FR-S / BRZ, aware me

IS300's are hard to find in good shape as mentioned, plus they consume about 50% more fuel than an FR-S. Burns more than a 370z even.

OP: Don't bother suggesting any other car.

MR: You should buy (insert anything but an FR-S/BRZ here)

Op seems to think he's buying a reliable Toyota when most of this car is from Fuji Heavy Industries.

I don't know much Toyota this Toyota is, but usually when Toyota has a hand into producing a vehicle they go through strict monitoring of just about anything. Unless I'm wrong.

How much Fuji heavy industries is into a Toyobaru and what's bad about it? aside from shitty headgaskets on Subaru's? thankfully this thread clearly says aware me.

From someone who owns one(BRZ Sportech).

I'm old, kids left house.
I have motorcycles.
Engine is loud but you ride a bike, how bad can it possibly be? Not much padding on this car, keeps it light.
Torque dip, yep, but after a few yrs I no longer noticed, kinda. (Are you racing someone every time you go to the store?)
I just put a header/tune & it cost just over 1K$, no dip, was such a tasty dip too....
Back seats are good for dwarfs with no legs.
Space, You can put more ping pong balls in the back then in your tank bag, what more do you need?
Seriously, I went camping for 2 weeks with my wife, 2 summers in a row too! So tent, cooler, stove, chairs etc... I could still see out the back window.
I'm really good at tetris.
Valves, well some MY13 had issues, any MY13 still running without the recall are fine. It seems the springs broke within 10k.
Many MY13 have over 100k & no issue. Guess what MY13 are first yr production of a new car... hmmmmm.
8l/100km is about my average, 70k km, no issues, I like to red line.
Oh, I autoX & HPDE, I ain't no track rat... just for fun... may as well enjoy the car.
Since were on this subject, when would you be under 4/5k when autoX/HPDE.. Just asking, you know that dip at 3/4,500 ....
More info, some folks are over 200k & no issues. I would buy a MY14 & up.
I found out when you but the back seats down, you can put 24 beers in the space between the seats, lots of room or bottles of wine
you know, when you go camping....
Winter driving... no idea, I only use my car in summer but rumors are it's ok/good with good winter tires, as you mentioned.
& how did the human race make it through the 40's/50's/60's/70's with RWD in winter, amazing the race is still alive.
For people on this site a car is special, personal, so what do you need/want.
Did I miss something?
YES!! I did, for HPDE, the issue with this engine is oil pressure, so 5W30 with a Forester water to oil cooler & off you go.
& that "fast" thing, Toyobaru made a 200hp, 150tq sport car, what do you expect, 350hp with 350tq?
I was at Icar last night & a GT3 & GT350 were doing 2 min laps... An FRS slowest lap was 1.52
So, hmmm. Did the GT3 have problems, was it in traffic, was he on his out lap, not that I could see.
In all fairness I did only check 2 laps, while the FRS did all laps between 1.49/1.52.
I'll go with driver mods here, you can have a great car but if you don't know how to drive, your slow.
I think this car is plenty fast for me, do I want more, of course, why not, 300hp, next yr 400hp, & on & on.....
Some are over 200k miles with no issues.
Crickets, use Shell, it has no ethanol.
Clutch throw out bearing, on MY13/14/15/16, 17?, will need to be re[placed eventually. before 100k km.

Read FT86club.com best site for this platform

Last edited:
Wow, cheers man. Tasty infos I needed.
Especially on the luggage / beer & wine storage / wife and camping part and the reliability maintenance. I appreciate your opinion.

I'm not shopping for a fast car. My idea is a fun car, that has somehow practicality, and Toyota reliability. Not keen to do lapping or autoX, but since it seems to come as default with the car, I might give it a shot since its flickable.

Found one in Brossard, will go check one out for closer inspection. No toyota dealers has one on the showroom.

Bruce, you mentioned a few times , Toyota reliability, the FRS/GT86/BRZ is 95% Subaru.
The only thing that I can think of which is Toyota, is the D4S injection system.

Here is the story about this car.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5274

As mentioned already, the 6 speed tranny is Toyota and as also mentioned, Toyota won't put their badge on a product that doesn't meet their reliability standards. Those standards have probably changed a bit since the 90's, but still..

IS300's are hard to find in good shape as mentioned, plus they consume about 50% more fuel than an FR-S. Burns more than a 370z even.

OP: Don't bother suggesting any other car.

MR: You should buy (insert anything but an FR-S/BRZ here)

The last one also rolled off the line in 2005.... It's also not very "sporting" despite people on the internet saying they are... Then you need to pay a stupid high premium for a clean car

Sure, cest pas un rwd donc tu peux pas drifter, mais je preach ma paroisse pour dire a op de essayer une fiesta st avant que il y en ait plus. 2016+ pour avoir carplay/Android auto. Sièges recaro standard. Seule option disponible au Canada c'est le toit ouvrant et la navigation ( pas besoin avec Ton cell). Si t es grand, sans le toit ouvrant ta plus de place pour la tête.

Stock pour stock la fiesta bar la vez sur le 1/4.
Pour 1500$ cad t'es full bolt on 210-220whp/260-70wtq avec une tune 93oct.

Le moteur/tranny/clutch sont safe jusqu'à 375whp.

En masse pour se faire du fun entre deux virages aux Laurentides. Avec des bon pneu tu serais surpris avec quel type de voiture t'es capable de keep up. Un des meilleurs hothatch de la dernière décennie.

Cons: plastiques avec finition/rattles de marde, mais on le sait tout que c'est un econobox a la base donc si ça te derange pas comme moi, c'est parfait.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tu peux aussi ajouter une peinture qui écale comme un cavalier et une visibilité arrière à chier.

Op va te chercher un brz/ frs, pas mal plus le fun qu'un econobox trop puissant. Même à 100hp c'est trop pour un fail wheel drive.

As mentioned already, the 6 speed tranny is Toyota and as also mentioned, Toyota won't put their badge on a product that doesn't meet their reliability standards. Those standards have probably changed a bit since the 90's, but still..
Did the Toyota cavalier really meet their 90s reliability standards?

Last edited:
No, even if the cavalier is one of gm's most reliable car ever.

"Japanese buyers found the panel gaps and general build quality well below their expectations and comfort level, and the whole Toyota Cavalier program as well as the import programs by the other Big Three were phased out"

No, even if the cavalier is one of gm's most reliable car ever.

"Japanese buyers found the panel gaps and general build quality well below their expectations and comfort level, and the whole Toyota Cavalier program as well as the import programs by the other Big Three were phased out"

Lol. It's true that the Cavalier wasn't that bad though, especially if you remove salt and potholes from the equation.

Back