot really damage anything there.
many tracks will charge you to replace the barriers, if you damage them.

Back