Long range commuter

g-ng, I found 1 wagon 328d and it's 25grand damnit

How reliable are the GLK diesel 2014ish?

Also looking at VW Tdi wagons right now, the cheater ones. 2011 - 2014
They're okay but like all diesels here.. the emission stuff when it breaks and it will is $$$$$. The adbule heater and system is a usual suspect

I don't see the point of paying a premium for maintence and parts just to save a bit of fuel.. The VWs can be had for cheap and are a pretty solid platform.. tune it and enjoy

@gbus has a pretty recent CRV that sees lots of highway mileage. If be curious to hear from him

Keep the same car. If you like your new job, relocate so you're closer to it. Enjoy life.

I had a 40km commute (1 way) It was annoying "losing" an hour every work day. Sounds like you're going to be closer to 1.5- 2h/day mark with traffic. I'm 7.5km away from work now. My commuting expenses are down and I've got a lot more time for myself. It's almost priceless.

Keep the same car. If you like your new job, relocate so you're closer to it. Enjoy life.

I had a 40km commute (1 way) It was annoying "losing" an hour every work day. Sounds like you're going to be closer to 1.5- 2h/day mark with traffic. I'm 7.5km away from work now. My commuting expenses are down and I've got a lot more time for myself. It's almost priceless.

The real culprit as to why I will be commuting long distance is the housing price in that region. It's worse than the south shore/Montreal situation and I dont really mind driving for awhile right now, I will consider moving closer when I can afford it though.

They're okay but like all diesels here.. the emission stuff when it breaks and it will is $$$$$. The adbule heater and system is a usual suspect

I don't see the point of paying a premium for maintence and parts just to save a bit of fuel.. The VWs can be had for cheap and are a pretty solid platform.. tune it and enjoy

@gbus has a pretty recent CRV that sees lots of highway mileage. If be curious to hear from him

2016 CRV is pretty decent except the seats are pretty trash and my back hurts on long drives (4+ hours). Other than that, it averages 8.9l/100kms and I drive it like a rental so pretty impressive given its size and AWD. Also, surprisingly quiet inside at highway speeds. Ohh and base sound system sucks so definately get a well spec'd one. CVT Tranny is ok, its a CRV and does what it needs to do.

I don't think you save money even with 50k km per year vs an economy car.

My Volt was way too expensive vs the savings in gas. I was at 230km per day average. There was no long range electric option except Model S at that time, but still, a $20k Civic would have been much better than a $46k volt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Volt is not the answer here...still have ICE and the battery range is way to short

ICE beside gas has also maintenance costs.

lets say an average small car uses 8L/100KM ===> 8*2.3=18.4L/day====>*1.25$/L of gas===>23$/day just in gas====>*5days==>115$/gas only vs what 12-15$ in electricity that's about 100$/week savings just there which is a small car payment.

You double that because your car have to cost something and you have more that an EV payment...

Volt is not the answer here...still have ICE and the battery range is way to short

ICE beside gas has also maintenance costs.

lets say an average small car uses 8L/100KM ===> 8*2.3=18.4L/day====>*1.25$/L of gas===>23$/day just in gas====>*5days==>115$/gas only vs what 12-15$ in electricity that's about 100$/week savings just there which is a small car payment.

You double that because your car have to cost something and you have more that an EV payment...
Ice or not, EVs that can do 240km a day are expensive, much more than a sample compact car even considering the incentives and the gas.

Maybe today with Kona and soul were getting close though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Long range EV are usually also well equiped. Yes you pay a premium for the EV but you also have all equipment that come with the higher tier compact wich mean that you might pay ~30k$ for the same trim with a gas car. You cant really compare a Model3 and a base civic if this is what you try to do.

My friend that now have a Model3 had a 2015 RDX before the switch and the last thing he told me when i asked him about his new car is that he would never EVER buy a gas car again. His commute was ~100km/day when he got the 3, mostly highway.

Last edited:
Long range EV are usually also well equiped. Yes you pay a premium for the EV but you also have all equipment that come with the higher tier compact wich mean that you might pay ~30k$ for the same trim with a gas car. You cant really compare a Model3 and a base civic if this is what you try to do.

My friend that now have a Model3 had a 2015 RDX before the switch and the last thing he told me when i asked him about his new car is that he would never EVER buy a gas car again. His commute was ~100km/day when he got the 3, mostly highway.

Still makes no sense when you compare it to anything similar.

We made the calculations and you start seeing something that even starts to break in at year 8-9 with the awd option.

Not worth it right now sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

loved my sportwagen 4motion for fuel economy.

On a downtown-south shore daily commute, I would do 7L/100km on average, only highway, would go down to 6.5L/100km.

I'm guessing the auto would even do better.

I'd consider a 2017 4motion DSG if I were you, solid car.

g-ng, I found 1 wagon 328d and it's 25grand damnit

How reliable are the GLK diesel 2014ish?

Also looking at VW Tdi wagons right now, the cheater ones. 2011 - 2014

328d wagon are rare, took me 3 months to find the right one. most of the 2018 were fully decked out to 65k which is ridiculous for 181hp.
honestly, I would get a TDI wagon and delete EGR and DPF. There's no emissions test in Qc, Rawtek makes parts in Rigaud, if you get it tuned properly, it won't puff black smoke.

loved my sportwagen 4motion for fuel economy.

On a downtown-south shore daily commute, I would do 7L/100km on average, only highway, would go down to 6.5L/100km.

I'm guessing the auto would even do better.

I'd consider a 2017 4motion DSG if I were you, solid car.

I get raped on fuel with my 4motion dsg compare to my gf manual tsi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMO - clean Camry 4cylinder with a rear seat cover for the dog.

It's not only about the fuel economy, also for the maintenance costs.

328d wagon are rare, took me 3 months to find the right one. most of the 2018 were fully decked out to 65k which is ridiculous for 181hp.
honestly, I would get a TDI wagon and delete EGR and DPF. There's no emissions test in Qc, Rawtek makes parts in Rigaud, if you get it tuned properly, it won't puff black smoke.
I have the rawtek website up on a tab with they dpf egr delete kit and another tab with malone tuning.

Test drove 2 wagon tdi yesterday, gotta say I'm impressed by how quiet they are. They were both almost base models (cloth, heated manual seats, power window) but I definitly enjoyed it.

Still running the stock exhaust and tune on it and driving like a normal person (highway @116kph on the gps) I am averaging 5.5l/100km. Thats 1/3 city 2/3 highway for anyone wondering.

Not the colour I wished for but it's very clean and low mileage. There was not a single stain on the seats until I made one...

Upcoming :
Tints
Black wheels
Exhaust
Tune
4925e6e377e9551d13d666a996bb5042.jpg

Back