Manitoba man gets 5years after defending his life & killing intruder

Can you even read? It says justified self defence went too far.

Get outta here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manitoba man gets 5years after defending his life & killing intruder

The law applies to everyone. Civilians, police, etc.

I doubt stabbing the intruder 13 times was necessary.

See below :

25 (1) Every one who is required or authorized by law to do anything in the administration or enforcement of the law

(a) as a private person,

(b) as a peace officer or public officer,

(c) in aid of a peace officer or public officer, or

(d) by virtue of his office,

is, if he acts on reasonable grounds, justified in doing what he is required or authorized to do and in using as much force as is necessary for that purpose.

(3) Subject to subsections (4) and (5), a person is not justified for the purposes of subsection (1) in using force that is intended or is likely to cause death or grievous bodily harm unless the person believes on reasonable grounds that it is necessary for the self-preservation of the person or the preservation of any one under that person’s protection from death or grievous bodily harm.

If he, at first, suceeded to defend himself and the intruder started running away and he caught up to him to fight and stab him multiple times in an act of revenge, well, he went too far...

I’m sure there are aggravating circumstances that we are not aware of.

To me as long as you are a threat you are free game, if you are still trying to fight after receiving 12 stabbings, or still fighting to get the knife back to finish what you've started, you are still a threat and you get stabbed more till you are not a threat anymore. There are no second chances when you are fighting for your life.

The problem is there is no evidence that the original attacker continued fighting after being stabbed 12 times.

Short of being on enough meth, no one is fighting back after being stabbed 12 times. Your muscles are literally being cut apart.

The problem is there is no evidence that the original attacker continued fighting after being stabbed 12 times.

Short of being on enough meth, no one is fighting back after being stabbed 12 times. Your muscles are literally being cut apart.
totally agree...but I couldn't call it manslaughter. Overdone? Sure.

...but this wasn't even burglary; the intruder was cutting the guy's head! Man...I would make sure that intruder doesn't survive if that happened to me. I'd give him 6 months for "lets not encourage people to brutally slaughter thieves".

Manslaughter is unintentionally killing someone. Fits the definition rather well.

Either way, having been home while someone broke into my apartment, this situation has haunted me for years.

Manslaughter is unintentionally killing someone. Fits the definition rather well.

Either way, having been home while someone broke into my apartment, this situation has haunted me for years.
he probably did intend to kill (with 13 stabs, it's hard not to kill someone) but can you blame him? that's extreme home intrusion, out of a freakin horror movie.

he probably did intend to kill (with 13 stabs, it's hard not to kill someone) but can you blame him? that's extreme home intrusion, out of a freakin horror movie.

If so, why would he lie to police about a knife being used?

"He initially denied to police on numerous occasions that a knife was used in the attack, which Cummings called a "concerted effort" to lie about what happened on the deck. "

Not the sharpest tool in the shed if you think you can stab a person 12-13 times and then deny a knife came into play.

This is no stranger/ random crime. This is a rez crime. Both parties were known to each other and there was "bad blood" between them. Both had been drinking and the survivor appears to be an unreliable witness.

Welcome to the rez. The part of Canada we like to pretend doesn't exist.

faut faire super attention avec defense legitime. y vont toujours essayer de dire que yavait un meilleur scenario.

yaurait du le stabber une fois dans le cou au lieu de 13 fois pour pas se mettre dans marde.

Can you imagine you're chilling at home or sleeping and someone is in your house? when you're with your gf/wife or kids? I will assume the worst and act accordingly.
You don't break someone's sactuary and expect to go home in 1 piece.

Can you imagine you're chilling at home or sleeping and someone is in your house? when you're with your gf/wife or kids? I will assume the worst and act accordingly.
You don't break someone's sactuary and expect to go home in 1 piece.

Sadly with our laws in place you will do more time for killing the intruder vs them breaking into your house, raping your wife/kids and then stabbing you. The prosecution will paint a picture of the intruder as a troubled soul and how the system failed him.

Sadly with our laws in place you will do more time for killing the intruder vs them breaking into your house, raping your wife/kids and then stabbing you. The prosecution will paint a picture of the intruder as a troubled soul and how the system failed him.

No.

Quelqu'un rentre chez nous avec des mauvaises intentention? je vais le ''stabber'' autant de fois que je le veux.... c'est pas mal la récompense qu'il doit avoir pour son geste

I love it when people pull facts out of their asses in an effort to complain about inexistent situations.

Certain d'entre vous oublier le point le plus important de l'histoire... C'est un crime commis sur une réserve amérindienne entre 2 peau rouge.. Cet histoire est le parfait d'exemple d'un problème d'une société qui a pas réussi a s'adapté et dont l'homme blanc préfère ignorer et isoler dans des camps.

Back