Is synthetic reccomended for gear oil as well? (80W-90)

Does anyone know where I can find synthetic 80w-90 gear oil? I need to change the transfer case fluid on my 2011 RDX. As per 2011 Acura RDX owners manual:
SAE 90 or SAE 80W-90 viscosity hypoid gear oil, API service classified GL4 or GL5 only.

The manual doesn't recommend synthetic - but I feel its best not to go to dino oil in 2019.

Canadian Tire and Napa only seem to carry conventional 80w-90 oil. Anyone know a source/reccomendation?

Anyone that sells RedLine

it's also not super expensive directly at the dealer for the SAE90, if they still sell it in bulk. Realisitcally you can use any synthetic 75w90 hypoid gear oil GL4 or 5. It won't complain

Anyone that sells RedLine it's also not super expensive directly at the dealer

I didn't realize they'd sell it at the dealer... I assumed they had a massive drum because the transmission/differential oil actually has a Honda Part number in the manual. I'll check them out.
As it turns out the Redline 75W-90 MT-90 oil actually satisfies the 80W-90 requirements- that's option 2.

EDIT: MT-90 doesn't work with hypoid gears

Thanks Greg

Last edited:
I didn't realize they'd sell it at the dealer... I assumed they had a massive drum because the transmission/differential oil actually has a Honda Part number in the manual. I'll check them out.
As it turns out the Redline 75W-90 MT-90 oil actually satisfies the 80W-90 requirements- that's option 2.

Thanks Greg

Yea they do have a drum of whatever they use, they might sell it to you if you bring in a bottle. Prob Castrol or Mobil. Use 75w90 with the correct rating and it will be fine.

FYI for anyone that searched and found this thread from google - MT-90 does not work for hypoid gears - so it actually doesn't work for a gen1 RDX.

We carry the complete line if Redline gear oils- the Gl4s and GL5s- and all synthetic.
MT90 is different than 75w90 etc.

Back