Montreal vs. Manhattan construction

allroad

For most of July, I was on vacation out of Montreal and it felt fantastic to be away from all the traffic and roadwork. We spent 5-days last week/weekend in NYC and had no problem getting in/out via the George Washington Bridge. No orange cones and smooth sailing to our hotel next to Central Park.

No orange cones in NYC, some construction in Brooklyn but nowhere near the wreck of Montreal. I noticed that they work nights and weekends in NYC, none of the B.S. like we have here.

I had to make my way this morning in & around Park Avenue and Little Italy in Montreal, what a mess. So many road closures, no one is working, all abandoned for the weekend.

My wife's GTI taking a beating all along the way.

Sigh...

C'est certain qu'a manhattan y doit faire regulierement -25 et avoir des variations de temperatures de 40 degrés, pis beaucoup de tracteurs camions aussi sur la route...

Yea the night working thing is a rarity here. Outside our hotel in Dublin they repaired a water main leak and had it filled in/ patched in 24hrs. And not just a shitty patch. They repaved a stretch 50ft out on each side.

C'est certain qu'a manhattan y doit faire regulierement -25 et avoir des variations de temperatures de 40 degrés, pis beaucoup de tracteurs camions aussi sur la route...
Then they should be working faster here considering how small the window is. Lots more trucks on JWB and surrounding roads then here in MTL as well.

That's one thing you don't see often in Europe. Are massive trucks driving through a city to get to the other side. The ring roads while not perfect seem to work okayish for the most part.

C est evident que les routes ici n'ont pas été concues pour l utilisation qu'on en fait ajd. L europe est plus populeuse et plus agée que le Kaneda.

C est evident que les routes ici n'ont pas été concues pour l utilisation qu'on en fait ajd. L europe est plus populeuse et plus agée que le Kaneda.
Europe got lucky as lots of cities got flattened in WW2 so they rebuilt and invested in public transit.

In North America driving a car was always cheap and sold as if you didn't own a car you were poor. However here everyone decided to run highways through the cities vs building around the city with feeder roads. Meanwhile in USA "let's run 5 interstates through it" we aren't immune in Canada from poor planning either

Gregster, I wouldn't compare European roads to N.A. Can't compare them. Can't compare the quality of work either.

Gregster, I wouldn't compare European roads to N.A. Can't compare them. Can't compare the quality of work either.

As I said most European cities got flattened so most of what you see in the cities is not as old as one would think. After the war these cities for the most part rebuilt new roadways while keeping the old "medieval" layouts in the city center or out of necessity ... Not all but most did. Paris wasn't touched but was somewhat properly designed during Hausmanns Renovation and some what inspired Hitlers vision of Berlin. During the war plans were already being made to do something similar with London, it sorta got started but never was finished. Hell even the M25 ring was a hodgepodge that took 40 years to finish.

They start too many road constructions at once and then the broken up road just sits there waiting for it's turn to be done.

They did my whole street this spring, already marked for repairs, fantastic.

They start too many road constructions at once and then the broken up road just sits there waiting for it's turn to be done.

They did mine last year. Behind schedule and half assed at the end. Now it's being redone

How much municipal budget per square feet you think they have for roads...

Its another planet at a different scale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup. I was speaking with suppliers to the construction industry 2 weeks ago and Quebec is the place to be for them. However, on the flip side they all said the workmanship is questionable on many sites due to lack of skilled workers and too many projects all at once. They all complained about how the cement doesn't have time to cure properly because projects need to move forward, lots of cracks and not leveled.

The infrastructure of quebec is worse than 3rd world country. its beyond a fucking joke. Last month I was visiting Suzhou, my cousin gave me a lift from Shanghai Intl airport. Driving to Suzhou took about an hour on high way and it was an hour on a 100km+ stretch overpass highway 4 lane each direction.

The infrastructure of quebec is worse than 3rd world country. its beyond a fucking joke. Last month I was visiting Suzhou, my cousin gave me a lift from Shanghai Intl airport. Driving to Suzhou took about an hour on high way and it was an hour on a 100km+ stretch overpass highway 4 lane each direction.
What many forget is that our infrastructure is old. Very old, so old you can't even compare to Mainland China's which was mostly built in the last 10-15 years. They also don't have labor groups, trade unions, environmentalists, citizen groups etc to deal with. So when China wants to built something they just fire up the bulldozers with and endless supply of cheap labor.

An idea on how old the water system is here. Sewage and Fresh. Some areas still have original systems that are almost 100 years old if not older. I know last year when my street was redone it dated back to the late 30s when my house was built. Yea the feed and exit from my place have been replaced but the clay/tar pipes were period correct.

Last edited:
Back