in diesel cars...vw, chevrolet....who else? which are good?

fabchef

hi guys, i've started to have interest in diesel cars. I know that vw's have had their diesels around for years. I also know of the chevy cruze that has a diesel. Any other (cars) that run on diesel (non-luxury)?

1.if looking at the vw or chevy, which would be more reliable (in automatic)?
2. are diesels generally easier to maintain than gas or more complicated?
3. any major issues? with either models?
4. are there other makes out there?

thanks
fab

Problem with modern diesel is all the anti-pollution stuff that breaks all the time and costs a lot to fix. If you invest in taking that out, then yes they become more reliable, however when you add the added cost for the initial buy-in and then a few grand to remove all the crap that breaks, the question becomes was it really worth it? Gas engines have gotten so economical now a days that unless you really do 100k+ kms a year the savings aren't there.

And the WORST part of having a diesel, is having to wear gloves when putting gas, otherwise your hands will always stink.

Last edited:
hi guys, i've started to have interest in diesel cars. I know that vw's have had their diesels around for years. I also know of the chevy cruze that has a diesel. Any other (cars) that run on diesel (non-luxury)?

1.if looking at the vw or chevy, which would be more reliable (in automatic)? Cant say, depends on the generation of the vehicle aka urea or just dpf or whatnot
2. are diesels generally easier to maintain than gas or more complicated? More complicated, need better oil, quality fuel filters and if there's urea well there's that to add too.
3. any major issues? with either models? Again the exhaust systems can lead to major issues and costly filter replacement
4. are there other makes out there?

thanks
fab

Most of the issues highlighted can be solved with a dpf/egr delete but you are no longer emission compliant if u reside in Ontario for example. I am moving to a Vw Golf TDI and made a few homeworks and getting the rawtek dpf egr delete and malone tune (havent decided stage 1 or stage 2).

cheers

Thanks guys, wow...I didn’t think it was that complicated. Was recently in Europe and got taken kn by our renault rental. That td was peppy and fun to drive.
In terms of milage, i think i’m doing between 15-20k km/year. Maybe i should stick to gas?
Fab

Most of the issues highlighted can be solved with a dpf/egr delete but you are no longer emission compliant if u reside in Ontario for example. I am moving to a Vw Golf TDI and made a few homeworks and getting the rawtek dpf egr delete and malone tune (havent decided stage 1 or stage 2).

cheers

Are you looking at DSG or Manual ?

Thanks guys, wow...I didn’t think it was that complicated. Was recently in Europe and got taken kn by our renault rental. That td was peppy and fun to drive.
In terms of milage, i think i’m doing between 15-20k km/year. Maybe i should stick to gas?
Fab

The diesel caught on in Europe MUCH earlier on because their gas has been expensive for much longer than us. In between then and now, gas engines have gotten to a point where they are so cheap, reliable and efficient that diesels don't make much sense, IMO.

Yes they are fun because of that initial torque and they still remain pretty efficient even if you "beat" on them. If you really liked the experience, go for it! But expect to put some money on removing all the DPF and catalytic converts when they start giving you check engines. Usually, its cheaper to remove it all and put a tune on it than to replace the defective parts.

My brother and dad have driven VW TDIs for ages. My dad went the "stock" route and always has a check engine light on. My brother removed all the crap and tuned it and has no check engine lights lol.

With your mileage and preferences, look for a turbo car with regular gasoline, there are plenty on the market these days and it'll drive like a tdi.

If you favor reliability, I'd go naturally aspirated thought, but it will be gutless at low revs.

Le probleme des diesels avec anti polution c'Est que les gens roulent pas assez avec.

Le filtre a particule doit chauffer pour se nettoyer et faire 5-10 min de char pour aller travailler c'est pas assez.

Mes Sprinters j'ai des checks et ca boit de l'urée quand il cross en ville. QUand ca fait de la route et roule pas mal pas un pet de travers et je mets 10l d'urée au 15 000km.

15-20k per year get gas. In Europe Diesel is dying slowly as it's getting harder to pass emissions... In the EU low displacement turbo gas units are becoming more popular as they are cheaper to register (gram/CO2) but offer the same fuel mileage. The car diesel engine will be dead before gas. More cities are looking into diesel ban to reduce smog

Last time I was in the UK I had a 3cyl 1.0 TFSI Skoda. Was fantastic

Thanjs again. Maybe i should stick to gas? It’s seems that smaller displacement engines are where it’s at. I currently have a 10 year old lexus rx350. Good suv. I often miss the drive of a car. Tirbo engines are fun...only downside (as with my lexus) is that they call for high octane gas. But yes..turbo’s are fun.
Fab

Thanjs again. Maybe i should stick to gas? It’s seems that smaller displacement engines are where it’s at. I currently have a 10 year old lexus rx350. Good suv. I often miss the drive of a car. Tirbo engines are fun...only downside (as with my lexus) is that they call for high octane gas. But yes..turbo’s are fun.
Fab

Not all turbos call for premium.

Ford’s run on 87 octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moi j'irais aussi avec un moteur turbo à essence moderne.

J'ai un Accord 1.5T, et je suis à 7.0L/100 km de Average sur les 18 000 dernier KM, donc incluant l'hivers, et sa marche à l'essence ordinaire. J'ai essayer une fois du super mais aucun gain.

En été, je fait facilement entre 5.2 et 5.8 sur autoroute a 115 km-heure.

Sa, c ma meilleur "consommation", aller retour Victo-Québec à 105 km-heure. Une journée fraiche de début juin, donc pas trop d'AC. Ceci inclue même un 30 minute d'embouteillage pour sortir de Quebec.

Accord.jpg

Not all turbos call for premium.

Ford’s run on 87 octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my sportwagen does as well.

Most turbo econobox will run on 87. But don't expect sensational performance though.

I do lots of highway (40,000km+ year) and when I check how much I spend on gas vs diesel with the current price, my TDI is actually a bit more expensive but I don't need to stop by every 2-3 days (more like 5-6 days now)
As for maintenance VW recommends a DSG service every so often and it's like a $5-600 service as well as oil changes are more expensive too (if you don't do them yourself)

I bought this car so I can have it for a good 5 years+ without worrying about the engine going bad but I'll admit all things considered the only benefit I have right now is that I don't have to pump gas twice a week, that's about it.

Back