Reciprocity ( in US satates) for demerit point tickets ----- who decides?????

student13

Hi folks,

I just want to know if you get a tickets in NY, ME, ONT, who decides on the amount of demerit points you get ?

This statement from SAAQ seems simple enough, but there are some subtle problems:

Québec has entered into reciprocal agreements with Ontario, Maine and the State of New York. As a result, the SAAQ is notified if you commit an
offence that leads to the entry of demerit points in those jurisdictions. The file is then processed as if the offence had occurred in Québec.

- There are tickets in NY, where you can pay extra to NOT have points on your license. ( another member commented on that I forget who). In such cases who decides?

Hi folks,

I just want to know if you get a tickets in NY, ME, ONT, who decides on the amount of demerit points you get ?

This statement from SAAQ seems simple enough, but there are some subtle problems:

Québec has entered into reciprocal agreements with Ontario, Maine and the State of New York. As a result, the SAAQ is notified if you commit an
offence that leads to the entry of demerit points in those jurisdictions. The file is then processed as if the offence had occurred in Québec.

- There are tickets in NY, where you can pay extra to NOT have points on your license. ( another member commented on that I forget who). In such cases who decides?
Afaik you get Quebec points equivalent to the offence in Quebec.

Not the other states points. Some states have a very different point system

And it's not always enforced the reciprocity

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

you can go on canlii.org
check for c24.2 csr
and check the "reglement" it's all in there

in short they transform that offence to something similare over here and put the points that match that offence

Back