Race Track regulations

android25ua

This question goes out to people that are familiar with or have done lapping, circuit racing or are affiliated with local tracks.

Is it allowed to operate a "home-made" or non standard vehicle on a race track?
Example: the frame is entirely hand-built, the powertrain is pulled out of something standard, the brakes are out of something standard, partially modified, re-located, the suspension is fabricated (arms, end-links and rod ends)
What kind of inspection/certification is required?

All input is appreciated.

At the minimum, your car will need rollover protection and some form of protection cell or cage. Most organisations don't allow open-wheelers to drive at the same time as cars.

Pour un track day, ca doit relevé de l'organisateur qui lui va surement te demander une certification provenant d'un organisme de course.

pour le home made frame, cage..il y a des certification a suivre dépendamment de série et classe que tu compte courir.

Mais ca se fait... LoveFab avec son Enviate HyperCar a fait Pikes Peak avec un char 100% handmade dans un petit garage de cour.

Mais c'était pas un projet fait avec de la broche et du buble gum mettons!

I’m asking this question in part because in my mind, a completely gutted Honda Civic with questionna le suspension components and brake parts is potentially not any safer than a home made race car.

But are there any firm regulations in place or it’s purely subject to track staff opinion and event organizers say?

Depends on the club.

A proper series will have a rule book

The be fair I've never really seen that many crap cans at track days as they cost money to attend

I’m asking this question in part because in my mind, a completely gutted Honda Civic with questionna le suspension components and brake parts is potentially not any safer than a home made race car.

But are there any firm regulations in place or it’s purely subject to track staff opinion and event organizers say?
These are two different things. A car has to be mechanically sound, ie: no worn out tires, cracked rotors, leaking brake lines or other components in bad shape that could cause an accident. Some clubs will require a full mechanical inspection by a certified mechanic while other clubs will ask for a self-inspection where the owner declares that his car is in good shape. Shitboxes are easy to identify and organizers will not hesitate to expel owners who refuse to fix their cars.

The second part is safety equipment. That includes race seats, harnesses, helmets, cages etc... For road-based cars, the standards are pretty simple to apply since the FIA regulations are quite clear. It's harder for artisanal vehicles because they normally can't install a full rollcage inside them and the chassis has to be part of the crash structure. Again, FIA regulations are a good baseline and it's easier to convince racing clubs that your homemade race vehicle is safe if you used FIA specs as a guideline instead of saying "I think it's safe because i followed my feelings."

These are two different things. A car has to be mechanically sound, ie: no worn out tires, cracked rotors, leaking brake lines or other components in bad shape that could cause an accident. Some clubs will require a full mechanical inspection by a certified mechanic while other clubs will ask for a self-inspection where the owner declares that his car is in good shape. Shitboxes are easy to identify and organizers will not hesitate to expel owners who refuse to fix their cars.

The second part is safety equipment. That includes race seats, harnesses, helmets, cages etc... For road-based cars, the standards are pretty simple to apply since the FIA regulations are quite clear. It's harder for artisanal vehicles because they normally can't install a full rollcage inside them and the chassis has to be part of the crash structure. Again, FIA regulations are a good baseline and it's easier to convince racing clubs that your homemade race vehicle is safe if you used FIA specs as a guideline instead of saying "I think it's safe because i followed my feelings."
What I always laughed at was the "oh your FIA harnesses/seats are expired by 1 year sorry can't let you out but the guy in the rolling chicane E30 with 30 year old belts and loose OEM seats is good to go!

Not all clubs tho

As Gregster said it...it depends by club / organizers. They decide, and their reputation is there if something goes wrong...

I've seen 2 handmade Locost during Time Attack events at St-Eustache. Requirements were to have fenders and rollover protection. I think the minimal cage specs are well documented in the Track&Time regulations, using DOM tubing.

In which series would you like to drive with a handmade car? Lapping, Time Attack or wheel-to-wheel? Rules are not the same

^at this point I’m gathering information without a decided direction.
What I was thinking initially is sort of along the lines of formula Renault

^at this point I’m gathering information without a decided direction.
What I was thinking initially is sort of along the lines of formula Renault

Well you just don't jump into a proper series car like that. Not the cheapest to run and you will certainly need a minimum of 2 crew. You are going to have a hard time running an open wheel car here. Sports racer like a Radical or something like that is more accepted at pretty much all events and still plenty fast.

Norma M20/30 is the bizznas

I've seen numerous Caterham and atom type véhicules that were built by the owner at Icar and ASE.

Every club has their can decide what they think is track worthy or not. The track itself doesn't impose the limitations.
If you join a series, they have their criteria clearly indicated in a rule book.
A fully gutted car that has everything working right should not be a problem to track.

for everything else, there is Sanair.

Back